Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ragnarokx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default UMA calling on nexus 4

Any idea on whether Wi-Fi calling will be possible with the n4?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: UMA calling on nexus 4

We'll see if T-Mobile decides to make an app for it and load it on the Nexus 4's they sell. My assumption is T-Mobile won't be involved in the software at all so they won't care to make a Wi-Fi calling app for the N4. We'll know soon enough.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well I'm on Rogers and when I had UMA calling all I did was turn on Wi-Fi on my phone and it would route my calls through Wi-Fi without any configuration whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    Well I'm on Rogers and when I had UMA calling all I did was turn on Wi-Fi on my phone and it would route my calls through Wi-Fi without any configuration whatsoever.

Sorry, made the assumption you were talking about T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling (which is UMA also). Similar to T-Mobile, that would require special software/firmware, which the Nexus 4 won't natively support unless they change something. It's carrier specific stuff and an unlocked unbranded Nexus device isn't likely to have it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Oh well on the bright side, once Rogers releases its Rogers One Number app for android I should be able to call over Wi-Fi anyway.

The only Nexus phone to get UMA calling for T-Mobile was the Nexus One, and that was unofficially. I've never heard of UMA calling for other carriers on a Nexus phone.

It would be amazing if someone could get UMA calling working on T-Mobile, though.
    andr0idralphie likes this.

What is UMA calling?

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    What is UMA calling?
    WiFi calling...

http://m.facebook.com/pages/T-Mobile...804808866&_rdr

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wifi calling wont be available in tmobile sold version but will be possible in N4 sold in play store.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    wifi calling wont be available in tmobile sold version but will be possible in N4 sold in play store.
    T-Mobile Wifi calling isn't coming to any Nexus 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    I'm crossing my fingers that some developer will get a version of it working for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    sure?? my understanding was it wont come with tmobile sold Nexus 4. i could be wrong.

sure?? my understanding was it wont come with tmobile sold Nexus 4. i could be wrong.
    Granted, nobody has officially said it won't be included in the Play Store version, but it's almost unimaginable that it would be if the one T-Mobile sells doesn't have it.

It's a T-Mo specific app, so it was never going to be on the Play Store version. The question was whether T-Mo was going to add it to their version, and the answer turns out to be No.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    It's a T-Mo specific app, so it was never going to be on the Play Store version. The question was whether T-Mo was going to add it to their version, and the answer turns out to be No.
    T-Mobile confirms no Wi-Fi calling for Nexus 4 | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    I'm crossing my fingers that some developer will get a version of it working for us.
    We hoped for that on the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, and it never happened. Don't hold your breath.

Yes, 100% sure. Why would it be coming to the Play Store and not the T-Mobile one anyways? That'd be pretty backwards.

It's just not coming to either one, regardless.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

does anyone has recent update re TMO enabling uma for nexus 4?

If it had happened there would have been many reports out. You won't see this on anything other than TMob branded phones.

Hate to beat a dead horse but I'm trying to find out if there's some way I could use a T-Mobile [compatible] 3G/4G USB dongle/hotspot that might be able to connect to T-Mobile via my router so my Nexus 4 might be fooled into thinking it's on T-Mobile's HSPA/HSPA+ network (as opposed to UMA, which I accept is impossible with the Nexus 4), but connected via my router.

I've been using GrooVe IP, but that can prove quite annoying at times unless I find a sweet spot in my apartment and the settings always seem to have to be massaged and work differently based on who I'm speaking with. I looked into SIP but don't feel like bothering.

Thanks for the patience.