Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: Leaving CDMA - Straight Talk or Simple Mobile?

So a quick update. I just activated the ST SIM on my friend's Galaxy Note and I'm very impressed. I'm in a somewhat rural area of NW Ohio right now, and I'm getting better signal than my Galaxy Nexus on VZW and my mom's S3 on Sprint. It's showing me on HSPA+, and the Speedtest.net app is showing me 169ms/6297kbps/1265kbps! (Note: You might have to leave the Proxy field blank in APN settings to get Speedtest and some other sites/apps to work correctly; it was showing me 9kbps down when I had ST's proxy info in that field instead).

I'll be doing some additional traveling over the next few days, so I'll have some great opportunities to test ST while I'm out and about in NW Ohio, Detroit, and Indiana. I'll keep you all updated in case anyone else out here in the midwest is considering dropping VZW or Sprint for the Nexus 4.
    Last edited by EnderTheThird; 11-02-2012 at 10:24 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Well...after much more research, I'm just going with the T-Mobile $30 plan which includes 100 min and 5GB data...I rarely go over 100 mins a month so this plan will be perfect.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
    Well...after much more research, I'm just going with the T-Mobile $30 plan which includes 100 min and 5GB data...I rarely go over 100 mins a month so this plan will be perfect.
    I'm doing the same..Just order my Micro SIM card/activation kit today so it's already here when the phone comes next week Counting the days!!

ROM
    MIUI, CM9, Bugless Beast

I've heard grumblings about the ST plan with the AT&T sim having arbitrary data caps, is this strictly an issue for the AT&T ST plan? Or is it also an issue if you use a ST sim on T-Mobile's network as well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know what that map for Sprint is supposed to be. First Sprint is cdma not gsm. It looks more like Boost or Nextel coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by GiantJay View Post
    I don't know what that map for Sprint is supposed to be. First Sprint is cdma not gsm. It looks more like Boost or Nextel coverage.
    Straight Talk offers CDMA (on Sprint's network) phones directly, so they actually do need to show that CDMA coverage. They sell ST-branded phones on their site and in walmart stores.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    I'm doing the same..Just order my Micro SIM card/activation kit today so it's already here when the phone comes next week Counting the days!!
    I ordered 3 just in case because apparently, some of them have invalid codes. You can eventually get it fixed through talking with supervisors but I'd rather just spend a couple extra bucks to make sure I get a good one. If all 3 of mine are bad, I'll probably flip out. I read this info on the giant slickdeals thread about the $30 plan. It's not a huge widespread problem, but I did notice that some people complained about it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetdawg View Post
    I'll be able to better answer this for your tomorrow after my road trip.
    How did roaming on the road trip go?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

1st micro sim worked actually. i've activated and funded the account. i went ahead and put the micro sim into an unlocked att iphone4 and everything worked. even got tmobile 3g on it. now just need my nexus 4 to arrive...

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

I'm leaving Sprint and going to SimpleMobile. I like the thought of actually having unlimited everything and 4g(something sprint promised 2 years ago and never delivered).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HAAS599 View Post
    I'm leaving Sprint and going to SimpleMobile. I like the thought of actually having unlimited everything and 4g(something sprint promised 2 years ago and never delivered).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

The Simple Mobile $40 plan is only 250mb of data. The Solavei $49.95 plan includes 4gb of data then throttles down.

Let me know if I can help more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by q711179 View Post
    New activation's means you can not convert your existing T-Mobile plan, so if you purchase a Nexus device to use with the $30/mo plan you are good.
    I know this is a couple weeks old, but having just done it, I have to point out that you actually can convert an existing T-Mobile postpaid account to the $30/5GB prepaid plan. When you activate a new prepaid account, you're allowed to port a number from a T-Mobile postpaid account as if postpaid were another carrier. You buy a new SIM for 99c online and activate it as if you're coming from AT&T. In my case, the postpaid-to-prepaid port was final in less than 10 minutes. You even get a couple dollars free credit since new prepaid SIMs come with $3.34.

What you can't do is get onto the $30/5GB plan from another prepaid T-Mobile plan; you can't even get it back if you switch to another prepaid plan from the $30/5GB plan. You can cheat, though, and port the number to another carrier, then bring it back on a "new" account.

The other advantage with simple mobile is you get free international texting (if that is important to you)

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have used Straight Talk for several months. Good service and decent speeds in Salt Lake City.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Andrew Martonik likes this.

I left Verizon for Solavei simply cause im going to get the fastest speeds on Solavei cause it uses T-mobile network. So if anyone leaving and want to set up or order their sim for their Nexus 4 this is how you do it... thanks for your support if you decide to join the Solavei team

1. To begin signup of your Nexus 4 use this link.

2. Enter your zip to confirm coverage
    3. [Important] Use the following IMEI # to get past the first step: 353022055115650 . This IMEI ensures you get the micro-sim card instead of a full-size sim.
    4. Solavei asks if you want to port a phone # or have them choose a phone # for you.
    5. Solavei asks for the usual personal information
    6. Solavei mentions that it will be shipping you a "sim" but does not go into detail whether it is a micro-sim or not. Don't worry. The IMEI # you used earlier ensures it is a micro-sim.
    7. Finish the process and a micro-sim card will be shipped out to you within 2 business days #Googlenexus #Lgnexus4 #solavei

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    There's that Solaveil option. I'm not sure if it's a scam since it looks like a Piramid scheme but I bough a sim card the other day it should be arrivin soon. It uses T-mobile's brand. There's not straight Talk in my country so I'm out of options.
    No scam.
    The pyramid scheme thing is quoted often, but a PS by definition has no real product to sell.
    Even if you opt out of the whole "recruit your friends" thing entirely, you still have unlimited talk, text, and data with a clear plan for the data speeds staying at 4G HSPA+ (the fastest speeds you can get on the N4 in the US) for the first 4gb... and thats for 50$, which is better then anything else out there I know of.
    And thats not even counting how easy it would be to get it knocked down to 30$ a month if you wanted to.

Click my sig, check it out for yourself. The first month is free if you sign up in November. After that it will be first month + a 50$ activation fee.
    Unlimited everything. 4gb of unthrottled 4G speeds. No contract. $50 or less.
    http://solavei.com/benoni

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Switched from Sprint to ST (AT&T). So far the wife and I are thrilled with the service. Call quality is better than it was on Sprint. Data speeds are actually better. On Sprint we would only get between 50k-120k on average down/up speeds. Straight talk is either blazing (IMHO) or on-par/better than Sprint. You will see wild fluctuations in speed but so far the lowest download speed was 250-300k down/up, while moments later it will be 5100k/1000-2000 down/up. So keep this in mind.

I spend 85% of the day on WiFi (Work/Home) so it doesn't bother me. Signal strength is much higher than it was on Sprint. Tested GPS the other day heading to work and the GPS lock on the N4 was instant compared to my NS, once the route had loaded it had a lock in 3-4 seconds (Keep in mind we live in a rural area). Porting our numbers from Sprint to ST took minutes on the web. It was about 45 minutes for me, mostly because I had never done it before and was told not to reboot the phone while the port was in progress. After 45 minutes I was kinda impatient and rebooted. Once I did the port was done. So when it came time to activate my wife's it took only about 15 minutes (With reboot).

Now the negatives:
    ST customer service sucks. They are very friendly, just expect to be on hold for 20+ minutes just to get to talk to a human. I was kinda stupid and pin locked my SIM but did it the incorrect way and got my SIM PUK locked. Called ST... was on hold for 15 minutes then the system dropped me out. Called back. Hold for 20 minutes, lady told me I needed to call the BYOP number (Which was not listed on the FAQ for PUK locked error). During the transfer got hung up on, called back and another 20 minute wait. But once I spoke to this lady the problem was fixed immediately. So keep these in mind. There is no store to walk into if you are frustrated with phone hold times.

Very happy, would recommend ST if they have coverage in your area and you can live with slight lower speeds. To me the speed is blazing compared to our old Sprint service.

I'm sorry for the book of a post, but I hope this information helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    But you trust the big carriers instead?
    Lol I agree, but I see what he means. Big carries screw you over in some ways but there's some assurance that you get what you pay for. With some of these MVNO's the customer service when asked some simple questions about service is terrible and the only way to be sure is to measure your data speeds periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
    I guess I could just buy each for a month and try it out? Only thing lost is I'd have to pay an extra $10 bucks for the sim on each MVNO. Is there tax on top of the price or is that it?
    ST is very sketchy with data amounts it seems they don't give you specifics but of course reserve the right to cap or terminate your account if it's too high. I was considering switching from Simple Mobile but I think I'll stay put.

////////
    Dear ME,

Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are responding
    to your recent inquiry.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any
    inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

Please be informed that Straight Talk reserves the right to limit or
    reduce data throughput speeds or the amount of data transferred, and to
    deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone Straight Talk
    believes is using the Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web
    Access Plan in any manner prohibited above or whose usage, in Straight
    Talk’s sole discretion, adversely impacts the Carrier’s network or
    customer service levels. Straight Talk will presume you are engaging in
    a prohibited use in violation of these Terms and Conditions if in
    Straight Talk’s sole opinion, you are placing an abnormally high number
    of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration, or if
    your talk, text or Mobile Web usage is harmful or disruptive to the
    Carrier’s network or services. If we determine, at our sole discretion,
    that you are using an unlimited service in violation of the Straight
    Talk Terms and Conditions of Service, or in any other manner that we
    deem to be unreasonable or excessive, then we may terminate individual
    calls, terminate or reduce the speed of data connection throughput,
    Mobile Web Access or terminate your service, decline to renew your
    service, or offer you a different service plan with no unlimited usage
    component. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Straight Talk reserves the
    right to deny service, deactivate or cancel existing service, terminate
    data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds, to anyone for any
    reason at any time, in Straight Talk’s sole discretion.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to
    contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-866-806-1840 and
    enter Reference PIN 202590 and this PIN is valid for two weeks. For
    your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from
    8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a Straight Talk Wireless customer. We appreciate
    your business.

Sincerely,

Straight Talk Wireless
    ///////
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123