Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Default N4 micro SIM vs. regular SIM size, down the road?

Hi everyone! I'm thoroughly enjoying all the Nexus 4 talk/threads and am looking forward to trying it out on TMobile or Straight Talk for a month to see how coverage/data is where I live and travel.

I've always been a Verizon phone customer and never dealt with SIM cards, naturally. So, I see the Nexus 4 takes a micro SIM card. What if, just if, down the road another Nexus or other phone tickles my fancy to want it, and say this new phone uses a regular size SIM card? If I have to get a new, regular SIM card, what happens to my micro one? Toss it? I thought the SIM cards store all your contact/phone/etc info so that can pass it along from phone-to-phone for ease?

If I just have to get the new, regular size one and bite the bullet, so be it I guess. I'll apologize upfront if this is a stupid question, but just wanting to cover my option for the future, IF, one day I want to switch to a new phone that has a regular SIM card and the N4 has a micro one.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: N4 micro SIM vs. regular SIM size, down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm thoroughly enjoying all the Nexus 4 talk/threads and am looking forward to trying it out on TMobile or Straight Talk for a month to see how coverage/data is where I live and travel.

I've always been a Verizon phone customer and never dealt with SIM cards, naturally. So, I see the Nexus 4 takes a micro SIM card. What if, just if, down the road another Nexus or other phone tickles my fancy to want it, and say this new phone uses a regular size SIM card? If I have to get a new, regular SIM card, what happens to my micro one? Toss it? I thought the SIM cards store all your contact/phone/etc info so that can pass it along from phone-to-phone for ease?

If I just have to get the new, regular size one and bite the bullet, so be it I guess. I'll apologize upfront if this is a stupid question, but just wanting to cover my option for the future, IF, one day I want to switch to a new phone that has a regular SIM card and the N4 has a micro one.

Thanks in advance!
    you can buy an adapter toss the micro sim in it and use it like regular sim
    Thanked by:

If you have a Mini SIM, you can cut it to a Micro. If you have a Micro, it can be put into an adapter and used as a Mini. The only difference is cardboard around the contacts, they work the exact same.

Your SIM holds your phone number and account info, but it doesn't store contacts or anything anymore. That's all tied to your Google account.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Thanks you guys! So it looks like one can go from regular SIM to micro SIM to mini SIM and vice versa to any size with adapters and such..Perfect!

Thanks again

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    If you have a Mini SIM, you can cut it to a Micro. If you have a Micro, it can be put into an adapter and used as a Mini. The only difference is cardboard around the contacts, they work the exact same.

Your SIM holds your phone number and account info, but it doesn't store contacts or anything anymore. That's all tied to your Google account.

i am sorry i could not understand, i donot have a google account and i am planning to use it abroad, how will i save my contacts then ,i mean right now i am using t-mobile and all my contacts are in sim,, its a regular sim and i m using nokia

Quote Originally Posted by khuzema View Post
    i am sorry i could not understand, i donot have a google account and i am planning to use it abroad, how will i save my contacts then ,i mean right now i am using t-mobile and all my contacts are in sim,, its a regular sim and i m using nokia
    In phone there is an option to import contacts from sim to Phone. after that there is also an option to sync the contacts to google account.

once that is dont and the next time you buy a new phone all you have to is login with your google account. all contacts will come to your new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by khuzema View Post
    You pretty much need a Google account to operate the device...

You can import contacts from your SIM, but that's not the best way to keep storing them. Its much safer (you cant lose em) if you store on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post

but they can store if you want to and contats are dont need to be tied to Google account (at least mine are not)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    but they can store if you want to and contats are dont need to be tied to Google account (at least mine are not)
    You're not required to tie them to a Google account, but it is highly advised. Do you really want to have the one copy of your contacts list on your SIM card?

Use Google contacts, or at least export to a spreadsheet or something.

Can't you just backup your contacts and save the backup to your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Yes you can, you can toss it if you wish, when you get a new sim with the same number your provider will deactivate it. You can back up contacts on the phone, email (I find best), sim etc.
    Go with the email, your not locked to it, you don't even have to use your email its just a safe sitting spot for your contacts.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    You can do this also depending on the phone you get, for eample the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC One X have syncing software that will allow you to back up to a PC.

Personally I use my Google account but you can never be too safe
    Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Tegra Note 7
    Galaxy Nexus (For my Flashaholic cravings)