Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does Google not have a physical "storefront" for Nexus devices?

The one thing for me about the Nexus lineup is that the unlocked Nexus phones don't have a physical "storefront" where they can be tried out and purchased. Google has already done it for the Nexus 7 (via retail partners), so I can only imagine that it's possible to do that for the Nexus 4 (more than possible for the Nexus 10). Anyone else have an opinion on being able to purchase an unlocked Nexus phone "offline"?

Global Posts
    4,261 Global Posts

Default Re: Why does Google not have a physical "storefront" for Nexus devices?

Unlike tablets, unlocked phones aren't sold in major retail outlets. Besides T-Mobile I can't see any retail store where you could buy a Nexus 4. Anyway, the fact that it's a Nexus device is good enough for me. I don't have to physically try it out or feel it to know I'm going to be happy with it but thats just me.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It would cost more, like if best buy sold it the price would go up due to them getting a cut of profits.

It'd just increase the cost of the device because the store's cost would be internalized to the phone. I agree it'd be nice if Google partnered with some retailers to sell, but having the Play Store option is the next best thing. It's just not in Google's business model to be building physical stores and having a retail presence.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    I agree it'd be nice if Google partnered with some retailers to sell, but having the Play Store option is the next best thing. It's just not in Google's business model to be building physical stores and having a retail presence.
    I do agree with that stance. The good news is that apparently the Nexus 4 will sold at T-Mo (which should be the same as the Play Store), so I could always waltz in there before purchasing on the Play Store (did the exact same thing with the GN2, except only because my carrier won't have it until the 9th.)

google has a chrome retail store in london but not sure if it still exist.
    also not sure if they have a store in other locations and if they sell Nexus devices

like many said above it would drive the cost up. Google=Online

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The nexus line and chromobooks do not have a demand high enough to warrant a store unfortunately at this time. Nexus name has not establish itself with the masses.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Google isn't really interested in the overhead it takes to open brick and mortar stores. Much easier to keep it online. I guess they figure you can go into a T-Mobile store to get a Nexus 4 if you really want to.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted/Jailbroken - Stock

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but in the mean time I would suggest heading down to Sprint or AT&T in order to get your hands on the kind of hardware we're expecting for the Nexus 4, especially that best in class display. As for the tablets, a few Wal-Marts in my area actually had the N7 on display, and I can hope that soon the Nexus 10 will be sitting beside it.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Word of mouth spreads faster than an online storefront ever could

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    TheUI likes this.

I totally agree, if Google is pricing the mobile at competitive price they should go the extra mile by having a store front. Users need to know some quality phone branded as Google is available the area. Not everyone sees internet but people see stores. Google should market aggressively to make sure their flagship product reaches not only developers but also the users.

if im not mistaking, Google is just starting to mainstream its nexus devices to the public and not just geeks but to ordinary users as well, by putting NEXUS across all the devices! There's a reason why Google is not using a SD card and making its OS friendlier to your not so tech savvy user! by simplifying its stock android it will attract more android users to the nexus line! IMO
    Chiggin4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by magesh_magi1 View Post
    I totally agree, if Google is pricing the mobile at competitive price they should go the extra mile by having a store front. Users need to know some quality phone branded as Google is available the area. Not everyone sees internet but people see stores. Google should market aggressively to make sure their flagship product reaches not only developers but also the users.
    I think that competitive price precludes them from having a store front. I also don't think they even plan on selling the kind of volume that would even make the expense worthwhile. I will admit that I wish there was the ability to take a damaged Nexus device and have it quickly exchanged for a new one a'la Apple.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted/Jailbroken - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hectorbribiesca View Post
    if im not mistaking, Google is just starting to mainstream its nexus devices to the public and not just geeks but to ordinary users as well, by putting NEXUS across all the devices! There's a reason why Google is not using a SD card and making its OS friendlier to your not so tech savvy user! by simplifying its stock android it will attract more android users to the nexus line! IMO
    Ah, you have to love the flexibility of Android. You can make it easy enough for newbs, yet robust enough for geeks.

Do the odd "Flash Store", which Samsung has done a bit of, and Microsoft did with the Surface... open a store for just a couple of days to generate a bit of buzz.

A permanent Google Store? I'd imagine walking in there and asking the staff lots of questions. "Where did I park my car?"

It would be nice but stores /partners would want profit which would make the phone cost more. So why not just pop into a T-Mobile store and try it out before purchasing.

Ha ha. Now I can understand why Google is hesitant about opening stores.
    Imagine a shop with Google logo in a prime shopping area. Wouldn't that be an Ad..You know Google need some advertisement :P
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmcph View Post
    Do the odd "Flash Store", which Samsung has done a bit of, and Microsoft did with the Surface... open a store for just a couple of days to generate a bit of buzz.

A permanent Google Store? I'd imagine walking in there and asking the staff lots of questions. "Where did I park my car?"

ROM
    Stock

So if they did have a store would it be called Google Store, Google Play Store, Play Store, Googles R US, G-Mart, Android Market?

Also I like the idea of Google selling devices to customers. Imagine for instance sorta like Best Buy or Radio Shack. Their employees sell all four major carriers. I can see this working if more companies do what Samsung did. Make one phone and make it available to all carriers. You just show up select a phone/tablet, select a carrier. E-Z P-Z.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Can't imagine them making a store but I'd think having a few kiosks in key markets would be advantageous. At their prices Nexus/Chromebook is practically an impulse buy and would help move Nexus away from being a tech nerd only brand.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

If Google were to open retail locations they would need to charge Apple like prices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

They at least should have the Playstore available in more countries first. That's more important than having physical stores I think.

Right now across the world there are very few countries (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and i think Australia) where you can actually buy hardware (unlocked phones, tablets, chromebook) from Google... Everywhere else you just get a link to local carriers or retailers that have huge prices for devices... An unlocked nexus 4 for 300$ + taxes would be awesome to get all over the world, but once the devices get to retailers their price explodes, and it's not that much of an awesome deal as it seems now...

So imho... they should get the playstores going and available for more countries, and then concern about physical stores...
    prissysox likes this.

At first I thought it would be a good idea to have an actual Google store but then I realized everyone was right about the prices, they would go up. Its the difference of buying direct from the factory then buying from a store that has to be maintained and has employees to pay. However, I do like to play with the device before I buy it...

I hope this NEVER happens. The Nexus name is gaining recognition as a brand with the 4, 7,10 line, but a physical storefront would not do anything but drive up prices. The play store virtual storefront is already a wealth of information and support, and for people who need a hands on look at new products before buying, there are plenty of brick and mortar stores out there with displays. The most I would ever want Google to invest in a storefront would be a small kiosk or endcap in electronics stores. Otherwise, we're not only looking at higher prices for our beloved devices, we'll be stuck seeing news coverage of Nexus hipsters camped out in front of Google stores, waiting to purchase the latest devices.
    Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (Dark ParanoidAndroid 2.52), Nexus 7 (Dark ParanoidAndroid 2.52)
    Retired: HTC Eris, Dinc, Thunderbolt, Moto Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Samsung Charge, Epic 4G

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jcsugrue View Post
    Otherwise, we're not only looking at higher prices for our beloved devices, we'll be stuck seeing news coverage of Nexus hipsters camped out in front of Google stores, waiting to purchase the latest devices.
    Those hipsters are what drive the mainstream and what the iPhone and Galaxy S3 what it is today. Google wants the nexus name to gain main recognition and be house whole name like iPhone and Galaxy S3. Google having the mainstream line out door of store will mean increased profit which will equal increase inovation. By why we are not hipsters we are tech savy people so we will still buy from online play store which will still be available. Furthermore think about also with this in mind you buy device but need to return it in for warranty now you have store to go to. Those the nexus name still new and will be a while for there be a demand big enough to warrant a actual playstore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaguy99 View Post
    It would cost more, like if best buy sold it the price would go up due to them getting a cut of profits.
    Here in Germany we have stores like "Media Markt" and "Saturn" that sell the Nexus 7 for the same price as the price on Google Play. So the price doesn't necessarily have to go up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast