Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Best prepaid carriers for Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    So does Solavei use both AT&T and TMobile networks, or like ST, you have to pick one carrier as the back bone? Thanks..
    Solavei will roam on AT&T unlike the $30 Tmobile plan that has no roaming.

This is a good article on Solavei,
    A closer look at Solavei, aka the pre-paid wireless service that pays you to refer your friends | Android and Me

If you decide to signup I would appreciate you using me as your referral. http://www.solavei.com/SignUp?un=bobnoway&from=Invite
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by rjj1976 View Post
    Solavei will roam on AT&T unlike the $30 Tmobile plan that has no roaming.
    Are you referring to data roaming? Because T-Mobile's prepaid plan does allow voice roaming: Support: Roaming: No Annual Contract
    Andrew Martonik likes this.

Yes I was, the T-Mobile $30 plan has no data roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Join Solavei, it uses T-mobile's network but foe only 49.00 a month no contract... this is how you get your micro sim card ordered and your nexus 4 set up

1. To begin signup of your Nexus 4 use this link.
    www.solavei.com
    2. Enter your zip to confirm coverage
    3. [Important] Use the following IMEI # to get past the first step: 353022055115650 . This IMEI ensures you get the micro-sim card instead of a full-size sim.
    4. Solavei asks if you want to port a phone # or have them choose a phone # for you.
    5. Solavei asks for the usual personal information
    6. Solavei mentions that it will be shipping you a "sim" but does not go into detail whether it is a micro-sim or not. Don't worry. The IMEI # you used earlier ensures it is a micro-sim.
    7. Finish the process and a micro-sim card will be shipped out to you within 2 business days #Googlenexus #Lgnexus4 #solavei

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.

$30 T-Mobile 100 min unlimited data (up to 5gb high speed) and unlimited text is for me the best deal ever.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    coolblue11 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

The thing that needs to happen for prepaid to really take off is cheaper phones. The crippled N4 is a good start, but they need to come down even further. Too many people only look at the 699 full retail price and do not realize that they are spending more on the subsidized phone with a contract.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

T-Mobile for the most part. It is suppose to roam on any network that has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile. So if at&t and T-Mobile have an agreement somewhere you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    So does Solavei use both AT&T and TMobile networks, or like ST, you have to pick one carrier as the back bone? Thanks..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I personally use Wal-Mart's Family Mobile plan (4 phones). Our bill is $140 including tax...unlimited everything. Note that it is a grandfathered plan. The new plans are a tad bit more.

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I posted this in another thread, but in case you hadn't seen it:

Switched from Sprint to ST (AT&T). So far the wife and I are thrilled with the service. Call quality is better than it was on Sprint. Data speeds are actually better. On Sprint we would only get between 50k-120k on average down/up speeds. Straight talk is either blazing (IMHO) or on-par/better than Sprint. You will see wild fluctuations in speed but so far the lowest download speed was 250-300k down/up, while moments later it will be 5100k/1000-2000 down/up. So keep this in mind.

I spend 85% of the day on WiFi (Work/Home) so it doesn't bother me. Signal strength is much higher than it was on Sprint. Tested GPS the other day heading to work and the GPS lock on the N4 was instant compared to my NS, once the route had loaded it had a lock in 3-4 seconds (Keep in mind we live in a rural area). Porting our numbers from Sprint to ST took minutes on the web. It was about 45 minutes for me, mostly because I had never done it before and was told not to reboot the phone while the port was in progress. After 45 minutes I was kinda impatient and rebooted. Once I did the port was done. So when it came time to activate my wife's it took only about 15 minutes (With reboot).

Now the negatives:
    ST customer service sucks. They are very friendly, just expect to be on hold for 20+ minutes just to get to talk to a human. I was kinda stupid and pin locked my SIM but did it the incorrect way and got my SIM PUK locked. Called ST... was on hold for 15 minutes then the system dropped me out. Called back. Hold for 20 minutes, lady told me I needed to call the BYOP number (Which was not listed on the FAQ for PUK locked error). During the transfer got hung up on, called back and another 20 minute wait. But once I spoke to this lady the problem was fixed immediately. So keep these in mind. There is no store to walk into if you are frustrated with phone hold times.

Very happy, would recommend ST if they have coverage in your area and you can live with slight lower speeds. To me the speed is blazing compared to our old Sprint service.

I'm sorry for the book of a post, but I hope this information helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    I use Verizon and have LTE coverage in the entire city, well at least parts I visit I have great coverage but the bill sucks even with the 15% discount I get from work. I'm a happy customer, but I just feel ill whenever I get the email with the bill amount I paid.
    From everything I've read (including Consumer Reports) Verizon has the best coverage in all cities. But, as you said, they are very expensive. Do any of the other prepaid services, such as Straight Talk, use Verizon? (Hope I'm framing this question correctly). Thank you!

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    From everything I've read (including Consumer Reports) Verizon has the best coverage in all cities. But, as you said, they are very expensive. Do any of the other prepaid services, such as Straight Talk, use Verizon? (Hope I'm framing this question correctly). Thank you!
    Your correct. Verizon does have the best overall talk/data coverage in the US, period. No one can dispute that. However, most of the people on here (incl me), were fed up with the outrageous monthly prices Verizon/AT&T charge and are willing to possibly "accept" lower data speeds/some spotty cell coverage vs. price.

But nope, ST doesn't use Verizon service. Verizon is just good 'ol Verizon. ST/Solavei/Red Pocket all use either AT&T or TMobile services only.

I tried the TMobile $30 prepaid plan for Nov/Dec, but work building penetration was .1% and spotty calls around town, so I just switched to ST AT&T and it's been the best so far. By jumping from Verizon, I will save ~$600 this year. BIG win in my book vs. Verizon's better coverage. 90% of the year I'm at work/home/around town, so paying for Verizon for almost double I pay now doesn't justify it.
    Thanked by 2:
    tabletnovice likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123