1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Offline gps?

I was looking at the specs, I noticed a gps would you think it is able to work offline like the nexus 7?

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Default Re: Offline gps?

You would probably need to buy a standalone app like CoPilot GPS that has the maps stored locally on your device. Then yes it would work. Most nav software requires data for the maps themselves. You might find a cheaper alternative, or maybe even a free one, but that's the only one I know of.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

you can make the maps offline and it will work like a charm but for navigation you need data.
    there is also apps which can do navigation offline.

You can cache maps like any other device, but it'll need to pull down new data for Navigation or if you get out of the pre-cached area.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Cheers guys, just wondering how a guy on the nexus 7 downloaded the area he lived in... Took the pad out in his car and it was a GPS on the default tablet. Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Cheers guys, just wondering how a guy on the nexus 7 downloaded the area he lived in... Took the pad out in his car and it was a GPS on the default tablet. Thanks for the help guys.
    Probably bought a commercial navigation program and had maps installed on his tablet's memory.

Note, of course, that with only 8 or 16 GB of memory, a navi program is going to fill that tablet up fast. IIRC, the last time I used one a complete set of Canada/USA maps including Points of Interest (for iGo8) was about 2.5 GB and that didn't include 3D buildings, extra language packs, etc etc.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeah it was CoPoliot i was thinking of. Thanks guys.

Since we can now store large segments of Google Maps offline, you would think that it would be a simple process for the Google Navigation programmers to link the app to those offline maps so that Navigation could also be used offline.

You can get maps offline of a certain place but you can't track your position with data off (or wifi off)