[Read This] Pre-Paid Answers [Info Here]

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I'm re-purposing this thread to include all kinds of information concerning Prepaid carriers, a lot of your questions can be answered (and in detail) if you poke around these links a little bit. I'll update this thread with any contributions yinz wanna throw at it.

30_sim_card.jpg

eHow: The Basics Of Setting Up Prepaid Device (Noob Shaolin)

How to Set Up for a Prepaid Phone | eHow.com

A Ridiculously Awesome Chart Comparing Prepad Plans: View Me Or Perish!

Compare Unlimited Plans, No Contract Prepaid Wireless Unlimited Plans

A Great Prepaid Resource

Prepaid Wireless Guide, Learn The Ins And Outs Of No Contract Wireless

XDA Developers: Guide To Smartphone Service For $30/Mo.

[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

Android Central: Phil Nickinson's Guide To Cutting a SIM into a microSIM

How to cut down a SIM card for the HTC One X (and any other phone) | Android Central

Android Central: Phil Nickinson's Video On How To Cut Your SIM

Sound Advice From Our Very Own "Channan"

"I use Google Voice so I just use the free Talkatone app to make free calls with the same number. I get 450 minutes per month and I don't use that many so I make regular phone calls on my Nexus, but I use Talkatone to make calls on my iPhone (use like an iPod touch), iPad, and Nexus 7. If I was going to use VoIP on my Nexus, I'd probably spring for the $5 GrooVe IP app."

Thanks to:

chram893
Phil Nickinson
Channan
Jerry Hildenbrand
Android Central
XDA Developers
eHow
Prepaid Wireless Guide

Last edited:

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Community Resource] For Those Unsure About Prepaid

I'm bumping this because folks are asking about carriers. This is a really nice article guys.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

saw that. hoping to get to some of these plans when my contract gets over.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

This is great. Thanks guys. I will be contract free after the 13th (Or whenever my N4 gets here). Say NO to two year contracts!

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

This is great. Thanks guys. I will be contract free after the 13th (Or whenever my N4 gets here). Say NO to two year contracts!

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

Man do I miss my Nook Color running PhireNook ROM.

bdavis89

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

This is awesome. Currently on Verizon with a Droid X. Looking forward to a Nexus device! Going to probably try T-Mobile Monthly4G in my area first simply because of the $30 plan. I've only hit 100 minutes in one month this year, and don't use more than 2GB of data a month. I've yet to experience LTE speeds, so HSPA+ should seem lighting fast compared to CDMA 3G speeds..

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Very, very nice! I love this. I love that people are getting excited about moving the invisible hand a little bit. It's community bros, and more "We the people..." than anything I see coming out of "Poplitics" right now.

+10 for contributing Sir.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Exposure. Organized the thread. Please, contribute!

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Community Resource] Prepaid Emporium

There are a lot of people asking these questions this morning - I'm not seeing the links in the OP on mobile, but if you.visit this thread on desktop, there's a bunch of good info here guys.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Community Resource] Prepaid Emporium

Bumping on the pipe dream that organization is possible in this forum.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
good that you created this thread. lot of questions about prepaid which are just redundant.
hope this help a lot of people.

All the kudos go to the contributors, I just want to consolidate a little bit. Thank you though!

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Been looking for a thread that discusses some of the ways to set up the N4 on ATT using ST, but I have only found ones talking about using ST on TMo or even just straight up TMo. Any help? The reason I ask is that the only service from TMo in my area is 2G...

Motorola Photon 4G

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Been looking for a thread that discusses some of the ways to set up the N4 on ATT using ST, but I have only found ones talking about using ST on TMo or even just straight up TMo. Any help? The reason I ask is that the only service from TMo in my area is 2G...

Motorola Photon 4G

There's nothing different to configure. Straight Talk uses both AT&T and T-Mobile, but because their frequencies are different, you pick one or the other depending on your phone. If you have an AT&T or international phone, you choose an AT&T SIM. If you have a T-Mobile phone, you choose a T-Mobile SIM. If you have a pentaband phone like the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4, you can choose either.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing different to configure. Straight Talk uses both AT&T and T-Mobile, but because their frequencies are different, you pick one or the other depending on your phone. If you have an AT&T or international phone, you choose an AT&T SIM. If you have a T-Mobile phone, you choose a T-Mobile SIM. If you have a pentaband phone like the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4, you can choose either.

So basically you buy the sim from Straight talk, put it in the phone, activate it, and thats it?

Motorola Photon 4G

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So basically you buy the sim from Straight talk, put it in the phone, activate it, and thats it?

Motorola Photon 4G

Not quite....You need to change APN settings. They send you the information on the SIM card they send you. But there is also some other settings on howardforums some ppl think work "better" and don't trigger their data caps etc. Whether its just false hope or not idk. But you can check them there.

Looks like this.....

activate_st_en_ATT.jpg

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Woosh, once I'm off work, I'll add that image to the OP, and get the appropriate thanks in order - I can't even "like" things from the 4s.