Leaving CDMA - Straight Talk or Simple Mobile?

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I figure some of you guys may have experience with GSM carriers as I've been on Sprint for what seems like forever. I'm finally ready to bail and make the jump to unlocked phones. Both Straight Talk and Simple Mobile have good coverage for me (Los Angeles/Pasadena area) so it's not about that I guess. A few questions...

- Since Straight Talk takes advantage of either the At&t or T-Mobile networks and is $5 cheaper per month, shouldn't I go just go with them or is there something I'm missing?
- ST isn't exactly up front with how much data is allowed though but I haven't ever really gone over 2GB so I think I'm fine if that's the limit. Anyone run into any issues of getting cut off/throttled?
- SM says unlimited but again, who really knows how much data is allowed or if you are throttled. Anyone have experiences with that?
- Is it as simple as 42.2Mbps with SM and then 21Mbps with ST?

Thanks guys...looking forward to jumping ship.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I figure some of you guys may have experience with GSM carriers as I've been on Sprint for what seems like forever. I'm finally ready to bail and make the jump to unlocked phones. Both Straight Talk and Simple Mobile have good coverage for me (Los Angeles/Pasadena area) so it's not about that I guess. A few questions...

- Since Straight Talk takes advantage of either the At&t or T-Mobile networks and is $5 cheaper per month, shouldn't I go just go with them or is there something I'm missing?
- ST isn't exactly up front with how much data is allowed though but I haven't ever really gone over 2GB so I think I'm fine if that's the limit. Anyone run into any issues of getting cut off/throttled?
- SM says unlimited but again, who really knows how much data is allowed or if you are throttled. Anyone have experiences with that?
- Is it as simple as 42.2Mbps with SM and then 21Mbps with ST?

Thanks guys...looking forward to jumping ship.

I prefer ST simply because AT&T coverage is better here where I live. I think the biggest issue is how fast do you want your data to be. If you can live with slower 3G speeds then the $40 plan is better and will save you a few bucks a month. But if you want fast data then go with ST. It'l be cheaper than the $50 plan and will provide the same coverage but probably faster speeds and maybe less of an issue.

I hear AT&T side ppl have problem with getting cut off, otoh if you are on ST with T-Mo I hear they are a bit better there. Doesn't surprise me though since T-Mo is ok with giving out unlimited data and all.

How Much Data on the $50 Plan?

Some info on the $50 SM plan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's something about MVNO's I don't trust. Straight Talk should be better at advertising what their limits are.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There's something about MVNO's I don't trust. Straight Talk should be better at advertising what their limits are.

The problem very well could be with the carriers and not the mvno's. Like I've heard from several ppl they go over 3GB etc and never get a warning so its very possible that its simply based on location and where AT&T will get upset with someone using too much data.

I wish they could simply work out a deal with AT&T to offer 2GB so they could say 2GB, but it doesn't seem like the way they want to go, or possibly cannot go? We'll see how things change in the future but I think for the most part the average consumer won't even notice the "limit" that is put on them.

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I prefer ST simply because AT&T coverage is better here where I live. I think the biggest issue is how fast do you want your data to be. If you can live with slower 3G speeds then the $40 plan is better and will save you a few bucks a month. But if you want fast data then go with ST. It'l be cheaper than the $50 plan and will provide the same coverage but probably faster speeds and maybe less of an issue.

I hear AT&T side ppl have problem with getting cut off, otoh if you are on ST with T-Mo I hear they are a bit better there. Doesn't surprise me though since T-Mo is ok with giving out unlimited data and all.

How Much Data on the $50 Plan?

Some info on the $50 SM plan.

I guess I could just buy each for a month and try it out? Only thing lost is I'd have to pay an extra $10 bucks for the sim on each MVNO. Is there tax on top of the price or is that it?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess I could just buy each for a month and try it out? Only thing lost is I'd have to pay an extra $10 bucks for the sim on each MVNO. Is there tax on top of the price or is that it?

You can use coupon code SIMSAVE and get a free SIM card through ST with a month card. I believe that includes free shipping as well, not positive about that though.

I also think SM you can get SIM activation kits from eBay for 99 cents.

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
There's that Solaveil option. I'm not sure if it's a scam since it looks like a Piramid scheme but I bough a sim card the other day it should be arrivin soon. It uses T-mobile's brand. There's not straight Talk in my country so I'm out of options.

alc2077

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I use ST with the at&t sim on a S3, for the most part my coverage is exactly the same as my at&t post paid work phone when I travel. I average about 6mbs up & 1mb down data speeds which is more than sufficient for my browsing needs. I typically try tot stay under 1GB of date use monthly and have been fine, the only thing I wish ST would do is provide their users with a defined data limit rather than some vague crap about data usage. Overall I've been pretty pleased with ST and have even converted a couple of friends and family over to ST and they have been pleased thus far.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I travel to the U.S. quite a bit and have used a few MVNO's.. Simple Mobile, Straight Talk have both been great. One to avoid though, IMO, is H2O Wireless.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Might want to look at t-mobile's web only deals. They have a $30/month plan that gives 100 minutes, unlimited texts and data. Data is throttled at 5gb though...but you can't touch that price for 5gb.

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Straight Talk using the Galaxy S3 and using AT&T for the $45/month..but after seeing how cheap Google is putting the Nexus 4 out for on the Play Store I'll be selling my S3 for it.

When I do this I'll be making the move to T-Mobiles prepaid plan where you get 100 anytime minutes/unlimited text and 5GB mobile data per month then you get throttled after you go over that. For $30/month

To me this should be the better deal..not as great coverage but still pretty good, will be getting more data allowance than I could using AT&T on ST, and my area has T-Mobiles 42Mbps so faster to. Barely use any anytime minutes so 100 should be enough.

This prepaid plan is only on T-Mobiles site I think for the $30/month.

apan71

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Those plans and rates are depend on where you live.. Coverage vary everywhere..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
How to try out a Nexus 4 (and GSM) with no commitment | Android Central

I'd read this article AC posted the other day, if you're already getting the phone and aren't locked into a contract you can try each one out and see which is best.

I'm in the same position as you, I am ready to say goodbye to Verizon, I've been with them forever it seems and while I feel they have always had the best network in both numbers and experience their service has gotten weak where I live and work now but more importantly they'll never get another Nexus! At least unless they really change how they do things and I don't see that happening. Anyways I'm thinking I'm moving my family plan to either a pre-paid or T-Mobile and just get the SIMs for the Play Store Nexus4's.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I will be leaving sprint shortly after the 13th and checking out straight talk. If tmo had better coverage in my area I would go that route.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I read the fine print in Straight Talks terms and talked to T mobile rep.
Straight talk states: 6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

Tmobile monthly does not cover roaming.

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Those plans and rates are depend on where you live.. Coverage vary everywhere..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Who you talking to? Because what I said are both national plans and doesn't vary by location.

The T-Mobile unlimited text/5GB data and 100 anytime minutes is on T-Mobiles site without entering a location in and Straighttalks unlimited $45/month plan is nationwide also.

Link to where you can see the T-Mobile plan I'm talking about:
Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

It says its web exclusive but if you scroll down to the plan itself says you can get the plan at the WalMart store, the only thing I'm not sure on is if you can buy the Nexus 4 on the Play Store and still qualify for the plan, as the plan says new activations only....maybe someone here can comment on this?