Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree505Likes

Default Re: I have a Nexus 4, you have questions. Fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkyape View Post
    No

And

Very good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Why is it so hard to add a dedicated button nowadays?

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ecpolo521 View Post
    It gives the phone a simple, streamlined look. It's not a dedicated camera anyways, so why should there be a dedicated camera button.
    Thanked by:

Phil,

Can you confirm if it has Bluetooth 4.0? How about the Low-energy profile?

I don't know how you would test that if you don't have a BT 4.0 device (like the new heart rate monitors etc). There are developers waiting for Google to implement a BT 4.0 api. A few android phones have advertised BT 4.0, but as far as I can tell, Android is still not fully supporting it. Hoping that changes with Android 4.2!

Quote Originally Posted by raazman View Post
    It gives the phone a simple, streamlined look. It's not a dedicated camera anyways, so why should there be a dedicated camera button.
    I guess I'm confused. Would the power or volume button be used as a camera button?

I guess I'm confused. Would the power or volume button be used as a camera button?
    There should be an on-screen button for taking the photos.

Motorola Photon 4G

Quote Originally Posted by mayastig View Post
    phil - the back shot shows the rubber trim extending just a hair bit above the back glass (gorilla glass 2?). when you lay the phone flat on its back on a table, is it the rubber trim touching the table or is the entire back glass? I ask because i plan on rocking this phone naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I don't think the rubber is touching the table at all.
    In The Verge's video, I think Matias talks about this a bit. The center "grippy" part extends just a bit beyond the glass to protect it on tabletops. Still, I wouldn't roughhouse with the phone to put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthimus View Post
    I don't know if it's AOSP, but the way to test if avrcp 1.3+ is built in would be to connect your Nexus 4 to a bluetooth enabled car. Once connected, play a song and see if the meta data displaying on your cars head unit.

This is all assuming your car supports avrcp 1.3+ as well though so it's not a perfect test.

I guess the way to see if your car support is would be to connect a stock Galaxy S3, as I know it supports 1.3+.

It's getting pretty close to preorder day, so if you can't test it for one reason or another I will test it myself and write back with the results.

Thanks Phil!
    (tongue firmly in cheek) If you buy Phil a $25 Starbucks card, perhaps he could go get a latte and head to a car dealership to test this out (if he hasn't returned his review unit). Specify car and model please. If you want to buy me an N4 on sale day, I'll test with a few different cars for you. PM me to arrange the financials and shipping address.

HTC did on the Amaze. I like it,... but they have bungled other things on the phone, so I'm looking to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post
    There should be an on-screen button for taking the photos.
    Not sure, but I think they have a widget for the 4.2 lock screen. One could be added later.

Or ... HTC Sense puts the favorites bar on the lock screen, so perhaps a third party lock screen developer could do the same...?
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

ROM
    Stock

When I place my postpaid T-Mobile SIM in the Nexus 4 will the Voicemail settings and APN settings be automatically entered?

As I wrote in the review ...
    Forgot about that bit. I only remembered seeing the at&t from my memory, but thanks for the correction.

Motorola Photon 4G
    Zee

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    Phil,

Can you confirm if it has Bluetooth 4.0? How about the Low-energy profile?

I don't know how you would test that if you don't have a BT 4.0 device (like the new heart rate monitors etc). There are developers waiting for Google to implement a BT 4.0 api. A few android phones have advertised BT 4.0, but as far as I can tell, Android is still not fully supporting it. Hoping that changes with Android 4.2!
    According to a thread on XDA, the chip has Bluetooth: BT 3.0/4.0 Low Energy.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by sjsmr2 View Post
    When I place my postpaid T-Mobile SIM in the Nexus 4 will the Voicemail settings and APN settings be automatically entered?
    I would be surprised. But there are commands that you can do to set the voice mail up.

I switched to Google Voice recently, and though the Voicemail service settings are locked down on my (T-Mobile) Amaze, the Call Forwarding numbers could be set with a *004*... USSD code.

Actually, a step-by-step for setting up the other stuff might be a nice follow-up article for Andrew....
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Actually, a step-by-step for setting up the other stuff might be a nice follow-up article for Andrew....
    That would be a great write up. Would help people get the Nexus 4 running on whatever service they plan to use it on. Whether it be T-Mobile Post Paid, AT&T Post Paid one of the Pre-Paid options like Straight Talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    (tongue firmly in cheek) If you buy Phil a $25 Starbucks card, perhaps he could go get a latte and head to a car dealership to test this out (if he hasn't returned his review unit). Specify car and model please. If you want to buy me an N4 on sale day, I'll test with a few different cars for you. PM me to arrange the financials and shipping address.
    Haha, I think I will just write back when I get mine. I am buying a N4 regardless of if it support avrcp 1.3+. That said, I would totally buy Phil a cup of coffee! Though it will have to wait till I am in Florida (January).

Is there any form of video stabilization? The video you posted off the rear facing camera was so shaky!
    Anthimus likes this.

I second this...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieAndroid View Post
    What would be REALLY handy (at least for me) is to know how much screen time you had with a Galaxy Nexus compared to the Nexus 4, and to also know roughly how much juice you had left after your "day"
    Last edited by clayjohn; 11-08-2012 at 03:30 PM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #890  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,015 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Is there any form of video stabilization? The video you posted off the rear facing camera was so shaky!
    In my defense, I was trying not to spill a beer.

But what you see is what I shot in that case.
    jasoraso likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #891  

Global Posts
    4,015 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sjsmr2 View Post
    APN should be fine. Voicemail? Should work how it does on current Nexus phones. (I use Google Voice.)
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #892  

Global Posts
    4,015 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shark87 View Post
    Hey Phil. First time posting in AC and I'm very excited about the N4. Just wanted to know how flash drives and card readers worked with USB hosting on the N4. I know that on the GNex and N7 it wasn't something that worked without having to root the device first.
    Same on the N4.
    Thanked by:

Is there any way of attaching a wrist strap to the Nexus 4?

How does it connect to a computer to transfer music and such? I heard the gnex had a hard time with that. And yes I know it connects by USB...I'm asking do you have to search for and install additional drivers?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

APN should be fine. Voicemail? Should work how it does on current Nexus phones. (I use Google Voice.)
    That's good news about the APN settings. I know what they are and where to put them but in my excitement I am not going to want to take the time.

I don't know how Voicemail works on Nexus phones since this will be my first. I use carrier Voicemail through T-Mobile. Will I need to set that up by putting in the T-Mobile VM number 805-Message (1-805-637-7243)?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Awesome thread, thanks for posting (and continuing to post in) it!

Quick question -- how bright is the camera flash? One thing I admire about my Gnex is the relatively bright flash, which blows away the ones on my old N1 and my dad's HTC Raider. I'd really hate to take a step back with the N4.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Okay best reply ever. Thanks for the follow up Phil. I appreciate your effort to answer so many questions.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

I feel bad saying it but the Nexus 4 feels like an "S" upgrade (like Apple's upgrades).
    iPhone 4 - 4S added (if memory serves me from when I upgraded from 4 to 4S):
    -Minor OS update
    -Improved camera
    -Improved processor
    -Siri
    -Pretty much same look
    -Same storage
    -No LTE

Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 4 added:
    -Minor OS update
    -Improved camera
    -Improved processor
    -Improved Google Now
    -Pretty much same look
    -Same storage
    -No LTE

The Nexus 4's highlights seem to be:
    -Price
    -Photosphere (which outside of Google+ on PC isn't yet widely adopted)
    -Quad-core

Whereas the cons (for many) are:
    -Non-removable battery
    -Only 8megapixel camera
    -Back & front glass
    -Still only 16GB storage
    -No LTE

That said...I'm still ordering it next week, just seems like the Nexus S to Galaxy Nexus was a much bigger upgrade with less complaints than Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 4. I'm hoping Key Lime Pie comes by Summer 2013 but I think it won't until Nexus 5 (Fall 2013) to get the OS updates & release of new Nexus devices back in sync.

As a side-note I wish Google released a 399$ version of the Nexus 4 with global LTE, the 13megapixel camera of the Optimus G & 32GB storage...though that's likely a dream device that would all but kill competing Android devices so it won't happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by Lanhoj; 11-08-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Understandable. Do you stil have the device (not sure how all the pre-release testing goes)? Would love to see another video sample if you find the time!

Thanks for the response.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #900  

Global Posts
    4,015 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Understandable. Do you stil have the device (not sure how all the pre-release testing goes)? Would love to see another video sample if you find the time!

Thanks for the response.
    Sure. I'll bust out some more. Again, though -- remember this is prelease software. I have no idea if the camera software will change.
Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839 ... LastLast