So the Nexus 4 just killed the Optimus G. Why is LG eating itself?

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering this since the rumors began about an LG made Nexus that was almost identical to the Optimus G. In fact, now that its been announced, is an even better version of the Optimus G. The design is much better looking, none of that L-shape boxy nonsense. The processor and RAM is identical. The camera is identical to the 8MP version (the 13MP is a sham), identical screen, and even the shiny nexus-y back pattern is a million times better looking than the ugly crystal dimple thing on the Optimus G. You also get the latest Android update of course, none of that complicated stuff with the LG skin. And for only $299! Or $349, if you need the space. Either way, it is almost half the cost of an Optimus G, which will probably retail for $599.

Why is LG doing this? Releasing a competing product to its flagship phone that is better in almost every respect, especially the price? Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that they are selling it at a break-even price, no profit, just like the Nexus 7. You wouldn't be able to achieve that amazing pricepoint of $299 otherwise. The Optimus G is suppose to be LG's money maker. What in the world are they doing?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I think LG is trying to prove they have good hardware so it might not be a complete loss for them but who knows maybe Google made them an offer they couldn't refuse lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The Optimus G offers LG software and carrier subsidies to those who want it. Sure, I think we can all agree that the Nexus 4 is a better phone in most respects, but I don't think the cannibalization is as bad as it looks.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
To the masses the Nexus 4 and Optimus G are like comparing apples to oranges. Why for one simple reason they didn't put optimus or lg in the name for the masses to make a comparison as we'll not confuse the what nexus brand is. Sales between the two devices will be fine it really comes down to preference which both devices are blantly different beyond specs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
LG is getting their product and name out there and they have succeeded. I would have never considered an LG device till now and I'm ready to give them my money.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind, that at least on Sprint, that 13MP camera is probably going to move this device to some people who may not know any better. Or, actually want to use Sprint's service. This is a great opportunity for LG IMO.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually since the optimus g isn't a nexus phone it will still remain LG's flagship device.

You should instead consider the nexus 4 as LG's contribution to the nexus community.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you not realize that the Nexus 4 doesn't run on AT&T and Spritn survices and with people not wanting to leave their carrier like me obviously the next best thing is the Optimus G. And are you sure it's a better phone? Considering the Sprint Optimus G I'm going to get comes with 32g onboard storage and the one on AT&T comes with 16g and micro sd card slot. So in my mind it's just preference. Do you want to root your phone and have stock Android or do you want a phone with a skin that has stuff baked into it. Do you want more storage or do you want fast updates. Do you want to leave your carrer or do you want to stay on. And honestly all 3 designs of the crystal reflection process that LG made with the global/Sprint Optimus G, AT&T Optimus G, and the Nexus 4 are all beautiful and we can all marvel at the design

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you not realize that the Nexus 4 doesn't run on AT&T and Spritn survices and with people not wanting to leave their carrier like me obviously the next best thing is the Optimus G. And are you sure it's a better phone? Considering the Sprint Optimus G I'm going to get comes with 32g onboard storage and the one on AT&T comes with 16g and micro sd card slot. So in my mind it's just preference. Do you want to root your phone and have stock Android or do you want a phone with a skin that has stuff baked into it. Do you want more storage or do you want fast updates. Do you want to leave your carrer or do you want to stay on. And honestly all 3 designs of the crystal reflection process that LG made with the global/Sprint Optimus G, AT&T Optimus G, and the Nexus 4 are all beautiful and we can all marvel at the design

Doesn't AT&T "run" HSPA+?

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I think they are still two different phones. One has lte and yes I think that's important. And one has a ui which I prefer. This is a good thing for lg. And I will be playing with my lg optimus g on Friday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Uh, really people? We are not talking US only. Even in the US, it will work on AT&T and T-mobile, especially T-mobile's "4G" 42Mbps network. For the rest of the world that uses unlocked GSM phones, it will compete against the Optimus G even moreso. And the biggest point is PRICE. Are you gonna pay $200-300 more for ahem, custom LG software? The microSD version is AT&T only. Other than LTE, they are literally identical. Depending on how much you are willing to pay for the Optimus G, you could even get TWO Nexus 4 phones for the same price.

The Nexus S is a really dumb comparison. It was released way after the Galaxy S had settled in, and the price was a whopping $529. The point is that the Nexus 4 makes NO MONEY, undercuts the Optimus G significantly, and is being released at the SAME TIME.

For the dude that mentioned the 13MP being a draw. Sony has had 12MP and 13MP in their phones for ages. They are not selling at all. Sony is losing their butts. If MP was a big deal, The Nokia PureView has 44MP. Too bad no carrier even bothers carrying it. The 16MP HTC Titan was a flop as well.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I suppose we'll just have to see how things shake out. I suspect that the market for the Nexus 4 won't be as big as the sort of people who spend their days posting on the Android Central forums might imagine based on their own perceptions and preferences, but if it is, so much the better for consumers.

As for the impact on LG, they've been around a while. I doubt anything we may come up with regarding the consequences of their product release schedule is something its management hasn't considered. Even if it turns out that the Nexus 4 does become a huge deal among average consumers, it's based heavily on the Optimus G and LG isn't responsible for maintaining the software, so I don't think it represents a huge resource sink for them.

Ultimately the question for someone interested in the effect on LG's bottom line isn't what the Nexus 4 costs us, it's what Google pays LG per unit for the Nexus 4 compared to what the carriers pay LG per unit for the Optimus G relative to their respective costs. Even if that number is lower for the N4, which may well be the case, bear in mind the mind share LG is buying by getting on board with the Nexus program.

In summary, let LG worry about LG and let us enjoy our awesome cheap phone. :p

soulenigma

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't really think these phones are competitors. The nexus line is really barely known outside the tech savy while the Optimus G will be seen by anyone that walks into their carrier's store. Plus unlike most of us who probably like the latest and greatest even paying full price for it, the average person will want it subsidized at a cheaper price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
They aren't, the Nexus has and always will have a specific audience, the Optimus G is more of a broad range, that and manufacturers WANT to make "the next nexus" they consider it an honor to work with google on their baby. It also gives them first crack at the newest OS version to help their own OS's and features they'd like on their own UI's.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
There are key differences between the Optimus G and Nexus 4. One being that the Optimus G offers 32GB of storage, the other that is has LTE. A lot of people grumbling that the Nexus 4 doesn't have those configurations. I still think the Optimus G will sell well because you go into a carrier store you won't see a Nexus phone, but the Optimus G will be on display. Many people just pick up phones in the stores, they'll never even see the Nexus.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I suppose we'll just have to see how things shake out. I suspect that the market for the Nexus 4 won't be as big as the sort of people who spend their days posting on the Android Central forums might imagine based on their own perceptions and preferences, but if it is, so much the better for consumers.

As for the impact on LG, they've been around a while. I doubt anything we may come up with regarding the consequences of their product release schedule is something its management hasn't considered. Even if it turns out that the Nexus 4 does become a huge deal among average consumers, it's based heavily on the Optimus G and LG isn't responsible for maintaining the software, so I don't think it represents a huge resource sink for them.

Ultimately the question for someone interested in the effect on LG's bottom line isn't what the Nexus 4 costs us, it's what Google pays LG per unit for the Nexus 4 compared to what the carriers pay LG per unit for the Optimus G relative to their respective costs. Even if that number is lower for the N4, which may well be the case, bear in mind the mind share LG is buying by getting on board with the Nexus program.

In summary, let LG worry about LG and let us enjoy our awesome cheap phone. :p

By far the most logical explanation. I just like add that masses will these two devices as two different devices rgardless the specs and most likely will buy a carrier model. I repeat the Nexus 4 is being market like N7 with no affiliation to LG. This why Google did bot our optimus name into the Nexus 4 they learned there lesson with Samsung. The GN and NS marketing had too much of Samsung influence which only boosted Samsung then add Galaxy name to the Nexus giving focus Galaxy series the the nexus concept. The problem of cannibalizing does not apply to masses as the will perceive the two phones to apeal two different market groups.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX