Heads Up For People Buying From T-Mobile

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Yep, not cool. But then, I was never going to buy from T-mobile anyway; I was always going to buy directly from Google. It's basically a way of get more money from those who can afford the least (if they could afford the full price, they would buy it from Google). But seriously, my advice is that if someone doesn't want a Classic plan and cannot afford to pay the full price for the phone they want, they should choose a less expensive device.

intoaction66

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With tmobile plans though it's kinda messed up because you pretty much end up paying the full price even if you sign a contract and get it subsidized. When you get the classic plan/with the subsidized phone, the service costs more per month. With value plans the service is cheaper because you pay full price for the phone. When I got my S3 the plan I wanted, the 5 gig plan/talk&text/ on a classic plan would of been 90$ a month. With value plan, 70 a month. I payed like 300 about, down towards the phone then the rest is broken up to 20$ a month. So your still basically paying 90$ a month. But I wanted to buy it out right anyways but didn't really have all the money to buy it so I went with the value plan. I think it's better because you can pay the phone off faster if you want then your monthly bill would go down to 70 for the rest of your contract. I think that a the better way to go.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So no WiFi/UMA calling for the Nexus 4 from T-Mobile? We don't have a landline and use WiFi calling heavily in our apartment to replace the landline and because we simply don't get acceptable reception in our apartment from T-Mobile's mobile network. I'd love a Nexus 4 but this might be a deal breaker for me and I hope to find a way around it. Boohoo...

EDIT: Any feedback from others on T-Mobile's Bobsled Calling?
POST EDIT: Its only for Facebook. FKFB! :mad:

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So no WiFi/UMA calling for the Nexus 4 from T-Mobile? We don't have a landline and use WiFi calling heavily in our apartment to replace the landline and because we simply don't get acceptable reception in our apartment from T-Mobile's mobile network. I'd love a Nexus 4 but this might be a deal breaker for me and I hope to find a way around it. Boohoo...

So drop $5 in the Play Store for one of the Voice-over-IP apps, and use your Google Voice number. Then you can just get a data-only plan and call it a love story - no voice plan required at all. WiFi at home, 3G "oot and aboot".

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

You might want to check out the OBI 100. I love mine, its much more effective than my T-Mo WiFi calling which recently has failed to be effective for some reason.

Amazon.com: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge: Electronics

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So drop $5 in the Play Store for one of the Voice-over-IP apps, and use your Google Voice number. Then you can just get a data-only plan and call it a love story - no voice plan required at all. WiFi at home, 3G "oot and aboot".

I was looking into this. Google Voice looks cool but if I want to use my existing cell number I have to pay the $20 processing fee and termination fee to T-Mobile (already on another 2 year contract, 700 minutes which the 4 lines on my plan never reach because we all text like crazy or use unlimited nights/weekends and myFavs, unlimited data, etc). If there's a way to use my existing number without that headache please, anyone, let me know, If I use a specific Google Voice number I'd have to change my number with my job (legal requirement) so if I go ahead with getting a Nexus 4 the least headache-inducing options I feel I have so far are;

1. Easiest?forgo WiFi calling and expect to head to a window to carry on a call.
2. Sign up for Google Voice with a Google Number and rely on that and an app like GrooVe IP for WiFi calling.
3. Purchase/install a cell repeater in my apartment (of course there's the outside part, too).

Side note; Check out this AndroidCentral video about enabling Developer Options in JellyBean 4.2 on the Nexus 4... one of the options is Force 4X MSAA (in OpenGL ES 2.0 apps)... old news?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Port your current number to GV, have TMobile assign a new number to your account. It may take a while for the customer service agent to figure it, but they do it all the time.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Port your current number to GV, have TMobile assign a new number to your account. It may take a while for the customer service agent to figure it, but they do it all the time.

Sounds good, but the explanation is oversimplified. I have to ask how I would go about doing this? Call T-Mobile and tell them I want to use my present number for a Google Voice account so I'm going to have to be assigned another number to my SIM/line/account?

TIA

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good, but the explanation is oversimplified. I have to ask how I would go about doing this? Call T-Mobile and tell them I want to use my present number for a Google Voice account so I'm going to have to be assigned another number to my SIM/line/account?

TIA

Pretty much. Tell them you're porting the specific number to another service, but you want to keep your existing account so could they please assign a new number to it.
Reports are that the front line customer service people will generally get horribly confused and try to cancel your account altogether, don't let them do that and keep going up the chain until you get to someone who can make it happen for you. The timing is very important, as if it's done wrong you could either lose your existing account OR get charged for two lines that month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463