Wired's Review - "Rating: 9/10 Nearly flawless; buy it now"

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
No LTE option is a definite con.
I'm not going to convince you otherwise, so let me just say that it doesn't matter one iota to me, given the speed of T-mobile's HSPA+ 42 network and the fact that I am on wifi a lot.
- Three of the big four constantly promoting their next gen networks as the best user experience, with the fourth moving to that same place
Which proves what? A real estate agent will always try to sell you the most expensive house they can. An insurance agent will always sing praises of the insurance plan they're selling. Ads for a given fabric softener will always tell you why that softener is better than the rest. I must have missed when promotions began taking over individual consumer choices. And we do have choices. No one has to buy a Nexus phone if they want Android. There's a lot out there.
- Phones like the iPhone 4S got dinged last year for not having an LTE option
And I'm sure that slowed down the sales figures for the 4S, right? Riiight.
- The previous generation of the Nexus smartphone had an LTE option
And those versions failed to live up to the Nexus name - updates straight from Google and right on time. That is the reason Google gave for dropping it this go-round.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to convince you otherwise, so let me just say that it doesn't matter one iota to me, given the speed of T-mobile's HSPA+ 42 network and the fact that I am on wifi a lot.

The people with access to AT&T's LTE, Sprint's LTE, or Verizon's LTE but without access to T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 network could say the same thing to you.

Which proves what? A real estate agent will always try to sell you the most expensive house they can. An insurance agent will always sing praises of the insurance plan they're selling. Ads for a given fabric softener will always tell you why that softener is better than the rest. I must have missed when promotions began taking over individual consumer choices. And we do have choices. No one has to buy a Nexus phone if they want Android. There's a lot out there..

I've big a big advocate of Android's choices.

Don't like it? You have options. No LTE option is still a con. Just like on the topic of no expandable memory. Need the extra space? There are other options.

I really don't understand why people are upset that reviewers listing "no LTE option" as a con for the Nexus 4. I firmly believe it's a con just like no expandable memory.

And I'm sure that slowed down the sales figures for the 4S, right? Riiight..

Nowhere did I say it would have affected sales of the iPhone 4S.

Still doesn't change the fact that a lot of reviews listed "no LTE option" as a con of the 4S.

And those versions failed to live up to the Nexus name - updates straight from Google and right on time. That is the reason Google gave for dropping it this go-round.

lol. "Live up to the Nexus name".

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd expect the next gen to add on from the previous gen. The Galaxy Nexus had an LTE option.

I'm over it.

No LTE option is still a con.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Especially when hspa is nearing eol and lte is the coming tech. Many people, not necessarily the ones on here, keep phones for many more years than their contract. When eol comes, they will have no data and be forced into a new phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'd pay an extra $100 to be able to get LTE, and an SD Card Slot and removeable battery.
Why don't you buy a phone with those features, then? Spend the extra cash and get a phone that has those features. Done.

If the iphone 5 can have LTE and have better battery life than the nexus 4 it is a con. We are not discussing whether or not it is affordable, not having LTE is a con for every one.
Actually, we ARE discussing whether it's affordable. The value proposition IS part of the discussion - and what you call a con can be turned into a pro for others by the means of the low price. When you buy a phone, you buy the whole thing - and ideally, the judgment call you are making is based on the value proposition - i.e. is what I'm getting worth the price I'm paying for it? If yes, get it. If not, don't. Simple.

The people with access to AT&T's LTE, Sprint's LTE, or Verizon's LTE but without access to T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 network could say the same thing to you.

I've big a big advocate of Android's choices.

Don't like it? You have options. No LTE option is still a con. Just like on the topic of no expandable memory. Need the extra space? There are other options.

I really don't understand why people are upset that reviewers listing "no LTE option" as a con for the Nexus 4. I firmly believe it's a con just like no expandable memory.
Lol. Well, fair enough. In that case, let me suggest where I think we're getting stuck: I am treating the word 'con' as a subjective thing - open to each customer's needs and wants, whereas I think you're trying to establish it as an objective measure, or rather, a fact. The fact is, it doesn't have LTE. The subjective judgment is (a) it's a con, (b) it's not a con. I'm merely trying to say that it's a con for some (you) and not for others (me). And that's alright. We're different customers with different needs/wants. All I'm saying is that 'pros' and 'cons' are inherently subjective, rather than objective, measures. Subjective doesn't necessarily mean invalid, but it is subjective.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Well, fair enough. In that case, let me suggest where I think we're getting stuck: I am treating the word 'con' as a subjective thing - open to each customer's needs and wants, whereas I think you're trying to establish it as an objective measure, or rather, a fact. The fact is, it doesn't have LTE. The subjective judgment is (a) it's a con, (b) it's not a con. I'm merely trying to say that it's a con for some (you) and not for others (me). And that's alright. We're different customers with different needs/wants. All I'm saying is that 'pros' and 'cons' are inherently subjective, rather than objective, measures. Subjective doesn't necessarily mean invalid, but it is subjective.

Instead of simply saying "no LTE option is a con", I should probably say something along the lines of "I can see why these US-based reviewers are listing no LTE as a con".

I agree with them. Lots of people in this thread don't. But I can see why the reviewers are saying no LTE is a con.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe no LTE could be a con but not for everyone. Just like some reviewers listed the size as a con for the Galaxy Note 2. Just because it is a con for them doesn't mean it is a con for everyone. It is very subjective. I love LTE even if it does drain the battery faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2. Baddest phone on the planet.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd expect the next gen to add on from the previous gen. The Galaxy Nexus had an LTE option.

I'm over it.

No LTE option is still a con.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I understand what you're saying. If I'd had LTE before, I'd probably feel the same way. But I haven't, so it's not something that bothers me. (And I have a LTE-enabled device with my SIII, but we don't have AT&T LTE where I live. In fact, I'd have to drive 150-200 miles just to get to the closest LTE coverage. So I've never even used it).

Of course, I'm also one of those people who believe those of you who bought the carrier-branded Galaxy Nexus weren't actually getting a "real" Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure you all think you were...but you weren't. The test of whether you own a true Nexus device, to me anyway, is whether you get your updates directly from Google (and thus, get your updates in a timely manner). The fact is, the Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Nexus(ii?) didn't get their updates to JellyBean straight from Google (or in a timely manner), therefore, they aren't true Nexus devices.

In short, the Galaxy Nexus DIDN'T have a LTE option. The carrier-branded versions DID. But the real Nexus devices from Google have never had a LTE option.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
think about it... when is the next Nexus coming out? one year from now....
so for all the people that NEED LTE and its such a huge "con" then buy that one. I am almost positive it will have LTE especially since Tmobile said there LTE network will be running by the end of 2013.
It seems like half of us are divided. I dont care if it has LTE or not. Id rather take battery life over LTE any day. But it shouldnt hurt the phones reputation/popularity because of it. It is going to be an amazing phone. (period)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you're saying. If I'd had LTE before, I'd probably feel the same way. But I haven't, so it's not something that bothers me. (And I have a LTE-enabled device with my SIII, but we don't have AT&T LTE where I live. In fact, I'd have to drive 150-200 miles just to get to the closest LTE coverage. So I've never even used it).

Of course, I'm also one of those people who believe those of you who bought the carrier-branded Galaxy Nexus weren't actually getting a "real" Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure you all think you were...but you weren't. The test of whether you own a true Nexus device, to me anyway, is whether you get your updates directly from Google (and thus, get your updates in a timely manner). The fact is, the Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Nexus(ii?) didn't get their updates to JellyBean straight from Google (or in a timely manner), therefore, they aren't true Nexus devices.

In short, the Galaxy Nexus DIDN'T have a LTE option. The carrier-branded versions DID. But the real Nexus devices from Google have never had a LTE option.

ah.. back to the "is the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus a real Nexus device?" debate. FWIW, I'm in the camp that believe a Nexus is whatever Google called a Nexus.

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow....just wow. We are given more options with android and still complain that the options aren't enough? Some will never be satisfied is the lesson here. I am a five year sprint customer who is selling both of our sgs3s(wife and I) and jumping ship. I am tired of sprint always dangling a carrot in front of us and paying $150 + a month to see what they do next. We are both students so saving money is very important right now. I am also tired of the fragmentation of these nexus phones and am glad Google is making a stand against the carriers. Thank you Google for all you do to advance the industry, it takes bold moves and faith to effect change. I for one have faith in this bold move and couldn't be happier with the change(actually its a return to the original mission I believe). Thank you to all who have contributed reviews for the nexus 4, both good and bad. In the end I try and remember that these devices are phones and all the extra stuff they do is icing on the cake. Then again I also remember a time when pay phones ruled the world when we were away from home...a true source of gratitude for what we have now.

Go Android! Go Google!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

ctfrommn

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
No LTE is a dealbreaker for some. It's not a "con", it's a disqualifying condition for them. Fair enough. Find a phone that has LTE.

Same with SD slots. Nexus 4 ain't got them. Nexus 4 never will. If you need one, use an OTG cable or find a phone with one.

The iPhone is not the Nexus 4. Apple has a lot more money to spend building it and also has partnerships with carriers and a slower update release schedule that can accommodate a simultaneous rollout to all models at once, preventing fragmentation. Google lacks Apple's clout and has to do the best they can in the Nexus line to prevent fragmentation. Verizon, the major US CDMA carrier, isn't playing ball with updates on the Galaxy Nexus, and Verizon needs to be involved in updates because they won't give out their radio code, which is a proprietary CDMA variant, as is their LTE.

If Verizon got the Nexus 4, Verizon customers would simply be complaining about slow updates in six months anyway.

Verizon probably doesn't want a new Nexus anyway. They've probably learned from the GNex how much work it is for so little profit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
I will guarantee you Apple will feel the same pain as Google did a year from now when they are making 3 custom OS's because of the 3 different LTE bands. I suspect bugs will arise that werent there when they only had 3G on basically 1 network, till this year anyway. Google is making a statement with these devices regarding carriers and fragmentation. They are playing the long odds and forgoing short term "gains" to get a single, standardized network in the US. I cant blame them either. Every single carrier locked "Nexus" ever made has been fraught with issues and bugs that the unlocked ones never saw. Not to mention negating the quick updates that are the reason we buy a Google device in the 1st place. So, I for one think this is a great "statement" device and fully intend to support this decision by purchasing it. My $.02 anyway.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I will guarantee you Apple will feel the same pain as Google did a year from now when they are making 3 custom OS's because of the 3 different LTE bands. I suspect bugs will arise that werent there when they only had 3G on basically 1 network, till this year anyway. Google is making a statement with these devices regarding carriers and fragmentation. They are playing the long odds and forgoing short term "gains" to get a single, standardized network in the US. I cant blame them either. Every single carrier locked "Nexus" ever made has been fraught with issues and bugs that the unlocked ones never saw. Not to mention negating the quick updates that are the reason we buy a Google device in the 1st place. So, I for one think this is a great "statement" device and fully intend to support this decision by purchasing it. My $.02 anyway.

We know that Verizon and Sprint won't be switching their CDMA 1xRTT and EVDO networks to GSM/UMTS/HSPA networks. The regionals and prepaids that use similar networks probably won't switch unless they are acquired by a GSM-based network provider (see T-Mobile/MetroPCS).

Even then, a single, standardized network in the US is just a dream.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
We know that Verizon and Sprint won't be switching their CDMA 1xRTT and EVDO networks to GSM/UMTS/HSPA networks. The regionals and prepaids that use similar networks probably won't switch unless they are acquired by a GSM-based network provider (see T-Mobile/MetroPCS).

Even then, a single, standardized network in the US is just a dream.

Mostly a dream, but atm every carrier plans to have LTE be completely standard and fully deployed for Voice and talk. So eventually we may see a single radio that can access every single LTE network in the US. Which would be close to a single standard network.

We'll see what happens in the future.....but we are WAY WAY off from this. Iirc Verizon won't even start putting voice there till 2015 and I believe they said 2021 for completion? Not totally sure on that one. But either way, I'm content with whats currently out there.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Mostly a dream, but atm every carrier plans to have LTE be completely standard and fully deployed for Voice and talk. So eventually we may see a single radio that can access every single LTE network in the US. Which would be close to a single standard network.

