Best prepaid carriers for Nexus 4

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
After taxes its about $48 and change for one month, if you buy 3 months it'll go a bit cheaper. Obviously it'll be more money but should mostly provide a better experience with a great phone.

It's hard to beat that VM deal of $25 though, it provides a great price for what you get. The only downside is the phone selection and network it runs on.

Great price for crappy network and phones? Sounds like a crappy deal. Straight talk is $50 a month for any GSM phone u want and great hspa+ speeds unlimited everything. That's a hell of a deal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Well the Nexus neither, I'll stick with Solavei for now. Let's hope it pays out in the end, I pay 80 dollars for local carrier "Claro" and the reception and signal are abysmal.

Edit: Solavei doesn't offer micro sims right?

Last edited:

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I use Verizon and have LTE coverage in the entire city, well at least parts I visit I have great coverage but the bill sucks even with the 15% discount I get from work. I'm a happy customer, but I just feel ill whenever I get the email with the bill amount I paid.

After some thought, I've decided I'll buy the Nexus 4 and try out the prepaid and other cheap providers. I've wanted to do this for a while but couldn't justify testing with a crappy phones you could get from these cheaper carriers since that wouldn't really give me the trial experience I wanted. Also I couldn't justify the unlocked phone prices of a better phone.

Reason I'm posting is that I've never heard of Solavei so I'm glad it was mentioned. Looks to have great coverage out here too.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Im going to be starting this phone on the strait talk service. I just ordered my microsim so that its here when i get the phone. anyway if anyone eles is doing this you can use these codes to save $15:

simsave: this code will give you $10 off of a sim card purchase

rmnst: this one will give you free shipping but only works if you order the microsim+ unlimitid package which is there $45 a month plan. Also when you first type this one in itll say somthing like "rmnst was removed from order" but itll show up at the end of the order after you pick you shipping, befor final checkout

so if you use these codes you can get the sim card and 1 month of unlimited service for just under $48

Last edited:

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Im going to be starting this phone on the strait talk service. I just ordered my microsim so that its here when i get the phone. anyway if anyone eles is doing this you can use these codes to save $15:

simsave: this code will give you $10 off of a sim card purchase

rmnst: this one will give you free shipping but only works if you order the microsim+ unlimitid package which is there $45 a month plan

so if you use these codes you can get the sim card and 1 month of unlimited service for just under $48

Let me know how you like straight talk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Im expecting good things i got on with their att which has good service around here and tmobile service is pretty bad so that the only option i had really. i am kinda worried because iv read when you go att thru straitalk there is a data cap and i already use alot of data and im planning on using the google play music so idk if ill have enough data... but we'll see.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

For what it's worth, my father (Bradenton, FL) has been using it for several years, starting with their CDMA version and about a year ago switching to the GSM variant. He's been very happy with it overall, with a few minor caveats. First and foremost (for him) being no support for something I think is called "enhanced SMS" or something like that - it's something his bank required in order to use his phone for online banking. So when he switched to ST he lost the ability to manage his business bank accounts on his phone.

Other than that, he's been very pleased. He uses the $45 unlimited plan with LOTS of talk time and very little data, though, so his usage patterns would be a little different from your average AndroidCentral reader. But he's been thrilled with the coverage, etc, because it's basically AT&T.

If AT&T is good in your area, StraightTalk should do just fine.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
natehoy - you mentioned a cdma version; I keep hearing about straight talk but the only thing that works well where I am is Verizon (att stinks here and no sprint or tmo at all) - So I always thought I was out of luck for decent prepaid . . so are you saying there is a cdma version?

Edit - That was pretty crappy sentence structure; I guess this is more direct: does anyone know if there is a service like straight talk that uses Verizon's network?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
there is, but you can't use the nexus 4 on straight talk cdma network. nexus 4 will only works on straight talk gsm att or tmobile.

natehoy - you mentioned a cdma version; I keep hearing about straight talk but the only thing that works well where I am is Verizon (att stinks here and no sprint or tmo at all) - So I always thought I was out of luck for decent prepaid . . so are you saying there is a cdma version?

Edit - That was pretty crappy sentence structure; I guess this is more direct: does anyone know if there is a service like straight talk that uses Verizon's network?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Straight Talk only runs CDMA devices that they sell (similar to Boost or Virgin), you can't bring other devices.

Page Plus is an MVNO that runs on the Verizon network and seems to accept most Verizon branded CDMA devices. You'll only get 3G (boo), but that option is there. Pricing seems alright, but they don't offer a whole lot of data iirc.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, sorry, I knew that but I forgot this was a nexus 4 discussion. . . sorry.
Googled the issue and found a company called PagePlus which uses Vzw . .

Edit - the joys of being a slow typer :/ Thanks Andrew, I was originally responding to the guy before you if this seems out of place :)

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Straight Talk only runs CDMA devices that they sell (similar to Boost or Virgin), you can't bring other devices.

Page Plus is an MVNO that runs on the Verizon network and seems to accept most Verizon branded CDMA devices. You'll only get 3G (boo), but that option is there. Pricing seems alright, but they don't offer a whole lot of data iirc.

Actually they give 2GB of data for $55, absolutely the best for ppl who without a doubt need Verizon coverage. Unfortunately it sometimes takes quite a bit of tinkering to get phones to work with them and generally 4G phones do not work.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Does the Nexus 4 use a SIM or micro-SIM card? Straight Talk site makes you pick. Want to get the right one. Thanks.

EDIT: Derp. I had already opened in another tab the thread asking this same question and answering it: micro-SIM. Derp derp. :-[

Ken T

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
well I was looking at t-mobile cause I would like the + 42 speed when possible. coverage map says 2g mostly in area. how fast can I expect on at&t 3G. I'M USING a straight talk authorized phone. I'm getting at max 1.2 Mbps down and 0.92 Mbps up. normally it on both.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I also use Solavei.

I went from Sprint to Verizon to Tmobile Prepaid to AT&T to Straighttalk to Solavei.....I've seen them all folks.

Solavei works perfectly and your speed only drops slightly from tmobile pre paid speeds. The benefit of Solavei vs Tmboile Prepaid is...DRUM ROLL please. The roaming (prepaid tmobile doesn't do it) and the conditional call forwarding for those of us who know that Google Voice is awesome.

Its not a pyramid, scam or anything of the sort. I haven't signed up one person and no one calls or annoys me at all...It works and its a good deal PERIOD. If you sign up 3 people then you get some money I think.

AT&T works VERY well in certain area but is awful in NYC and I mean awful.

Anyway you hae plenty of choices but keep in mind that most will involce AT&T and Tmobile as backbone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan