Nexus 4 in store availability?

czzer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all
I'm currently in the US on vacation (from Australia) until November 20, and obviously would love to grab a new Nexus to take home with me. I know that nobody knows for sure when they are likely to be available in a bricks and mortar store, but was wondering if nexus devices (such as Nexus 7) have historically appeared on store shelves at the same time as online availability, or is there normally a delay?
I don't think I want to risk a Play Store delivery to my hotel.
Cheers

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
I'm currently in the US on vacation (from Australia) until November 20, and obviously would love to grab a new Nexus to take home with me. I know that nobody knows for sure when they are likely to be available in a bricks and mortar store, but was wondering if nexus devices (such as Nexus 7) have historically appeared on store shelves at the same time as online availability, or is there normally a delay?
I don't think I want to risk a Play Store delivery to my hotel.
Cheers

The nexus 7 was on shelves before play store ppl got theirs shipped but with a phone I think it'll be different. Only place you might be able to get one IMO will be from t mobile and it sounds like their retail price will be $600.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
They'll be available in T-Mobile stores starting November 13th when they go on sale online. Not sure about national availability though, they haven't really indicated how that's going to go. May just be select stores.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If T-Mobile sells it, there's a decent chance that stores like Best Buy that sell T-Mobile phones on- and off-contract will carry it, too. That's my hope, at least; I really like the Best Buy warranty. $10 a month may be more than Square Trade, but if you don't mind dealing with refurbs you can't beat a $0 deductible.

czzer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
$600?? Wow. That's a heck of a profit margin! Being from T-Mobile I assume it would also be locked or altered in some way? Or are they pretty good with providing a clean unlocked phone if buying outright?
I'll just have to hope they match Google's price.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
$600?? Wow. That's a heck of a profit margin! Being from T-Mobile I assume it would also be locked or altered in some way? Or are they pretty good with providing a clean unlocked phone if buying outright?

Probably not as big a margin as it seems. Google profits in other ways so they can price the device with little to no margins. $600 doesn't seem high as a starting price from a carrier for a phone in this class. Also read where TMO is doing little or no mods this time. Wonder if they will add wifi calling?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If T-Mobile sells it, there's a decent chance that stores like Best Buy that sell T-Mobile phones on- and off-contract will carry it, too. That's my hope, at least; I really like the Best Buy warranty. $10 a month may be more than Square Trade, but if you don't mind dealing with refurbs you can't beat a $0 deductible.

Best Buy won't be selling this at $350 idt. They markup their phones to over $600 to make sure ppl get on contracts because thats how they make their big bucks.

The announcement on the verge said it will be sold unlocked from T-Mobile. So its very likely its the exact same version as the play store model. I am actually not too sure where the $199 and $20 for 20 months came from, its just something I read on these forums. Didn't see that info on T-Mo release. So its possible its just $199 on the classic plans which would make the MSRP from them kinda impossible to tell. But if I had to guess I would say it won't be $350 out the door to anybody.

Probably not as big a margin as it seems. Google profits in other ways so they can price the device with little to no margins. $600 doesn't seem high as a starting price from a carrier for a phone in this class.

Actually my guess is their profit margin is semi huge, the only problem is it costs money to gain and maintain a customer over time. So that does cost them something. I highly doubt Google is losing money like some ppl say when they sell this device. They may not be making a killing but it'll likely be some profit. I would imagine T-Mo gets these phones at around $330 or so maybe since they will be buying in bulk. So this might be the best phone for them to offer on subsidy.......Assuming they can sell.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
interested in this myself.. I have a tight deadline for when i have to cancel my current contract and open my new one and would love to pick one up on the 13th.

bobjohnson322

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy won't be selling this at $350 idt. They markup their phones to over $600 to make sure ppl get on contracts because thats how they make their big bucks.

The announcement on the verge said it will be sold unlocked from T-Mobile. So its very likely its the exact same version as the play store model. I am actually not too sure where the $199 and $20 for 20 months came from, its just something I read on these forums. Didn't see that info on T-Mo release. So its possible its just $199 on the classic plans which would make the MSRP from them kinda impossible to tell. But if I had to guess I would say it won't be $350 out the door to anybody.

I read it here: Latest News | T-Mobile | Smartphone Powerhouses, Exclusive Gaming Experiences and Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data

EDIT: Ha... They changed it from 20 equal payments of $20/month to $15 and changed the classic plan option to $150.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is this only for new customers? What's the plan for existing customers?

Existing T-Mobile customers? Its the same deal as if you walked in as a new T-Mobile customer. You have to sign (or extend) a contract either on a Classic Plan or Value Plan, and pay the prices associated with that.