Using a VOIP app on T-Mo's $30 5GB/100 min plan?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is buzzing about the $30 T-Mobile plan that offers 5GB of data and unlimited texting, but only 100 minutes of talk time. I'm not that much of a yakker, but I use about 400-500 minutes per month for calls, mostly evenings and to cells on Trudge. 100 minutes is for misanthropes only.

However, I stumbled over a wifi/mobile data thing in Canuckia called Dell Voice which gives free voice and text service without using minutes. Skype offers a $3/mo. plan which allows for unlimited calls to the USA and Canuckia. According to Dell Voice, VOIP calls use .5MB per minute, so even if you talked for 2000 minutes, that'd be only 1GB of data, a mere 20% of your allotment.

Would it be possible to pay a total of $33 (plus taxes) and get the best of both worlds: 5GB of HSPA42 data plus unlimited talk and text? That would be the killer combo if it worked. Thoughts from the class?

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Voice so I just use the free Talkatone app to make free calls with the same number. I get 450 minutes per month and I don't use that many so I make regular phone calls on my Nexus, but I use Talkatone to make calls on my iPhone (use like an iPod touch), iPad, and Nexus 7. If I was going to use VoIP on my Nexus, I'd probably spring for the $5 GrooVe IP app.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Voice so I just use the free Talkatone app to make free calls with the same number. I get 450 minutes per month and I don't use that many so I make regular phone calls on my Nexus, but I use Talkatone to make calls on my iPhone (use like an iPod touch), iPad, and Nexus 7. If I was going to use VoIP on my Nexus, I'd probably spring for the $5 GrooVe IP app.

Hey is it okay with you if I add the info you've shared here in the Prepaid Emporium thread?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Talkatone actually does better over 3g networks. If you are always on wifi however, groove IP might be better.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
After trying to use OTT Google Voice/Google Talk VOIP apps, I'd say I can't recommend them for your regular calls. High latency, low quality and bad reliability really hurt them. If you need to spend a lot of time talking, choose another plan. There are plenty prepaid options with unlimited minutes.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still getting used too all the call settings with Groove IP w/ Google Voice... found and activated my new Google Voice number today... called it with my work land line and the old VZ number rings like it used to with caller id and all...! love it...

Used Groove IP with varying degrees of quality with even Blue Tooth, so on par with with VZ call quality, without all the digital crackling, snapping and popping...

But this $30 plan is what I'm planning using first, might love it and stick with it... So I'm still figuring this out too, let me know if I get this right:

I have 100-minutes:

People calling me - call my Google Voice number - which was my old VZ number ported - Google Voice forwards my call to my new Pre-Paid number, I pick up the phone, I'm using minutes...! Period, no real way around that...

But

If I'm calling out, I can open up Groove IP - use that dialer, calls someone, their Caller ID shows my old VZ number, we are good to go.. They get my calls like they are used to, I'm using 3G or 4G data... no minutes used..

Am I missing something?

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
After trying to use OTT Google Voice/Google Talk VOIP apps, I'd say I can't recommend them for your regular calls. High latency, low quality and bad reliability really hurt them. If you need to spend a lot of time talking, choose another plan. There are plenty prepaid options with unlimited minutes.

What apps have you tried? I use Talkatone all the time on my iPhone, iPad, and Nexus 7 while tethered to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus on LTE and the only issue I've come across is echo on speaker every now and then.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
What apps have you tried? I use Talkatone all the time on my iPhone, iPad, and Nexus 7 while tethered to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus on LTE and the only issue I've come across is echo on speaker every now and then.

GrooVe IP and Talkatone. No matter what settings you use, just impossible to get consistent latency and not get echo, drops and garbled sound. No matter what you do, you're just not going to get the consistency of the regular 2G voice channel.

If it really works that consistently, cheers to you, you're one lucky man.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
yeah, I thought about using the tmo 30 plan. Even got a sim from them, but I feel realistically its not possible. I avg over 1000 a month, haha 90% is with my girlfriend in another state. If these apps doesn't work consistently, it will frustrate the hell out of both of us. I have already been testing talkatone and it fc a lot on me. Another factor is Google voice doesn't support mms. that's something that's useful for me since a lot of time, my friends use the group text function. I love Google voice and right now, it works flawlessly since it is integrated into the sprint network. All mms still come to me without an issue. As of right now I think straight talk 45 unlimited plan is my best option. I'll be using their tmobile coverage. If you get a 3 months card from Walmart, the price is even lower at 42 a month.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You can answer calls in Gmail as well, so if you leave your laptop open you can make/receive calls through it's speaker.

But your groovr Ip number changes evey time? Or the same Google voice number..? Taking a incoming call at work on gmail should be OK.. but I'm concern about when out..

Looks like I'll be trying out t-mo $30 plan and then straight talk..

One sim card one phone number, right?

Now if I let it the number run out, switch and then come back, the number stays the same right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
if you have a google number, it should be consistent w/ the same number. only time it's different is when u don't sign up for google voice but still use their call feature in gmail. then the number switch on you.

yeah, one thing i like about being unlocked is i can keep trying new service w/o worry about breaking contract. don't know why it took me so long to do this. i am going to try out tmo too, w/o canceling my sprint first, prob for the first month only. that 350 eft will be hard to swallow, but i will make that back w/i a year.
But your groovr Ip number changes evey time? Or the same Google voice number..? Taking a incoming call at work on gmail should be OK.. but I'm concern about when out..

Looks like I'll be trying out t-mo $30 plan and then straight talk..

One sim card one phone number, right?

Now if I let it the number run out, switch and then come back, the number stays the same right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
GrooVe IP and Talkatone. No matter what settings you use, just impossible to get consistent latency and not get echo, drops and garbled sound. No matter what you do, you're just not going to get the consistency of the regular 2G voice channel.

If it really works that consistently, cheers to you, you're one lucky man.

I think you're just unlucky. Maybe you just don't get a consistent data connection where you live. You're basically saying all VoIP and video chat apps aren't good enough to use on 3G/LTE but people use them all the time.

I'm not going to say it's a better option than using standard voice calling because it's not as reliable in some places, but most of the time in good coverage areas, it's good enough to make phone calls with. And you can use Wi-Fi to save your data. And you have 100 back up minutes when VoIP fails you.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
People calling me - call my Google Voice number - which was my old VZ number ported - Google Voice forwards my call to my new Pre-Paid number, I pick up the phone, I'm using minutes...! Period, no real way around that...

But

If I'm calling out, I can open up Groove IP - use that dialer, calls someone, their Caller ID shows my old VZ number, we are good to go.. They get my calls like they are used to, I'm using 3G or 4G data... no minutes used..

Am I missing something?
I may be missing something...LOL..so pease correct me, but yes, if you have Google Voice forward calls to your prepaid # you will use minutes. However, if you got rid of the forwarding option and just had them call your Google Voice # directly, it would not use minutes, but that may not be possible for you for whatever reason.

I use VOIP a lot and got Groove IP a couple years ago when I think it was only $2.99 and like it for what it is. It was around before Talkatone and they are very similar but I still use Groove IP for whatever reason, but Both are installed on my phone and available.

However, if you are serious about VOIP, I recommend paying for SKYPE. I am not a network guy by any means but imagine that Skype has more or better network infrastructure than Groove IP or Talkatone and I seem to getting pretty good call clarity on Skype even on 3g. If Skype is ever having issues, I use Groove IP or Talkatone to fall back on but for $30 a year for unlimited calling to US/Canada it's a good deal.

I also pay $30 per year for an actual Skype # and can configure my caller ID in Skype to display my Google Voice #, so when I call people through Skype, they will see my Google Voice # on their caller ID and it will be routed through Groove IP...so no minutes used.

Now, I probably make more outgoing calls than incoming calls received--because all my friend's hate me :) so I use Skype for outgoing and Groove IP for incoming, but you could pay for a Skype # too and do a couple things, depending on what you want to do.

1. Setup calls to your Skype # to forward to Google voice. I like the "Visual Voicemail" of Google Voice. I usually have both Skype and Groove IP open on my phone at the same time. When someone calls my actual Skype # it will ring through the Skype app first and then go to Groove IP/Google Voice if I don't answer within a few rings.

2. Setup all calls, or just calls from certain #s, to your Google Voice # to be forwarded to Skype since I think Skype's quality is a little better than Groove IP.
But, I also think Andrew brings up some really good points. If I got the $30 TMobile plan, I would only give out my actual TMobile # for critical calls--of which I would have very few, but I mean specifically bosses, employers, or potential employers for calls where quality is paramount.

If my friend's call me and call quality isn't 100% because of VOIP, they understand and have even asked me for advice on how they can cut their bill.

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Lucky guys! My prepaid on in Aus is $30, about 500mb of data, unlimited text, free weekend calls & we don't get free google voice calls

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
One more thing, and I may be a real freak, but if I am in a situation where I know it is extremely critical that I make or receive a call, I bring my backup cell phone. It is truly "a dumb as a box rocks" phone--original Motorola Razr, but I have yet to see a smartphone that can match the battery life and sometimes even the call clarity of some of those old basic phones.

Motorola has always had a good reputation for signal strength and radios even back with the original Razr.
A Razr goes on ebay anywhere for $10 to $20 and can basically be a throw away device. Page Plus has a plan for $80 that will give you 2000 minutes for a year. For the times my smartphone has run out of juice, the little Razr has come in handy + Page Plus uses Verizon, so if you were truly in an area where TMoble was crap, and were even unable to roam on AT&T for voice calls, you would have Verizon to fall back on.

So, what would this cost:
$30 for TMobile plan (100 min, Unlimited text, and 5 GB data)
$5 per month for Skype ($30 for Unlimited calling to US/Canada + $30 for Skype number/12 months)
$8.33 per month for a Prepaid phone and 2000 minutes through Page Plus ($20 for a phone and $80 for the Prepaid Plan)

$43.33 per month

So, it is slightly cheaper than Straight Talk and TMobile gives you more data and will throttle you but not shutoff your service if you exceed it.
I realize the idea of carrying two phones seems asinine to some and sometimes I leave the dumb phone at home, but other times I like the security of being covered on multiple networks and not having to worry if my smartphone dies before I can charge it.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Dies-

I think I figured it out last night.. playing around with the wife's phone calling into mine. I can call into Google Voice and have it set to ring to Groove IP, pick up the call on WiFi or 4G or 3G data and not use minutes... I think that was the missing piece.

I should have WiFi almost where ever I go, and when I'm at work, can pick up my cell calls on gmail, if I want to do that now... fantastic..!!

All my friends, family and wife won't know the difference..

When I'm out, all also use Groove and Google Voice to take and receive calls, over data.. again only the times, data fail me will I have to use actual minutes, and even then, thru Google Voice, have my caller ID be the same.

Thanks for responding.. I'm sure I'll have more questions later playing around with voice mail and text messages...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair