1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best phone service for the N4

I have heard people talking about using it on Straight talk. I want to know what is the best carrier to use it on. Any ideas?

Motorola Photon 4G

Default Re: Best phone service for the N4

Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post
    I have heard people talking about using it on Straight talk. I want to know what is the best carrier to use it on. Any ideas?

Motorola Photon 4G
    No best answer here.....It depends on what you personally need and are willing to pay.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Then which networks will it be compatible with?

Motorola Photon 4G

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

In America, the GSM networks are AT&T and T-Mobile. All the MVNOs sell access to those two and most are just T-Mo.

Do we really need 50 threads asking which service to get? Can't we consolidate them into a couple since everyone's asking the same question and there are only a handful of answers?
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
    Thanked by 2:

I'll spend a few minutes pointing out a few plans.....

AT&T Postpaid - $40 450 min, $20 texting, $30 3GB data = $90
    AT&T Postpaid(Dumbphone) - $40 450min, $30 Data+Msg = $70(This might get blocked if they find out your IMEI is a smartphone)
    AT&T Prepaid - Unl, Unl, 1GB = $65
    AT*T Prepaid - Unl, Unl, Unl = $50(Also for dumbphones so could be blocked like above)

ST - Unl, Unl, Soft cap = $45(You get to choose T-Mo or AT&T side)

H20 - Unl, Unl, 500mb = $50(Includes 1000 minutes of international calling)
    H20 - Unl, Unl, 2GB = $60(($10 Free international calling)

Simple Mobile - Unl, Unl, 250MB at 4G = $40(Runs off T-Mobile Network)
    Simple Mobile - Unl, Unl, Unl = $50(Iirc ppl are getting cut off between 2-3GB so ST likely a better deal than this)

T-Mo Prepaid - 100 min, Unl txt, Unl(5GB high speed) = $30(For small talkers, 10cents a min after first 100)
    T-Mo Prepaid - Unl, Unl, Unl(2GB Highspeed) = $60

T-Mo Value Plan - 500 min, Unl txt, Unl(2GB HS) = $50(This requires 2 year contract, but have great family plans)
    T-Mo Value Plan - 500 min, Unl txt, Unl = $60(The only truly Unlimited data, If you use more than 5GB you want this)

Net10 - Unl, Unl, Unl = $45(You need to enroll online for the $45 plan and same company that owns ST so data issues could be problem)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post

AT&T Postpaid(Dumbphone) - $40 450min, $30 Data+Msg = $70(This might get blocked if they find out your IMEI is a smartphone)
    AT*T Prepaid - Unl, Unl, Unl = $50(Also for dumbphones so could be blocked like above)

Simple Mobile - Unl, Unl, Unl = $50(Iirc ppl are getting cut off between 2-3GB so ST likely a better deal than this)

T-Mo Prepaid - 100 min, Unl txt, Unl(5GB high speed) = $30(For small talkers, 10cents a min after first 100)

T-Mo Value Plan - 500 min, Unl txt, Unl(2GB HS) = $50(This requires 2 year contract, but have great family plans)
    T-Mo Value Plan - 500 min, Unl txt, Unl = $60(The only truly Unlimited data, If you use more than 5GB you want this)

Net10 - Unl, Unl, Unl = $45(You need to enroll online for the $45 plan and same company that owns ST so data issues could be problem)
    What about VZW?

Motorola Photon 4G
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Again vzw and sprint will not be getting it as far as we know. But everybody was saying that about the galaxy nexus on vzw last year so

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post

Thanks for the info. Are the T-Mo value plans 500 mins period, or free nights and weekends too? And is the ST soft cap after 2 or 5 GB?

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Good recap, Woosh.

The deal-killer on the $30 T-Mo plan for most is the 100 minutes of talk time. 3/4 of the way through this billing cycle, I've got about 320 minutes used, but most of them are cell calls or during Trudge's generous evening hours. I'm not a heavy talker, but 100 minutes is for misanthropes only.

A idea I haven't seen broached much is using a VOIP app to make calls. and it appears Skype charges only $3 for unlimited calls to the USA and Canuckia. $33 per month for 5GB of data and unlimited calls sounds killer, though I'm getting a headache trying to imagine how the phone #s would have to be set up.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by makisupa6 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Are the T-Mo value plans 500 mins period, or free nights and weekends too? And is the ST soft cap after 2 or 5 GB?
    I think T-Mo's plans are straight up 500 minutes - no breaks for evenings or cell calls. The ST cap is a matter of conjecture. People think it's around 2GB, but Jerry Hildenbrand said he uses 4-6GB per month, so it's a mystery. The one knock people have on ST is the lack of a firmly stated, "You get X GB and then Y happens (throttle/cutoff)."
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

T-Mo's site lists the classic unlimited plan...unlimited talk/text/data for $89 a month. I take it this is for subsidized phones only? A value option of that plan would be fantastic.

Looking at my last 3 months usage, I need 1000 mins and 3 gigs at a bare minimum. Is there anyway I can buy more minutes a la cart for the T-mo $60 value plan? I know there is the $.10 a minute for going over the 500 included minutes, but almost doubling my bill for 500 additional mins doesn't make sense.

The value plans are the same as post paid. You get roaming, T-mobile to T-mobile, and free nights and weekends starting at 9pm.

The soft cap general rule is 2gb a month or 100mb a day. If you like to live dangerously you can go over that.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Good recap, Woosh.

The deal-killer on the $30 T-Mo plan for most is the 100 minutes of talk time. 3/4 of the way through this billing cycle, I've got about 320 minutes used, but most of them are cell calls or during Trudge's generous evening hours. I'm not a heavy talker, but 100 minutes is for misanthropes only.

A idea I haven't seen broached much is using a VOIP app to make calls. and it appears Skype charges only $3 for unlimited calls to the USA and Canuckia. $33 per month for 5GB of data and unlimited calls sounds killer, though I'm getting a headache trying to imagine how the phone #s would have to be set up.
    I used talkatone with my $30 plan. It was ok but idk how much you want to use it. It wasnt too bad for wifi so maybe if you only use it for some small amount.

I personally don't like having to rely on wifi calling.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

T-Mo's site lists the classic unlimited plan...unlimited talk/text/data for $89 a month. I take it this is for subsidized phones only? A value option of that plan would be fantastic.

Looking at my last 3 months usage, I need 1000 mins and 3 gigs at a bare minimum. Is there anyway I can buy more minutes a la cart for the T-mo $60 value plan? I know there is the $.10 a minute for going over the 500 included minutes, but almost doubling my bill for 500 additional mins doesn't make sense.
    T-Mobile has a value plan with unlimited everything for $70/month. Just get that. It's the first one:

Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Looking at the coverage map for my area, the best service I would get is 2G. Thats the town I live in and a few miles in any direction. So T-Mobile for me is out of the question.

Motorola Photon 4G

Any of T-Mobiles postpaid Classic or Value Plans will have all of the standard postpaid perks like night/weekends and free mobile to mobile.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T