We'll see what happens in the future.....but we are WAY WAY off from this. Iirc Verizon won't even start putting voice there till 2015 and I believe they said 2021 for completion? Not totally sure on that one. But either way, I'm content with whats currently out there.

Well yes. The dream will be reality eventually. That reality is still years away, though.

We do know that every major network in the US is headed to LTE and VoLTE. But by the time that every network is at the level where one could argue that we are at a point of a pretty much single standard network, the Nexus 4 will have long been irrelevant.

Kind of makes CTFROMMN's "They are playing the long odds and forgoing short term "gains" to get a single, standardized network in the US." statement well kind of moot.

ctfrommn

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well yes. The dream will be reality eventually. That reality is still years away, though.

We do know that every major network in the US is headed to LTE and VoLTE. But by the time that every network is at the level where one could argue that we are at a point of a pretty much single standard network, the Nexus 4 will have long been irrelevant.

Kind of makes CTFROMMN's "They are playing the long odds and forgoing short term "gains" to get a single, standardized network in the US." statement well kind of moot.

I wasnt referring to the Nexus 4 as the object for this end game, merely a 1st volley fired across the bow of fragmented networking. Of course this phone will be obsolete by then, but the idea of network standardization or at the very least uncooperative carriers should be much improved by then. Google always looks to the long term as well as the short with everything they do. Google+ is a perfect example, I mean who would think to take on Facebook? Theyre too big and too powerful to compete with....I bet we have a different opinion 2-3 years from now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wasnt referring to the Nexus 4 as the object for this end game, merely a 1st volley fired across the bow of fragmented networking. Of course this phone will be obsolete by then, but the idea of network standardization or at the very least uncooperative carriers should be much improved by then. Google always looks to the long term as well as the short with everything they do. Google+ is a perfect example, I mean who would think to take on Facebook? Theyre too big and too powerful to compete with....I bet we have a different opinion 2-3 years from now.

Could you help me understand how Google is firing first (with the Nexus 4) when the plans for awhile now have been for the major (US) networks to go to LTE, VoLTE, LTE-Advanced?

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I still don't get WHY LTE is a minus to the phone? Yes, we ALL know it doesn't have LTE and that will eliminate a large part of the cell phone consumer community on VZW/Sprint.
But the Nexus 4 shouldn't be dinged because of this. I want to know all the Pros/Cons of the phone ITSELF as it stands. Like battery, screen, Android 4.2, photosphere, speed, etc etc. These are the things that will affect ANYONE who actually buys the phone. Not having LTE just eliminates a part of the buyer market, has 0% to do with the phone.

Ugggg.. Please stop the stupid 'OMG THIS PHONE SUCKS BECAUSE IT HAS NO LTE". No it doesn't! Get a GSM carrier, not the f-ing phone's fault!

So I'm going to assume that you've never used lte before. If you did, you wouldn't be this positive over a 2012 nexus not having lte.

Sent from something AMAZING using my pinkie

ctfrommn

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Could you help me understand how Google is firing first (with the Nexus 4) when the plans for awhile now have been for the major (US) networks to go to LTE, VoLTE, LTE-Advanced?
I think is is less an offensive move and more of an "opt out" of making 3-4 custom Nexus phones for multiple carriers. LTE might be a long term answer, but the current state of it sucks. VZW might do it very well, I have no idea cause I would give VZW a dime for their over priced service. But the likes of ATT and Sprint are having a terrible time rolling it out with any speed or efficiency. Im all for 30mb downloads and uncapped data, but not at the expense of waiting 3-6 months for a software update filled with carrier crap. Google took a big PR hit with the GN and the battery issues and super slow updates. They are smart to not play that game again.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
As has been said.... "Y'all aren't complaining about no LTE, you're complaining that you're locked into long-term Verizon contracts."

Actually areas like saint Louis has robust lte network for AT&T but horrible t-mobile data speeds

StinDaWg

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So I'm going to assume that you've never used lte before. If you did, you wouldn't be this positive over a 2012 nexus not having lte.

You can get 15-25 mbps down on T-Mobile HSPA+. So no, it's not a big deal to most.