Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4- AT&T or T-Mobile

I don't really see why you are worried about losing unlimited data. T-mobile has unlimited HSPA+ data. T-mobile's contract plans (either classic or value - you will most likely choose the value plans since they are cheaper for the same stuff if you bring your own device) all offer you the choice of unlimited HSPA+ data. Just pick one of those plans.

Quote Originally Posted by les017 View Post
    Concerning Straight Talk, don't forget that they have a soft cap on the data at about 2 GB /mo
    Severely dependent on your area and the market saturation of that area. I've used over 2GB the last 2 months and not been cut off or throttled.

Quote Originally Posted by harrycarry250 View Post
    The more I read on Straight Talk the less I liked it. Ill try out T-mobile but after spending a couple days on HSPA+ its really not too bad.
    Best to try it out for yourself and see. No one can tell you how the service will work where you live...
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

Is there an att coverage map that shows what kind of service it has and where?

Motorola Photon 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post

Motorola Photon 4G

Yeah - on the AT+T website.

Looked there but all it says is if it has coverage or no coverage in the area. I need something a little bit more specific.

Motorola Photon 4G

Motorola Photon 4G
    AT&T's website breaks it down by different shades of colors to show the speeds. It only shows up at a certain zoom level though, so make sure you're zoomed in far enough to see the differences.

Wait I think I was thinking of the ST coverage map. Which gsm is which on there? And which one will the N4 work on?

Motorola Photon 4G

Wait I think I was thinking of the ST coverage map. Which gsm is which on there? And which one will the N4 work on?

Motorola Photon 4G
    Straight Talk operates on either AT&T or T-Mobile, you choose when you buy the SIM. The Nexus 4 will work on either one. If you want in-depth coverage maps, look at AT&T's website and T-Mobile's website. You'll get everything they show there except some of their "roaming" or "carrier partner" spots on the map.
    Thanked by:

So what happens when I buy the sim and set it up for AT&T? What services do I get?

Motorola Photon 4G

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

So what happens when I buy the sim and set it up for AT&T? What services do I get?

Motorola Photon 4G
    straight talk with att coverage.

One more thing, straight talk doesn't have tmo micro sim, only mini sim. so you will need to get a cutter to modify it to fit the n4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Motorola Photon 4G
    AT&T...

I meant specifics. What kind of plan do I get?

Motorola Photon 4G

I meant specifics. What kind of plan do I get?

Motorola Photon 4G
    Straight Talk has 1 plan, as advertised on their website. Unlimited talk, text and data for $45 per month.

Data is "unlimited" and they'll throttle you down if you use a lot in an area with a lot of other users. The amount of data you end up getting before they throttle you down depends on your market. Most people report somewhere between 2-5GB. YMMV, try it out and see if it works for you.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by les017 View Post
    Concerning Straight Talk, don't forget that they have a soft cap on the data at about 2 GB /mo
    That seems to be the consensus, but Jerry Hildenbrand said he uses 4-6GB per month on ST. I really wish he'd elaborate on how he pulls that off and where he's located.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:

Ymmv?

Motorola Photon 4G

Ymmv?

Motorola Photon 4G
    your milage may vary.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    That seems to be the consensus, but Jerry Hildenbrand said he uses 4-6GB per month on ST. I really wish he'd elaborate on how he pulls that off and where he's located.
    That's the point - no-one really knows when or why ST cracks down. Jerry's not doing anything special to 'get away' with it, he's just lucky.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Sorry, messed up, see below

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
    In Chicago people (including me) experience lots of dropped calls with TMobile. Other than that TMobile beats ATT in every aspect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I live in Chicago, used to be along the lakefront on the northside, now on the northwest side. I've been VoiceStream/T-Mobile customer for over 10 years. In all that time, you count the dropped calls I have had on one hand with fingers left over. T-Mobile is aces with me.

That's interesting that you see only 5 Mbps on average on att. That is about what I see here in the outskirts of LA. I am a little underwhelmed to say the least. You get 12 Mbps on GS3? So do you think there is something wrong with Nexus 4? Why would there be so much difference?

I've used the suggested APN setting that I found here, not the automatically detected one. I also tried creating an APN for LTE setting with the hopes of finding the band 4 overlap on att LTE, but that didn't work. *sigh*

My experience here in SoCal is that for the most part T-Mobile has better overall performance than at&t on the HSPA+ network. But LTE on AT&T is faster. As for coverage... T-Mobile has coverage everywhere I go. I travel a lot for work and every city I have traveled to has been 100% covered with excellent service by T-Mobile. And their prices can't be beat.

For my money. It is T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarian View Post
    My experience here in SoCal is that for the most part T-Mobile has better overall performance than at&t on the HSPA+ network. But LTE on AT&T is faster. As for coverage... T-Mobile has coverage everywhere I go. I travel a lot for work and every city I have traveled to has been 100% covered with excellent service by T-Mobile. And their prices can't be beat.

For my money. It is T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    the $30/month, no contract (100 min voice, unlimited text and data [unthrottled to 5gb]) on t-mo is really sounding attractive to me at this moment. it is made more interesting by the fact that the ceo yesterday said the LTE is going live in las vegas in a couple of weeks. judging from the redeployment of hspa+ on a frequency to be compatible with iphones, i guess southern california is top of their list of cities to serve. LTE in LA-area might not be that far off. as soon as it does, there is NO question that i will jump to t-mo monthly and say goodbye to the grandfathered unlimited data from at&t.

If you are willing to spend $55/mo and a 2 year contract and are a huge data user, the absolute best plan available is the Tmo value nationwide unlimited everything. No caps, no limits and all at H+ speeds.

It's always case by case, location to location, but overall Tmo has the absolute fastest H+ speeds of any carrier.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12