Wired's Review - "Rating: 9/10 Nearly flawless; buy it now"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or didnt understand my post. They are BOTH CONS, BUT what really matters is if it's a CON FOR YOU. These reviews have to take into account that the lack of LTE, SD Card, Bigger storage options, and it not being available on CDMA (in the states) are a con for some (if not many) people.

I agree on the "con for you" part.

Still, when listing pros and cons, I'd expect reviewers (especially US-based ones) to have these as cons:

- No LTE option
- No expandable memory
- No higher memory option than 16GB
- No removable battery

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No LTE option is a definite con.

- Three of the big four constantly promoting their next gen networks as the best user experience, with the fourth moving to that same place

- Phones like the iPhone 4S got dinged last year for not having an LTE option

- The previous generation of the Nexus smartphone had an LTE option

No LTE is a dealbreaker for some. It's not a "con", it's a disqualifying condition for them. Fair enough. Find a phone that has LTE.

Same with SD slots. Nexus 4 ain't got them. Nexus 4 never will. If you need one, use an OTG cable or find a phone with one.

The iPhone is not the Nexus 4. Apple has a lot more money to spend building it and also has partnerships with carriers and a slower update release schedule that can accommodate a simultaneous rollout to all models at once, preventing fragmentation. Google lacks Apple's clout and has to do the best they can in the Nexus line to prevent fragmentation. Verizon, the major US CDMA carrier, isn't playing ball with updates on the Galaxy Nexus, and Verizon needs to be involved in updates because they won't give out their radio code, which is a proprietary CDMA variant, as is their LTE.

If Verizon got the Nexus 4, Verizon customers would simply be complaining about slow updates in six months anyway.

Verizon probably doesn't want a new Nexus anyway. They've probably learned from the GNex how much work it is for so little profit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
No LTE is a dealbreaker for some. It's not a "con", it's a disqualifying condition for them. Fair enough. Find a phone that has LTE.

Same with SD slots. Nexus 4 ain't got them. Nexus 4 never will. If you need one, use an OTG cable or find a phone with one.

The iPhone is not the Nexus 4. Apple has a lot more money to spend building it and also has partnerships with carriers and a slower update release schedule that can accommodate a simultaneous rollout to all models at once, preventing fragmentation. Google lacks Apple's clout and has to do the best they can in the Nexus line to prevent fragmentation. Verizon, the major US CDMA carrier, isn't playing ball with updates on the Galaxy Nexus, and Verizon needs to be involved in updates because they won't give out their radio code, which is a proprietary CDMA variant, as is their LTE.

If Verizon got the Nexus 4, Verizon customers would simply be complaining about slow updates in six months anyway.

Verizon probably doesn't want a new Nexus anyway. They've probably learned from the GNex how much work it is for so little profit.

If it isnt a "con" then nothing is a "con"
For example, having a qHD screen is a con, but if you cant see the difference, it isnt a con. Not having a feature people want is considered a con. Am I missing something here?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
For example, having a qHD screen is a con, but if you cant see the difference, it isnt a con. Not having a feature people want is considered a con. Am I missing something here?

Well my personal opinion.....something like the phone dropping calls while you talk on it is a con. I think these features should be laid out for the end user to decide what is important to them, but the reviewers should leave their personal opinions out of it.

Tell me about the phone and tell me how it compares to whats currently available. Let the end user decide what they need in the device.

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Not having LTE is surely a con. But then again, the price is very low for such a phone. I think one should always count the value for money.

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wired's Review - "Rating: 9/10 Nearly flawless; buy it now"

No lte would be a con if the phone was on Verizon, that's why the 4s got ripped on so hard, because Verizon's 3g speed is horrible. If at&t's network had the lte coverage Verizon did then I could see some people being upset. The way it is now though it's really not a big deal, there's what, 77 lte markets in the US on at&t? Let's see how it is next year with the next nexus, then complain about no lte.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

You miss my point. A con is a disadvantage that might be lived with. If you absolutely must have CDMA, LTE, SD, removable battery, or the other things the Nexus lacks, it's a disqualifying lack. The phone should not even be a consideration.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
No LTE option is a definite con.

- Three of the big four constantly promoting their next gen networks as the best user experience, with the fourth moving to that same place

- Phones like the iPhone 4S got dinged last year for not having an LTE option

- The previous generation of the Nexus smartphone had an LTE option

The previous generation of the AOSP target did not have LTE. That came later, with the Verizon version.
Very much like this one probably will. The difference is we knew ahead of time last year that it was going to happen.

Not having LTE on this version (the unlocked, AOSP target version) is a pro, not a con.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The previous generation of the AOSP target did not have LTE. That came later, with the Verizon version.
Very much like this one probably will. The difference is we knew ahead of time last year that it was going to happen.

Not having LTE on this version (the unlocked, AOSP target version) is a pro, not a con.

Understood.

But I was referring to the product as a whole, in terms of the progression from Nexus One (two targets, right?), the Nexus S (three targets?), and the Galaxy Nexus (aren't there four?).

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You miss my point. A con is a disadvantage that might be lived with. If you absolutely must have CDMA, LTE, SD, removable battery, or the other things the Nexus lacks, it's a disqualifying lack. The phone should not even be a consideration.

If a con is a disadvantage that can be lived with, then LTE is a con. I can live w/o LTE. At the same time, things like qHD screens and bad call quality can be Disqualifying lacks (lacks an HD screen) and the phone shouldnt be considered if you MUST have an HD screen and good call quality. As far as I can tell, they are the same thing. It all depends on whats best for your needs, but overall, it's a con.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree on the "con for you" part.

Still, when listing pros and cons, I'd expect reviewers (especially US-based ones) to have these as cons:

- No LTE option
- No expandable memory
- No higher memory option than 16GB
- No removable battery

I don't care about LTE in the least, but the other 3 are definitely deal-breakers to me.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Understood.

But I was referring to the product as a whole, in terms of the progression from Nexus One (two targets, right?), the Nexus S (three targets?), and the Galaxy Nexus (aren't there four?).

Close enough. There were multiple versions of the same phone in each case.

I'm pretty certain there will be multiple versions of the Nexus 4 as well. A 32GB version with LTE is enough of a hardware "bump" to entice people to pay the difference between the Play Store version and an LTE/carrier version.

If Verizon/Sprint/AT&T want one, it will be made available is the "official" unofficial word from a Google evangelist familiar with the project.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see the point in debating whether no LTE, no SD card slot, and/or no higher storage options are cons or not. The word con is purely subjective. Sure, I'm switching from my S3 with LTE to the Nexus 4 which lacks it. And, will I miss having LTE? Sure. But, the money I would save will more than make up for it. Not to mention, there is Wifi everywhere if I need to download really big files. Will I miss the 16GB of storage my S3 came with? Sure. I'll miss having that 32GB SD card, too. But, I'm willing to try the cloud and USB-OTG for the first time. Would it be awesome if Google had as much clout as Apple? Sure. But, I don't think that takes away from this device. As a result of not having LTE, low storage options, and no micro SD card slot, I can order the Nexus 4 for only $299. Doesn't sound like a con to me. Just my .02 cents.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really don't see the point in debating whether no LTE, no SD card slot, and/or no higher storage options are cons or not. The word con is purely subjective. Sure, I'm switching from my S3 with LTE to the Nexus 4 which lacks it. And, will I miss having LTE? Sure. But, the money I would save will more than make up for it. Not to mention, there is Wifi everywhere if I need to download really big files. Will I miss the 16GB of storage my S3 came with? Sure. I'll miss having that 32GB SD card, too. But, I'm willing to try the cloud and USB-OTG for the first time. Would it be awesome if Google had as much clout as Apple? Sure. But, I don't think that takes away from this device. As a result of not having LTE, low storage options, and no micro SD card slot, I can order the Nexus 4 for only $299. Doesn't sound like a con to me. Just my .02 cents.

So of course under Pro, things like price and battery life and coming unlocked would be listed. :)

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

i would say more so that lack of LTE allows google to push updates directly to the phones when they are ready. The quick updates are a pro. The lack of LTE in of itself it unequivocally a con. If you could have an HPSA+ / LTE att model and still get quick updates that would be ideal. So lack of LTE is a con when other phones like the S3 and Iphone have this.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There are so many other things, LTE would be big if everyone but Verizon had good coverage, and but I digress.

There are bigger things to pick on

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
i would say more so that lack of LTE allows google to push updates directly to the phones when they are ready. The quick updates are a pro. The lack of LTE in of itself it unequivocally a con. If you could have an HPSA+ / LTE att model and still get quick updates that would be ideal. So lack of LTE is a con when other phones like the S3 and Iphone have this.

I don't care about fast updates, or LTE, or anything else.
THIS phone, as in this one that Google is selling themselves, needs to be as open as possible so the Android source code development is not held back. CDMA and LTE licensing will hold it back. The consumer facing side is only one purpose of the Nexus phone.

This is the phone the engineers are using to develop the next version of Android. They don't need to have to play silly games with lawyers over software licensing if it can be avoided.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34