Nexus 4- AT&T or T-Mobile

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem and I do not know how to go about solving it. I plan on getting the Nexus 4 and I would not mind changing over to T-Mobile if it not for one thing... I have an iPhone 5 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan and I use it up, meaning I use tons of data. I don't care about selling the iPhone 5 because there is nothing special about it, so that's no problem. I could easily change to T-Mobile for the faster HSPA+ speeds or stick with AT&T and live with the perks of unlimited data. I really don't know what to do here and if I changed over it would cause further complications because everyone in my family is on AT&T. We travel a lot so international plans would be confusing as well.

Thanks

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem and I do not know how to go about solving it. I plan on getting the Nexus 4 and I would not mind changing over to T-Mobile if it not for one thing... I have an iPhone 5 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan and I use it up, meaning I use tons of data. I don't care about selling the iPhone 5 because there is nothing special about it, so that's no problem. I could easily change to T-Mobile for the faster HSPA+ speeds or stick with AT&T and live with the perks of unlimited data. I really don't know what to do here and if I changed over it would cause further complications because everyone in my family is on AT&T. We travel a lot so international plans would be confusing as well.

Thanks

I found no question marks in any of that. If you like AT&T then stay there. Its not like you have to choose which phone to buy, they work on both. If it'll save you money to go to T-Mobile and you feel like saving money then go there.

We can't rly decide what is important and needed for your personal situation.

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So more of the problem is associated with the two companys HSPA+ speeds. I turned LTE off on my phone to get a feeling is HSPA+ speeds. They vary quite a but but I can get 5 down and 2 up in some places, thats fine for me. I heard the T-Mobile HSPA+ speeds rival AT&T's LTE speeds.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So more of the problem is associated with the two companys HSPA+ speeds. I turned LTE off on my phone to get a feeling is HSPA+ speeds. They vary quite a but but I can get 5 down and 2 up in some places, thats fine for me. I heard the T-Mobile HSPA+ speeds rival AT&T's LTE speeds.

Idk about rival because it will depend on where you live. Tops I've seen from my phone is 20 down, iirc at a T-Mo store it hit something like 35. But not common in real world use. T-Mo is better because they have HSPA+ 42 rolled out while AT&T is 21, but AT&T has overall better coverage so imo stay with that.

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if AT&T will upgrade to a HSPA+42 network? I heard they were buying up more of the 700mhz frequency. Also, since the Nexus 4 is dedicated to the HSPA+ network as opposed to the iPhone 5 where it will almost always be on LTE will it be faster?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if AT&T will upgrade to a HSPA+42 network? I heard they were buying up more of the 700mhz frequency. Also, since the Nexus 4 is dedicated to the HSPA+ network as opposed to the iPhone 5 where it will almost always be on LTE will it be faster?

AFAIK they have no plans to....They are fully rolling out their LTE and trying to catch up to Verizon. LTE is going to replace their HSPA+ network so I don't see them ever committing more resources to it.

Network speed is not the entire picture needed for your phone to be a certain speed. Plus as more ppl go to the LTE side, HSPA+ side will free up and become faster as well. So simply put.....iPhone 5 will always have LTE and N4 will most likely always be on HSPA+. Their just different. Speed and the future are impossible to predict atm.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You could buy the phone... then try both tmobiles and atts no contract unlimited everything plans... since there is no contract. you can jump ship at anytime for either one. but you will save tons of money either way.

ijip

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
If you are happy with ATT, then i would suggest sticking with it. But if you would like a test run, get the nexus4 and spend 30 on the 5g data 100 min plan from tmobile. If you like it dump ATT.
The only reason for this is because Tmobile has a much smaller less reliable coverage area.
Also im a big fan of Straight Talk. Unlimited everything for $45 and u can pick either ATT and Tmobile =D

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

So, wait, you have unlimited on AT&T that you really use with speeds that you feel are acceptable, where's the question? HSPA+ is slower than LTE, but does the speed really matter if you had to change plans to a metered one where the difference between LTE and HSPA+ is "can I burn through my monthly allotment in 45 minutes, or will it take a whole two hours?"

If you are a heavy user, hang on to that unlimited. Buy it flowers. Tell it you love it. Because there'll never be another one like it in your life again.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I switched a couple months ago from T-Mobile to AT&T.

I couldnt get calls inside the building where I work.

I was a long time TMO customer.

The TMO signal is more spotty than AT&T.

Stay with AT&T.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Well if you're happy with AT&T and don't mind the price, just stick with AT&T?

The only compelling reasons for you to switch to T-Mobile are truly unlimited data (if you want to sign a 2-year on a Value Plan) and a lower monthly fee.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I thought At&t had HSPA+ 42 but it just deosn't work with the Nexus devices. The highest I've got on At&t's HSPA+ is around 12Mbps on a Galaxy Note & S3. On my Gnex with A&t I only get around 5Mbps on average. LTE on both At&t and Verizon I gotten around 30Mbps. T-mobile's HSPA+ 42 the most I've seen is 18Mbps.

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So, wait, you have unlimited on AT&T that you really use with speeds that you feel are acceptable, where's the question? HSPA+ is slower than LTE, but does the speed really matter if you had to change plans to a metered one where the difference between LTE and HSPA+ is "can I burn through my monthly allotment in 45 minutes, or will it take a whole two hours?"

If you are a heavy user, hang on to that unlimited. Buy it flowers. Tell it you love it. Because there'll never be another one like it in your life again.

Haha ok. Ill try out straight talk and see if the speeds are really as good as people say they are. In NYC with all the congestion I cant imagine it being that much better.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

They have absolutely no plans to upgrade to HSPA+ 42mbps. In their opinion, that's a dead technology and there's no use in spending money on that when they're rolling out LTE as their future network. The 700MHz spectrum they keep buying is being used for LTE.