Wired's Review - "Rating: 9/10 Nearly flawless; buy it now"

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of people are viewing something that is a "con" as meaning "fatal disqualifying flaw that renders product unusable." The hysterics over no LTE could lead one to think it had a 30-minute battery life and caused cancer. Let's be real.

Think of it this way: Imagine the hottest celebrity you can; the one you have an understanding with your current significant other that you could sleep with without punishment if the absolutely unlikely opportunity were to arise.

Now think of your current significant other. Are they as hot/rich/famous as your fantasy? Probably not, but would you view that as a con or a disqualifying factor for being with them? Exactly.

The teeth-gnashing over the Nexus 4 and "how Google totally blew it by leaving out [insert bullet point cause for emo whining here]" is childish and getting ridiculous. If any product doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it. Problem solved. Instead of crying that the Nexus 4 lacks something compared to something else, just go buy that other superior thing and get on with things. It's ironic that people are claiming that Google is limiting their choices and to prove their point, they point to all the other alternatives they consider better. If there was no choice, why are there so many "better" things to choose from?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I really want this phone but I don't want to pay an ETF to leave VZW. My contract ends June 2013. By then there would be a new Nexus. I hope the next Nexus is just as cheap in price as this one.
I ran a speed test on a T-Mobile Galaxy S 3. 15 mbps down. My RAZR Maxx with LTE got 7 mbps. Usually at home I can get 35 mbps down. HSPA+ is pretty fast. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about fast updates, or LTE, or anything else.
THIS phone, as in this one that Google is selling themselves, needs to be as open as possible so the Android source code development is not held back. CDMA and LTE licensing will hold it back. The consumer facing side is only one purpose of the Nexus phone.

This is the phone the engineers are using to develop the next version of Android. They don't need to have to play silly games with lawyers over software licensing if it can be avoided.

Thank you, Jerry, for being a voice of reason in all of this.

Back to the OP, I think the Wired review was glowing, and I really hope that AC gives a similar review, because I feel like the people at AC are people I can trust. Should I recommend this phone to my parents? I'll have to wait and find out, but LTE surely isn't going to have anything to do with the answer :D

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of people are viewing something that is a "con" as meaning "fatal disqualifying flaw that renders product unusable." The hysterics over no LTE could lead one to think it had a 30-minute battery life and caused cancer. Let's be real.

Think of it this way: Imagine the hottest celebrity you can; the one you have an understanding with your current significant other that you could sleep with without punishment if the absolutely unlikely opportunity were to arise.

Now think of your current significant other. Are they as hot/rich/famous as your fantasy? Probably not, but would you view that as a con or a disqualifying factor for being with them? Exactly.

The teeth-gnashing over the Nexus 4 and "how Google totally blew it by leaving out [insert bullet point cause for emo whining here]" is childish and getting ridiculous. If any product doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it. Problem solved. Instead of crying that the Nexus 4 lacks something compared to something else, just go buy that other superior thing and get on with things. It's ironic that people are claiming that Google is limiting their choices and to prove their point, they point to all the other alternatives they consider better. If there was no choice, why are there so many "better" things to choose from?

Dirk, your now batting 2 for 2 in the BEST post in this whole Nexus 4 forum. The whole "con of LTE" is just getting downright ridiculous and stupid now. I'm mean its just about a week now since the official announcement of the N4 and EVERYONE in the freaking world now knows this phone is not/never will offer LTE. If you love your LTE/want LTE, then stop the baby crying and go somewhere else and get the LTE phone you want. Cry all you want about no LTE, so move on already.
Plain and simple. The Nexus 4 is then NOT FOR YOU! :mad:

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
THIS phone, as in this one that Google is selling themselves, needs to be as open as possible so the Android source code development is not held back. CDMA and LTE licensing will hold it back. The consumer facing side is only one purpose of the Nexus phone.

This is the phone the engineers are using to develop the next version of Android. They don't need to have to play silly games with lawyers over software licensing if it can be avoided.

I understand that there is justification for lack of LTE. In the US, having CDMA and LTE means carrier restriction / licensing and therefore it makes a device that operates on those bands not ideal for a developer model. Well, that is great for developers, but as the nexus brand becomes more consumer oriented, they are going to need to align the desires of the consumers and the developers. The iphone 5 seems to have a lot of developer support, as does the VZW G Nex. While there are reasonable excuses for the nexus 4 not have LTE, lack of LTE means slower network speeds, so at the end of the day, it is a con.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand that there is justification for lack of LTE. In the US, having CDMA and LTE means carrier restriction / licensing and therefore it makes a device that operates on those bands not ideal for a developer model. Well, that is great for developers, but as the nexus brand becomes more consumer oriented, they are going to need to align the desires of the consumers and the developers. The iphone 5 seems to have a lot of developer support, as does the VZW G Nex. While there are reasonable excuses for the nexus 4 not have LTE, lack of LTE means slower network speeds, so at the end of the day, it is a con.

Is not having lte and lack of SD card a bigger con than if it had those things but the price was $649?also if ur looking at lte as a con for those who like the speed then wouldn't the addition of lte be a con for those who care more about battery life? Its a lose lose no matter what some ppl won't be happy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Is not having lte and lack of SD card a bigger con than if it had those things but the price was $649?

Take the lte out of the equation. Would it be ok to add 16 more gigs for 325?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Is not having lte and lack of SD card a bigger con than if it had those things but the price was $649?also if ur looking at lte as a con for those who like the speed then wouldn't the addition of lte be a con for those who care more about battery life? Its a lose lose no matter what some ppl won't be happy

Two words : RAZR MAXX.. Thing has amazing battery life and is 4G LTE.

If I could sign a 2 year ATT, Sprint or VZW contract and get the Nexus 4 for $299 with 32GB storage, MAXXX size battery and LTE I would vote Matias Duarte as president of the USA and declare that no company should ever build another smartphone, as it is not needed.

However, in the real world I signed a 2 year contract on ATT got a s3 which I am selling to finance a nexus 4 + some extra cash and am VERY EXCITED. Still admit that the missing items are cons / flaws in comparison to other smart phone. The nexus 4 is the phone for me, but a guy can dream. Maybe one day a nexus device will be released that has virtually no flaws. Nov 13 is not that day for myself and many others.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Two words : RAZR MAXX.. Thing has amazing battery life and is 4G LTE.

If I could sign a 2 year ATT, Sprint or VZW contract and get the Nexus 4 for $299 with 32GB storage, MAXXX size battery and LTE I would vote Matias Duarte as president of the USA and declare that no company should ever build another smartphone, as it is not needed.

However, in the real world I signed a 2 year contract on ATT got a s3 which I am selling to finance a nexus 4 + some extra cash and am VERY EXCITED. Still admit that the missing items are cons / flaws in comparison to other smart phone. The nexus 4 is the phone for me, but a guy can dream. Maybe one day a nexus device will be released that has virtually no flaws. Nov 13 is not that day for myself and many others.

If I could get something like the razr Max that was GSM then I would. Don't think that twice the battery life I'm getting is worth a $80 a month bump in my bill.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If I could get something like the razr Max that was GSM then I would. Don't think that twice the battery life I'm getting is worth a $80 a month bump in my bill.

I had a razr with 4g lte and never used it because of the battery drain. The only reason lte seems so fast is because CDMA 3g is slow as s***. When I went from around 15-20mbps to even 6-8mbps on my note it really wasn't that big of a deal

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
How is it that the battery is so weak? I thought this new S4 pro chip was supposed to be all that with power reduction. Everyone says the removable battery isn't important yet here we are back to not being able to get a full day out of it. This irritates me as much as only having a 16gb option.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
How is it that the battery is so weak? I thought this new S4 pro chip was supposed to be all that with power reduction. Everyone says the removable battery isn't important yet here we are back to not being able to get a full day out of it. This irritates me as much as only having a 16gb option.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Ya I'm wondering if that was just some kind of fluke of why it wasn't so close to battery life to the optimus g. But either way to me unless its got a maxx size battery then I'm going to have to charge it 2 times a day anyways

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
No LTE option is a definite con.

- Three of the big four constantly promoting their next gen networks as the best user experience, with the fourth moving to that same place

- Phones like the iPhone 4S got dinged last year for not having an LTE option

- The previous generation of the Nexus smartphone had an LTE option

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Definite con, in a pig's eye.

You can only throw your toys out of the pram for so long. Its a GSM phone, sold at a low, low price. Dont expect a 1:1 feature match with an iPhone costing twice as much. Get over it and move on.

I think the burden to sell an Lte version falls on the carriers, and we've all seen what a bang up job theyve done. :banghead:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I think consumers, the people Google is targeting on the Play Store, are getting concerned with updates. I know on the tmobile support forums (HTC Amaze) customers are getting furious about the long delay in getting ICS, then bugs in that update that have gone unresolved for six months. Bugs that inhibit my use of the phone.

I bought the N7 for this, and will buy the N4 for it. Definitely a selling point for this buyer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Definite con, in a pig's eye.

You can only throw your toys out of the pram for so long. Its a GSM phone, sold at a low, low price. Dont expect a 1:1 feature match with an iPhone costing twice as much. Get over it and move on.

I think the burden to sell an Lte version falls on the carriers, and we've all seen what a bang up job theyve done. :banghead:

I'd expect the next gen to add on from the previous gen. The Galaxy Nexus had an LTE option.

I'm over it.

No LTE option is still a con.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois