Wireless charging, who else is excited?

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I know some people think its a stupid thing to have because the pad is still connected with a wire.. But the fact is, wireless charging is the future, its amazing technology and I'm glad that I will have it on my next phone and am really excited about it. Sure it's not the first phone to have this feature, but it is the first phone I will have with this feature, and probably not the last.

I was on Nokia's website and saw a few of their charging pads, stands, pillows and it got me to thinking what the pricing will be since they aren't listed. Wireless charging - Wireless Chargers for Nokia Phones - Nokia

But then I went on amazon and saw the Palm touchstone for just $5!! Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre: MP3 Players & Accessories

I'm not sure if it is Qi compatible and will work with the Nexus 4, but I assume they use similar technology so the price difference can't be that great. So at that price I would buy a few of these and stick them around the house.

I'm also interested to see the usage in car docks, I love all the possibilities that mainstreaming this technology can do. And this is one of the reasons why I love technology and the Nexus 4.

Who else can't wait to use wireless charging in the Nexus 4? Leave a comment below if your're excited, or have had good/bad experiences with wireless charging, or if you know if the palm touchstone is compatible with the Nexus 4!!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think i will buy it. I heard in engadget review that Nokia's pillowpad works with the nexus 4 too.

I think there is no complaint there. will buy it. maybe i will buy the nexus official pad.

youareme7

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I am super excited for wireless charging, will be awesome for a bed and desk side dock. I really would like to see car docks too but I do wonder how much power can come through the wireless charging with phones; I worry it might not be enough to charge the phone while it's using bluetooth, gps, music, etc etc. I was pretty disappointed to figure out the touchstone probably won't work, it's an astonishing price. I would expect these Qi compliant docks to msrp $40-$60; hopefully as it gains traction the price will drop. I hate to sound like a vulture but if the lumia 920 bombs then i'd bet those chargers will drop in price fast. I don't think that would be true for the nexus I sold my nexus one desk dock 2 years later for $20 more than i paid for it; totally insane.

AllBlaxx

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I was on the fence about the Nexus 4 for a number of reasons before it was announced on Monday but wireless charging is one of the reasons I will definitely be getting one. The Touchstone was one thing I really loved about owning the Palm Pre 2. It was very convenient and it allows me to have one less charger lying on my bedroom floor when not in use

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Im stoked about it. I usually watch netflix in bed and tend to pass out, setting my phone on the night stand in the process... only to wake up to a non charged phone beeping at me because i didnt plug it in. This solves all my problems. Great feature.

solid_s_1117

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know some people think its a stupid thing to have because the pad is still connected with a wire..

Yup. This will be my first wireless charging capable handset as well, albeit it's not new tech. With that said, is this inductive process not possible with a battery charged pad/stone/etc to make the experience truly wireless?

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
AW: Wireless charging, who else is excited?

I am used to it since 2009 with my Palms and it is great. It is way better than plugging in the chord every night and slightly better than the GNex Dockingstation pins.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The value is for professionals like me who are moving a lot. I have RSA SecurID on my phone so I take it with me and my laptop or tablet into meetings. (We dont allow SecurID on the same device that is connecting to VPN.) I have colleagues who've worn out ports from frequent unplugging.

It doesn't have to charge fast, just keep it topped off or trickle charged.

Grab and go convenience? Yeah. I'm stoked.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I use the wifi hotspot all day at work, so I have my phone plugged in whenever I'm at my desk. The idea of not messing with plugging it in a dozen times a day is a minor, but very welcome feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to try this.
If the price is right and/or other charging pads are compatible, I would love to have a dock next to my work computer (where I constantly plug in and out) and one at home.
Hopefully it's not over 50$.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if the magnets in the charging dock is strong enough to be used as a car mount. don't want it flying off!

I am concerned about availability of the nexus charging dock. Also considering one of those energizer qi based chargers. See them on amazon

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Wonder if the magnets in the charging dock is strong enough to be used as a car mount. don't want it flying off!

I am concerned about availability of the nexus charging dock. Also considering one of those energizer qi based chargers. See them on amazon

Got a link? I have this feeling we won't be seeing the actual Google version for a while now which is weird since companies usually make tons of money on accessories.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
it's a nice feature, but i hate to buy these phone specific accessories since i change phone so often, and it can get expensive. hopefully this will be something google keep putting on their future nexus phones so i can reuse it for next year nexus, then i think it's a good investment for me.

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Definitely excited about this feature. It was one of the only truly magical features of the Palm Prē. I can understand why people who have never used wireless charging would be skeptical. Maybe it's just something you have to experience for yourself.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk