Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Default Nexus 4- AT&T or T-Mobile

I have a problem and I do not know how to go about solving it. I plan on getting the Nexus 4 and I would not mind changing over to T-Mobile if it not for one thing... I have an iPhone 5 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan and I use it up, meaning I use tons of data. I don't care about selling the iPhone 5 because there is nothing special about it, so that's no problem. I could easily change to T-Mobile for the faster HSPA+ speeds or stick with AT&T and live with the perks of unlimited data. I really don't know what to do here and if I changed over it would cause further complications because everyone in my family is on AT&T. We travel a lot so international plans would be confusing as well.

Thanks
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4- AT&T or T-Mobile

So what's the problem? U don't know who to choose?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by harrycarry250 View Post
    I have a problem and I do not know how to go about solving it. I plan on getting the Nexus 4 and I would not mind changing over to T-Mobile if it not for one thing... I have an iPhone 5 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan and I use it up, meaning I use tons of data. I don't care about selling the iPhone 5 because there is nothing special about it, so that's no problem. I could easily change to T-Mobile for the faster HSPA+ speeds or stick with AT&T and live with the perks of unlimited data. I really don't know what to do here and if I changed over it would cause further complications because everyone in my family is on AT&T. We travel a lot so international plans would be confusing as well.

Thanks
    I found no question marks in any of that. If you like AT&T then stay there. Its not like you have to choose which phone to buy, they work on both. If it'll save you money to go to T-Mobile and you feel like saving money then go there.

We can't rly decide what is important and needed for your personal situation.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Paranoid android

So more of the problem is associated with the two companys HSPA+ speeds. I turned LTE off on my phone to get a feeling is HSPA+ speeds. They vary quite a but but I can get 5 down and 2 up in some places, thats fine for me. I heard the T-Mobile HSPA+ speeds rival AT&T's LTE speeds.

So more of the problem is associated with the two companys HSPA+ speeds. I turned LTE off on my phone to get a feeling is HSPA+ speeds. They vary quite a but but I can get 5 down and 2 up in some places, thats fine for me. I heard the T-Mobile HSPA+ speeds rival AT&T's LTE speeds.
    Idk about rival because it will depend on where you live. Tops I've seen from my phone is 20 down, iirc at a T-Mo store it hit something like 35. But not common in real world use. T-Mo is better because they have HSPA+ 42 rolled out while AT&T is 21, but AT&T has overall better coverage so imo stay with that.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Does anybody know if AT&T will upgrade to a HSPA+42 network? I heard they were buying up more of the 700mhz frequency. Also, since the Nexus 4 is dedicated to the HSPA+ network as opposed to the iPhone 5 where it will almost always be on LTE will it be faster?

Does anybody know if AT&T will upgrade to a HSPA+42 network? I heard they were buying up more of the 700mhz frequency. Also, since the Nexus 4 is dedicated to the HSPA+ network as opposed to the iPhone 5 where it will almost always be on LTE will it be faster?
    AFAIK they have no plans to....They are fully rolling out their LTE and trying to catch up to Verizon. LTE is going to replace their HSPA+ network so I don't see them ever committing more resources to it.

Network speed is not the entire picture needed for your phone to be a certain speed. Plus as more ppl go to the LTE side, HSPA+ side will free up and become faster as well. So simply put.....iPhone 5 will always have LTE and N4 will most likely always be on HSPA+. Their just different. Speed and the future are impossible to predict atm.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

What's funny is in my area (Fresno) att gets tops 20 down and around 14 up. Thats crazy fast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

T-mobile offers an unlimited data plan with no throttle. That's good too I guess.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    T-mobile offers an unlimited data plan with no throttle. That's good too I guess.
    I wish T-Mobile had better service where i'm from because of this, i'd go with them in a heartbeat. Their service is TERRIBLE at best.

You could buy the phone... then try both tmobiles and atts no contract unlimited everything plans... since there is no contract. you can jump ship at anytime for either one. but you will save tons of money either way.
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Paranoid android

AT&T small business care is really good! Since nobody uses it you'll get to a person in about 15 seconds. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

If you are happy with ATT, then i would suggest sticking with it. But if you would like a test run, get the nexus4 and spend 30 on the 5g data 100 min plan from tmobile. If you like it dump ATT.
    The only reason for this is because Tmobile has a much smaller less reliable coverage area.
    Also im a big fan of Straight Talk. Unlimited everything for $45 and u can pick either ATT and Tmobile =D

ROM
    Stock

So, wait, you have unlimited on AT&T that you really use with speeds that you feel are acceptable, where's the question? HSPA+ is slower than LTE, but does the speed really matter if you had to change plans to a metered one where the difference between LTE and HSPA+ is "can I burn through my monthly allotment in 45 minutes, or will it take a whole two hours?"

If you are a heavy user, hang on to that unlimited. Buy it flowers. Tell it you love it. Because there'll never be another one like it in your life again.
    gone down south and blaze5 like this.
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

I switched a couple months ago from T-Mobile to AT&T.

I couldnt get calls inside the building where I work.

I was a long time TMO customer.

The TMO signal is more spotty than AT&T.

Stay with AT&T.
    Hebrews 13:8

Thanks
    Well if you're happy with AT&T and don't mind the price, just stick with AT&T?

The only compelling reasons for you to switch to T-Mobile are truly unlimited data (if you want to sign a 2-year on a Value Plan) and a lower monthly fee.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I thought At&t had HSPA+ 42 but it just deosn't work with the Nexus devices. The highest I've got on At&t's HSPA+ is around 12Mbps on a Galaxy Note & S3. On my Gnex with A&t I only get around 5Mbps on average. LTE on both At&t and Verizon I gotten around 30Mbps. T-mobile's HSPA+ 42 the most I've seen is 18Mbps.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    So, wait, you have unlimited on AT&T that you really use with speeds that you feel are acceptable, where's the question? HSPA+ is slower than LTE, but does the speed really matter if you had to change plans to a metered one where the difference between LTE and HSPA+ is "can I burn through my monthly allotment in 45 minutes, or will it take a whole two hours?"

If you are a heavy user, hang on to that unlimited. Buy it flowers. Tell it you love it. Because there'll never be another one like it in your life again.
    Haha ok. Ill try out straight talk and see if the speeds are really as good as people say they are. In NYC with all the congestion I cant imagine it being that much better.

They have absolutely no plans to upgrade to HSPA+ 42mbps. In their opinion, that's a dead technology and there's no use in spending money on that when they're rolling out LTE as their future network. The 700MHz spectrum they keep buying is being used for LTE.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Doesn't that mean the HSPA+ network will be less congested?

Yes, it'll get better over time. But that all will vary by location and how soon people migrate to the lte side. It probably won't be too significant for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

As more people move to LTE, in theory HSPA+ should get faster. But this will only be in the transitional period, until AT&T starts taking backhaul and spectrum away from HSPA+ and moving it all to LTE. By that point, we'll probably have different handset though .

Concerning Straight Talk, don't forget that they have a soft cap on the data at about 2 GB /mo
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    Paranoid android

The more I read on Straight Talk the less I liked it. Ill try out T-mobile but after spending a couple days on HSPA+ its really not too bad.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.2.1

In Chicago people (including me) experience lots of dropped calls with TMobile. Other than that TMobile beats ATT in every aspect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast