Nexus 4 why no 4G

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if they will bring out a nexus 4 with 4 g mobile Internet connection anytime soon

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
By 4G I assume you mean LTE?

Unless Google intends to make an unlocked LTE phone that's compatible with AT&T's LTE bands, or partner with Verizon, Sprint and AT&T for branded carrier devices, we're not going to see LTE on the Nexus. That's just how it is. Google isn't willing (right now) to make compromises and get the Nexus into all kinds of muck like what happened with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. At the same time, carriers just aren't willing to budge and let Google tell them to keep their hands off of software updates and firmware tweaks. So we're gonna see them in a stalemate.

It's an unfortunate structural problem for sure. But luckily there are great HSPA+ options with the unlocked Nexus 4 available. And if LTE is of paramount importance to you, there are other great Android-based LTE devices on the major networks as well.

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Would have been nice to have super fast mobile download speeds but nexus is the only android hardware for me from now on

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
By 4G I assume you mean LTE?

Unless Google intends to make an unlocked LTE phone that's compatible with AT&T's LTE bands, or partner with Verizon, Sprint and AT&T for branded carrier devices, we're not going to see LTE on the Nexus. That's just how it is. Google isn't willing (right now) to make compromises and get the Nexus into all kinds of muck like what happened with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. At the same time, carriers just aren't willing to budge and let Google tell them to keep their hands off of software updates and firmware tweaks. So we're gonna see them in a stalemate.

It's an unfortunate structural problem for sure. But luckily there are great HSPA+ options with the unlocked Nexus 4 available. And if LTE is of paramount importance to you, there are other great Android-based LTE devices on the major networks as well.

Ya I dropped a razr with lte coverage for straight talk with att. The hspa+ speeds make cdma 3g look like s*** and with wifi at home I can't see why lte would be worth $70 extra dollars a month. GSM has a lot more prepaid options and seem to get more of the good phones u see from overseas. Faster data speeds also is nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Ya I dropped a razr with lte coverage for straight talk with att. The hspa+ speeds make cdma 3g look like s*** and with wifi at home I can't see why lte would be worth $70 extra dollars a month. GSM has a lot more prepaid options and seem to get more of the good phones u see from overseas. Faster data speeds also is nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

That's what's cool about gsm. It's really fast 3G. It does everything I need it to do and is fast in my city. I had the Verizon gnex and lte on it was awesome. The issue was I never got a chance to utilize it a lot unless I was in specific areas. It is also terrible when it falls back to evdo and very slow.

Sent from my XOOM 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile would like you to believe that their current service is 4G. ;)

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
ITU designates LTE-Advanced as “True 4G” | ExtremeTech

the itu decided that LTE is actually 4G

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Well, I didn't read your article and I'm fairly sure its all well known from most ppl here that they now consider fake 4G to be called 4G.

Iirc all it takes is the capability of one day being able to get 100 megs down. Both LTE and HSPA+ are capable of such things. So in technicalities both are very much "4G" technologies. Some people are just gaga over LTE and I don't understand it personally.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
is what I posted the lonk for... also: in some parts you can get faster speeds then USAs LTE lol... I have friends that their speeds out do o urs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Honestly we have gotten to the point where speed should not matter, what should matter is the ability to stay constantly connected to that speed. There is no reason a person needs 50 megs down on a phone.

Just give me a constant anywhere connection and I would be more than happy.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
4G is so sparse that it doesn't really matter. Most cities only offer 3g and in my case we only have 1 or 2 providers that even offer 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
4G is so sparse that it doesn't really matter. Most cities only offer 3g and in my case we only have 1 or 2 providers that even offer 3g.

What is being called 4G is pretty widespread nowadays. Here in portland oregon (not a major metropolis by most standards) we have LTE from AT&T and Verizon, WiMax from sprint/clear, and HSPA+42 from tmobile.

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
4G is just a gimmick used by carriers to lure customers. Neither LTE, nor HSPA+, nor WiMax are 4G networks (LTE is the best, WiMax being the worst). The first true 4G network will be using the LTE-Advanced technology and all 4 major carriers are going to build such networks. Probably the first one will be launched in 2014 or so. Actually current LTE and HSPA+ networks are fast enough to compforably work with a browser so there is no big need to hurry up the more so as mobile networks are not good option to download large files due to carriers' imposed limits on GBs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I really don't care that dose not have LTE. The only reason I won't be buying it is because the lack of GSM coverage in my area.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance