Why does Google not have a physical "storefront" for Nexus devices?

w3bMaster101

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
They at least should have the Playstore available in more countries first. That's more important than having physical stores I think.

Right now across the world there are very few countries (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and i think Australia) where you can actually buy hardware (unlocked phones, tablets, chromebook) from Google... Everywhere else you just get a link to local carriers or retailers that have huge prices for devices... An unlocked nexus 4 for 300$ + taxes would be awesome to get all over the world, but once the devices get to retailers their price explodes, and it's not that much of an awesome deal as it seems now...

So imho... they should get the playstores going and available for more countries, and then concern about physical stores...

Decadence13

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
At first I thought it would be a good idea to have an actual Google store but then I realized everyone was right about the prices, they would go up. Its the difference of buying direct from the factory then buying from a store that has to be maintained and has employees to pay. However, I do like to play with the device before I buy it...

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope this NEVER happens. The Nexus name is gaining recognition as a brand with the 4, 7,10 line, but a physical storefront would not do anything but drive up prices. The play store virtual storefront is already a wealth of information and support, and for people who need a hands on look at new products before buying, there are plenty of brick and mortar stores out there with displays. The most I would ever want Google to invest in a storefront would be a small kiosk or endcap in electronics stores. Otherwise, we're not only looking at higher prices for our beloved devices, we'll be stuck seeing news coverage of Nexus hipsters camped out in front of Google stores, waiting to purchase the latest devices.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Otherwise, we're not only looking at higher prices for our beloved devices, we'll be stuck seeing news coverage of Nexus hipsters camped out in front of Google stores, waiting to purchase the latest devices.

Those hipsters are what drive the mainstream and what the iPhone and Galaxy S3 what it is today. Google wants the nexus name to gain main recognition and be house whole name like iPhone and Galaxy S3. Google having the mainstream line out door of store will mean increased profit which will equal increase inovation. By why we are not hipsters we are tech savy people so we will still buy from online play store which will still be available. Furthermore think about also with this in mind you buy device but need to return it in for warranty now you have store to go to. Those the nexus name still new and will be a while for there be a demand big enough to warrant a actual playstore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Weishaupt

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It would cost more, like if best buy sold it the price would go up due to them getting a cut of profits.

Here in Germany we have stores like "Media Markt" and "Saturn" that sell the Nexus 7 for the same price as the price on Google Play. So the price doesn't necessarily have to go up.

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Can't justify a store with only 4 products to sell (Nexus 4, 7 and 10 and Chromebook). Plus, as others have said, a retail presence drives up costs, so you couldn't have a $350 Nexus 4 in a store.

Google should set up low cost kiosks though so people can at least test drive the Nexus 4 before buying. I really want to hold the device before I try to convince my family to switch and I don't see a good way to do that without eating some cost.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree that small kiosks at shopping malls would work best for Google. Given their small line-up of devices, it would at least give the Nexus line greater exposure to a wider audience . It would be low stock on hand, but the main point of it is to direct people to the Play Store, test drive devices, and be a point for local customer service.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
They're selling a million tablets a month, I think Google knows exactly what they're doing.
i really wish they sell 5 million a month. but i think its a good start. with walmart and other retailers carrying the device.
more countries should be getting this device. now that the storage is refreshed it will only grow.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It'd just increase the cost of the device because the store's cost would be internalized to the phone. I agree it'd be nice if Google partnered with some retailers to sell, but having the Play Store option is the next best thing. It's just not in Google's business model to be building physical stores and having a retail presence.

I'd say that's true, but then again they did sell the Nexus Seven at a bunch of retailers. I got mine from Staples.

I could certainly see a display section of Nexus 4, 7, and 10 all next to each other at someplace like Staples, and I don't think it would cut too much into their bottom line to do so. In fact, with Staples cutting deals with carriers to subsidize the phone at point of sale (for those carriers who don't mind unlocked phones and don't want to take on the effort of trying to support them on their own), Google might even make MORE money on retail sales of the Nexus 4 than they do on their Play Store sales.

I can see, for example, Wally World slapping a stack of Nexus 4s down next to the StraightTalk SIM display, and selling them as the perfect companion to StraightTalk. Maybe even having Google pre-load the StraightTalk APN to some of them (without changing anything else about the OS) so it's truly a "plug-and-play" experience. "Premium smartphone, $300 down and $45 a month for unlimited service off AT&T towers". God, those things would FLY off the shelf.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd say that's true, but then again they did sell the Nexus Seven at a bunch of retailers. I got mine from Staples.

I could certainly see a display section of Nexus 4, 7, and 10 all next to each other at someplace like Staples, and I don't think it would cut too much into their bottom line to do so. In fact, with Staples cutting deals with carriers to subsidize the phone at point of sale (for those carriers who don't mind unlocked phones and don't want to take on the effort of trying to support them on their own), Google might even make MORE money on retail sales of the Nexus 4 than they do on their Play Store sales.

I can see, for example, Wally World slapping a stack of Nexus 4s down next to the StraightTalk SIM display, and selling them as the perfect companion to StraightTalk. Maybe even having Google pre-load the StraightTalk APN to some of them (without changing anything else about the OS) so it's truly a "plug-and-play" experience. "Premium smartphone, $300 down and $45 a month for unlimited service off AT&T towers". God, those things would FLY off the shelf.

Tbh I'm not too sure how I would feel about that. On one hand mostly prepaid phones are a joke in comparison to more expensive ones, but otoh that means any random little kid with a few bucks can have the same awesome phone I can. I would prefer my awesome phone to be an awesome little secret and not seen as a cheap prepaid device.

The other problem is that Walmart also wants ppl on contracts so idk about them carrying a fully unlocked phone for $300 next to their $300 on contract phones. It might not get the proper exposure that it deserves. Most Walmarts also don't carry ST Sim cards. There was a kit a bit back that someone picked up that had all 3 SIM cards in it and a months worth of time for about $58 but I've been to a few Walmarts now and haven't seen one myself. So ST would need to get those out before such things could happen.

But for me, I want Google to be just successful enough to keep pumping these things out. I don't want to be like an Apple user who walks into Starbucks and everyone from ages 8-80 has the same stupid phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google is relatively new to the hardware, consumer-retail business.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

roltzje

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I strongly agree that Google needs a storefront. The range of their products is so expansive that it could drastically improve the usage of their products. I'm not just talking about the Nexus series, Chromebooks, and such, but in general their software, which encompasses all operating systems. Not only could they sell these products, but they could help people learn how to use products like Google Drive, Docs, etc, and also to show users how to use stock Android & Chrome OS. The main function of their stores should be to educate people in using their software, with the side benefit being able to sell products directly in person to consumers. People would learn that they can pop something into Google Drive on their Windows desktop, and pick it up on their Android smartphone. Or that they can leave their browser on their Apple Macbook with Chrome, and pick up the same pages on their iPhone.

Also, several of Google's products are almost "impulse buys" - like if the Nexus 4 were subsidized the standard amount, they could sell it for free on contract, and the Nexus 7 is only $200. This would improve sales because people might just try it there, decide they like it, and buy it.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if they actually need storefront. I'm not sure about other countries, but in London in U.K. even Samsung do not have a storefront but what they did with the Galaxy S3 and Note release, they held a special event in Westfield for several weeks showing the device, not actually selling it. Google could do a similar tactic for nexus series. Just a thought though.

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Google investing in a physical storefront is something that aligns with their business model. Unlike Apple, whose main source of revenue lies in selling hardware, Google's main source of revenue lies in advertising. A physical storefront would mean more expenses for Google and an increase in the price of their devices, something that goes against their interests which is to sell their devices at a low competitive price. For Apple selling their hardware is an end in itself, as that is where their profit lies, for Google on the other hand selling their hardware is only a means to an end, which is for you to start using their products and services and to consume content from their Play Store, all of which refers back to their core businesses: advertisement and search.

What I think Google should definitely do however, is work harder to make the online Play Store available in as many countries as possible so that more and more people can buy their Nexus devices (and Chromebooks) as well as the movies, music and books they have available there.

That said, I agree with the idea that Google could set up small kiosks to demo their Nexus devices and Chromebooks (not to sell them), to allow people to use the devices, ask questions and the like. That would be a way for them to give more presence to their devices without making the commitment and investment that a physical storefront demands.

stubborn_d0nkey

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Step 1: Go to one of these locations

Step 2: Wait for a random person, ask them if they have a nexus 4. Repeat till answer is yes

Step 3: Ask if you can check it out. If answer is no go back to step 2

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit :p

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
All Google needs to do is get an agreement with their partners to be able to sell their devices. So not only do we get a store that sells Nexus, but they sell GS3, OneX/S, Droids, Optimuses. That way people come to a location where they sell Google products. I'm also very pleased with what Google has done with the Nexus 4. Maybe for a next release we can get two versions. the economical version and one with top specs from the partner and latest Android software. I wouldn't mind paying the difference if the phone had a spec'd up version. That would make the nexus line more aggressive and be able to sell better storefront. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All Google needs to do is get an agreement with their partners to be able to sell their devices. So not only do we get a store that sells Nexus, but they sell GS3, OneX/S, Droids, Optimuses. That way people come to a location where they sell Google products. I'm also very pleased with what Google has done with the Nexus 4. Maybe for a next release we can get two versions. the economical version and one with top specs from the partner and latest Android software. I wouldn't mind paying the difference if the phone had a spec'd up version. That would make the nexus line more aggressive and be able to sell better storefront. :)

oh.. you mean like a carrier store? ;)

victor00100

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Here, in Belgium almost every store to buy technology stuff is a store seperated from a carrier and when you buy a phone it comes unlocked so it is very easy but, one problem: rumors have spoken and it looks like the stores have to buy the nexus 4 for a much higher price and like there is no offline store in Belgium it is very possible that the phone will kost like 599? and that is too much I think so be happy to have an offline store in the US and you aren't in like me here :p

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
google has a chrome retail store in london but not sure if it still exist. Google opens a 'Chrome Zone' shop in London | ZDNet
also not sure if they have a store in other locations and if they sell Nexus devices

like many said above it would drive the cost up. Google=Online

They have a few, partners with Currys PCWorld. Only in some of the biggest stores though

Sent from my KFOT using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey