CNET's review is up... Lack of LTE and low call volume major negatives

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
It should be noted that CNET UK gave it 4.5 out of 5. I'm personally taking only the UK review into consideration since that one notes that lack of 4G is not a big issue since its not widely available in the UK anyway. I'm not concerned about 4G because I'm in Wi-Fi range moist of the time and have no intention of smoking away the 1GB of data I have because of 4G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It should be noted that CNET UK gave it 4.5 out of 5. I'm personally taking only the UK review into consideration since that one notes that lack of 4G is not a big issue since its not widely available in the UK anyway. I'm not concerned about 4G because I'm in Wi-Fi range moist of the time and have no intention of smoking away the 1GB of data I have because of 4G.

1gb??? Wow. I use that in a day

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I don't want to spend anymore than I already do on my smartphone bill especially since I'm in a Wi-Fi zone most of the time. What does concern me about the device is the battery life.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Verge review, while hampered with iFanboyism, gave top marks to call volume and quality and said they had to turn down alert volumes for the external speaker, they were so loud.

It's as if no one can get their stories straight.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps, but I'm sensing a huge bias against non-Apple products. In the video review, she faults the design as being nothing special when Apple gets nothing but love for making the same thing over and over. She yawns at the UI, but iOS 6 looks no different than the first iteration. When Apple said they didn't support LTE due to support and battery life, they were applauded as wise; now that the iPhone 5 has LTE, everyone else is WRONG!!! She says that anyone wanting an unlocked phone should look at LTE-equipped phones, ignoring that they'll cost DOUBLE what the N4 does.

It's the same old same old. There is no fault so big as to ding Apple and no flaw too small to not bash Android about. The iPhone could cause radiation poisoning in 5% of users and get 5 stars while a Nexus that adds 10 years to your life will be bashed for not adding 15 years.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
This review fails to note that there was hardly a snowballs chance in hell of lte on this phone...

They may push carrier lte models later but think about it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's where the lack of LTE doesn't matter because ANYTHING has got to be better than Trudge's crap speeds:

On average, it loaded our CNET mobile site in 6 seconds and our full desktop site in 8 seconds.

It took me 24 seconds and 2:08(!!!!) with Chrome on my Epic 4G Touch at my workplace.

The New York Times mobile and desktop sites took 7 and 14 seconds to load, respectively.

It took 1:00 to get the mobile site. I'm not even going to try the full one.

ESPN's mobile site downloaded in 7 seconds and the phone took 15 seconds to load the full site.

I stopped timing after FOUR MINUTES and the MOBILE site not being loaded.

Yeah, I'm really going to hate HSPA. Pffft.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The Verge review, while hampered with iFanboyism, gave top marks to call volume and quality and said they had to turn down alert volumes for the external speaker, they were so loud.

Josh Topolsky is one of he biggest "mainstream" Nexus users and Android supporters out there...his review is really making me caution against purchasing.

That being said, I'll probably purchase nonetheless ;).

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Early production or review units. I'll wait for reviews of actually bought handsets.

This "waah, no LTE" broken record is getting tiresome. The fiasco that Galaxy Nexus owners have had to endure on Verizon is criminal but reviewers use this initial release's config to poo-poo it. Its like kicking the the cat because he wont go "woof."

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
She touched upon an important difference for me between this phone and a Galaxy S3–price. I'm practically on a new contract with T-Mobile and to get this badass phone for $349 off-contract practically sells itself to me. An S3 from T-Mobile at this point would run me $549.