So the Nexus 4 just killed the Optimus G. Why is LG eating itself?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the basic thesis of the OP. It sounds like, "Boo hoo! LG is going to hurt itself by offering customers similar but different phones at different price points! Waaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!"

Who the eff cares?!?

As others have noted, you can't use a Nexus 4 on Verizon or Sprint (i.e. CDMA networks) and Google had to sacrifice LTE rather than put up with Verizon's BS that made the GNex such a disappointment. It's also important to remember that this isn't the "LG Nexus 4" as much as the "Google Nexus 4 (made by LG)." This really good video made by The Verge details how Google brought LG designers physically into the Googleplex in order to get the design they wanted:

Google is working with LG (Nexus 4), ASUS (Nexus 7) and Samsung (Nexus 10) to make reference devices to showcase the experience Google wants to make. I haven't checked, but is anyone crying in the Galaxy Tab forums over Samsung "eating itself" for partnering on the N10?

I'm fed up with Sprint's slow-ass slow data speeds and non-existent 4G of any stripe, not even HSPA+, and was going to bail for AT&T and a Galaxy 3, but held off, waiting for an Amazon penny sale and to see what the new phones were like. With the Nexus 4 being unlocked, I'm going to give AT&T-backed Straight Talk a shot. $45/mo. versus the $78 I'm paying to Sprint = SOLD!!! Bring it on!

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Lg will eventually release a CDMA model of the nexus 4, their not going to leave sprint, or Verizon THE nations largest carrier out of the picture, that would just be plain stupid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Lg will eventually release a CDMA model of the nexus 4, their not going to leave sprint, or Verizon THE nations largest carrier out of the picture, that would just be plain stupid.

I don't think it's LG's call.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site

It's not LG's phone, it's Google's and Andy Rubin said point blank, NO CDMA/LTE. Don't like it, don't buy it.

sweeterman

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus line is a niche product for a small audience. The average consumer will never hear of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not LG's phone, it's Google's and Andy Rubin said point blank, NO CDMA/LTE. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Care to share the exact Rubin quote?

Optimus G anyone?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you not realize that the Nexus 4 doesn't run on AT&T and Spritn survices and with people not wanting to leave their carrier like me obviously the next best thing is the Optimus G. And are you sure it's a better phone? Considering the Sprint Optimus G I'm going to get comes with 32g onboard storage and the one on AT&T comes with 16g and micro sd card slot. So in my mind it's just preference. Do you want to root your phone and have stock Android or do you want a phone with a skin that has stuff baked into it. Do you want more storage or do you want fast updates. Do you want to leave your carrer or do you want to stay on. And honestly all 3 designs of the crystal reflection process that LG made with the global/Sprint Optimus G, AT&T Optimus G, and the Nexus 4 are all beautiful and we can all marvel at the design

The Nexus 4 will absolutely run on AT&T.

Just not AT&T's new LTE network.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google is working with LG (Nexus 4), ASUS (Nexus 7) and Samsung (Nexus 10) to make reference devices to showcase the experience Google wants to make.

P.S. there's three of "five OEMs getting early access to Android". ;)

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The average wireless customer is going to see things like *4G* and *SUBSIDIZED*, and not understand the appeal of the N4. Also, look at how many VZW customers there are. Optimus G has its place.

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say LG is eating itself at all. If anything, I think it's a great idea to have a Nexus 4 and Optimus G on the market. The Nexus brand carriers with it the idea of bleeding edge updates, pure Android, an unlockable bootloader, etc. It's generally considered an enthusiasts phone. The Optimus G on the other hand offers the great features to users who may be intimidated by a Nexus phone, or simply have no desire to play around under the hood.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say LG is eating itself at all. If anything, I think it's a great idea to have a Nexus 4 and Optimus G on the market. The Nexus brand carriers with it the idea of bleeding edge updates, pure Android, an unlockable bootloader, etc. It's generally considered an enthusiasts phone. The Optimus G on the other hand offers the great features to users who may be intimidated by a Nexus phone, or simply have no desire to play around under the hood.

Google is probably paying LG extra (read: subsidizing) to make the Nexus 4 too.

:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

hectorbribiesca

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
LG is banking on the people who wanted LTE on the Nexus 4, is basically the same phone but with LTE and all they have to do is root it and flash stock android. whhalllaaaa nexus 4 with lte

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
LG needs to re-market themselves in the phone world. Google gave them an offer which can do it, if people want LTE and a micro sd card which Nexus lacks (tbh I dont care about these) they can go to the Optimus, so in away they are actually doing something smart.

mland550

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
For me, I bought the LGOG off craigslist to test out LG's build quality on their newest devices. It's a solid phone. Not a single creak, which is far better than I can say about my SGS3, SGS2 and half-dozen other phones from various manufacturers. The screen is brilliant, the software doesn't hiccup a bit and the only thing I'm debating on is the absence of LTE on the Nexus, which I'll test side-by-side on T-Mo's DC-HSPA network here in LA before I decide which one to keep. In the past, on AT&T's HSPA+ network I have struggled to get more than 3 down and 2 up, but their LTE network is coming along nicely - and I'm not sure how badly I want to give it up for the pure-google experience the Nexus will offer. I hope T-Mo's network knows what it's in for when the Nexus finally ships!!

View attachment 45659

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering this since the rumors began about an LG made Nexus that was almost identical to the Optimus G. In fact, now that its been announced, is an even better version of the Optimus G. The design is much better looking, none of that L-shape boxy nonsense. The processor and RAM is identical. The camera is identical to the 8MP version (the 13MP is a sham), identical screen, and even the shiny nexus-y back pattern is a million times better looking than the ugly crystal dimple thing on the Optimus G. You also get the latest Android update of course, none of that complicated stuff with the LG skin. And for only $299! Or $349, if you need the space. Either way, it is almost half the cost of an Optimus G, which will probably retail for $599.

Why is LG doing this? Releasing a competing product to its flagship phone that is better in almost every respect, especially the price? Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that they are selling it at a break-even price, no profit, just like the Nexus 7. You wouldn't be able to achieve that amazing pricepoint of $299 otherwise. The Optimus G is suppose to be LG's money maker. What in the world are they doing?
The Optimus G is a carbon fiber back with glass on it. I think its a nice looking phone and it has a MicroSD slot. Id think about getting one if it were n T-Mobile but for me, the biggest reason to get a Nexus is the much faster updates. The Optimus G wont.
What are they doing? I dont know but LG phones arent exactly popular so maybe they think this will help.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the basic thesis of the OP. It sounds like, "Boo hoo! LG is going to hurt itself by offering customers similar but different phones at different price points! Waaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!"

Who the eff cares?!?

As others have noted, you can't use a Nexus 4 on Verizon or Sprint (i.e. CDMA networks) and Google had to sacrifice LTE rather than put up with Verizon's BS that made the GNex such a disappointment. It's also important to remember that this isn't the "LG Nexus 4" as much as the "Google Nexus 4 (made by LG)." This really good video made by The Verge details how Google brought LG designers physically into the Googleplex in order to get the design they wanted:

http://youtu.be/66-4uMQqerA

Google is working with LG (Nexus 4), ASUS (Nexus 7) and Samsung (Nexus 10) to make reference devices to showcase the experience Google wants to make. I haven't checked, but is anyone crying in the Galaxy Tab forums over Samsung "eating itself" for partnering on the N10?

I'm fed up with Sprint's slow-ass slow data speeds and non-existent 4G of any stripe, not even HSPA+, and was going to bail for AT&T and a Galaxy 3, but held off, waiting for an Amazon penny sale and to see what the new phones were like. With the Nexus 4 being unlocked, I'm going to give AT&T-backed Straight Talk a shot. $45/mo. versus the $78 I'm paying to Sprint = SOLD!!! Bring it on!

How arebu getting on the naggers then nag about sprint lol. Im in Chicago and sprint needs spectrum here but I still avg 10mb DL speeds on wimax and 1mb on 3g so if sprint isn't working for u then leave

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They aren't, the Nexus has and always will have a specific audience, the Optimus G is more of a broad range, that and manufacturers WANT to make "the next nexus" they consider it an honor to work with google on their baby. It also gives them first crack at the newest OS version to help their own OS's and features they'd like on their own UI's.

The Nexus 4 has a pretty broad audience now with its price point.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 has a pretty broad audience now with its price point.
It does but it could of had a lot more if it offered 32GB of memory. I get many wanted LTE as well but LTE isnt used much anywhere yet accept for the USA and Verizon is on a CDMA carrier where most of the world is on GSM. So imo more memory alone would of gave it a broader audience. Look what it did for the N7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22