Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Default South Africa(hahaha) Nexus 4 and Appeal to Google

I'm a South African, and I have read on our local (albeit infinitely inferior to Android Central) tech news website that LG do not plan to bring the Nexus 4 to South Africa (I had to get my GNex through Samsung at one of their shops, or my other option was to get it through one of our providers).

Google Play only lets South Africans buy apps, no music, no movies, no magazines or books, and definitely no hardware. We have to wait for things (being overlooked is getting annoying). In fact, I don't think the Nexus 7 has even arrived yet (GNex arrived in March).

So I want to know if there is any way to appeal to Google to be able to buy a Nexus 4 through them, or will I be forced to do the through Amazon purchase and have a friend bring it over? If I did it all through Amazon I would have to pay an amount that is disproportionate to how much I actually want one, because to import it is ridiculously ridiculous.

The thing is I know that not many South Africans would go for it, because we're very much into gimmicks and whatever is marketed better (Samsung's touch wiz is thought to be Android, no one knows the stock Android experience). Only a few nerds and half-nerds such as myself even cared that the GNex was out. So maybe because the GNex showed them that the 4 shouldn't be sold here because it's not too lucrative, but then can't we get the option to get it online? Is that too ridiculous to ask?

So my rant aside, is there anywhere that I can contact Google? I've tried asking another unrelated question in their groups section or whatever it is, and never got a reply. So does anyone have any knowledge about contact?

Default Re: South Africa(hahaha) Nexus 4 and Appeal to Google

That's like asking a tree to talk. Sorry about your luck lol.
    ("CEO - Android Central") was revoked from my signature. Guess they should edit you cannot joke in your signature either

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Default South Africa(hahaha) Nexus 4 and Appeal to Google

Harsh lol

I dont know how phone numbers work over there... but here is what I found
    •Main Phone Number: 1-650-253-0000
    •Main Fax Number: 1-650-253-0001
    •Google Customer Service: 1-650-623-4000

maybe one of the numbers can respond or direct you to the right person to buy a phone.
    Good luck
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Thanks, but I've found those numbers. I'm not prepared to call America just to get a question answered... not that desperate yet to know. I'm mostly bemoaning the fact that we're always overlooked.

Boet it happens in Australia as well, just not as bad.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by CaneToad View Post
    Boet it happens in Australia as well, just not as bad.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, but that's Australia. Who cares about them? :P
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    As I mentioned in a similar post to a fellow from Kenya, I am reasonably certain there are hoops that Google simply does not want to/can't jump through (local law/tax issues, federal regulations, etc.). I know setting up iPhone markets in some countries is even a big deal for Apple and their sales juggernaut.

I seriously doubt Google will (or even can) make an exception for you.
    Yes... unfortunately I know that to be true. The main aim was to find out if I can contact Google in any way (maybe not any way since calling an American number is just not an option, especially if it's going to be customer care, and "please hold", and chomping away at my airtime).

Also, Kenya is Kenya, and South Africa is South Africa (and better). Not to be conceited, but we ought to be noticed over any of the other African countries since we top the list.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd bet Egypt gets it before anyone else on that continent does, if any get it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaguy99 View Post
    I'd bet Egypt gets it before anyone else on that continent does, if any get it.
    I would be surprised if they do, Egypt is old news.

If you want it so badly why not import it?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Because I don't want it that badly. If I import it and pay through the nose for it, the next Nexus will come out and I'll want that as badly. I just wanted a more affordable solution.

Are you 100 percent certain it's not coming to south Africa i heard it was going to be brought here just that it was being shipped by LG and not by google so it was going to be considerably more expensive
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

If you're South African you should know that it's not fair to ask if anyone is 100% certain of anything. No I'm not, but I would say that I was fairly certain.

Where did you hear LG was bringing it? This is my source for LG not bringing it. No Google Nexus 4 for SA: the real story

Even if LG brings it themselves (which you will see by the above article I doubt that LG would bring it) then it would probably only get here in March like the GNex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hat Thing View Post
    Yes, but that's Australia. Who cares about them? :P
    I do <3 Here its cheaper to import everything. Everything is overvalued here.
    Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa... I always hear about that place no matter where I go!
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hat Thing View Post
    Because I don't want it that badly. If I import it and pay through the nose for it, the next Nexus will come out and I'll want that as badly. I just wanted a more affordable solution.
    So you want it, can import it, but don't want to do that, you want Google to bend over backwards for you specifically. Good luck with that.
    Google it.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    So you want it, can import it, but don't want to do that, you want Google to bend over backwards for you specifically. Good luck with that.
    Gee buddy, money may be no object to you but I actually need most of my money to survive.
    Have you ever left the States? Have you ever been to South Africa? Have you ever been in South Africa and imported something?

Also, that's a bit of an ignorant statement isn't it? I don't want them to bend over backwards, and not for me specifically. USA isn't the only place in the world. All I want is proper support. I want my country to be recognised. So no, I don't want them to "bend over backwards". I don't want South Africa getting certain products and services to be "bending over backwards".

Your tone of condescension is part of what is wrong here, and that seems to be this USA-centric attitude that pisses the rest of us off.

My gran lives in England, she visits SA quite often. Thus, I'll get it sent to her, no import tax, nothing. It's also unlocked so it should (technically) work here. Hope you get it in.

My mate is going back to SA soon as schooling is too expensive for him here (GOV doesn't subsidise) thus doing his last year back at home but also as its last chance to rep SA in sport otherwise he would have to wait another 6 years. I should get him to sell them there.
    Tom Fairclough

Countries have certain import/export restrictions with individual nations and groups of nations. These restrictions define which levels of technology, in all forms, can be "shared" and with whom they can be shared. Hence why almost everything in technology is referred to in "generations", because this term is used to say how many generations old product X must be in order to be shared with country Y. This is due to complex geopolitical ties between ally, neutral, and axis nations. And the definition of which category a particular country falls under depends on which country you ask.

Google is a US company, and LG is a South Korean company. While South Korea may have no trouble selling latest gen products to SA (I don't know their restrictions), the US does not allow it. For items to be allowed, it likely must be a full generation behind in all components. This explains why you got the GNex in March, because by that time the Processor, Screen, Radios, Memory, and Battery were no longer the latest generation of telecommunication or computing technology. The rules in the US are set by the Department of Commerce, and enforced by the Bureau of Customs.

If you would like to learn more about US export controls, I would suggest reading up from the following government site: US Exporting Basics

I hope this helps everyone's understanding about why certain countries get the latest US developed products, while others do not.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

@ iToffeeApple If I made a deal with you... would your granny get me one too?

@JaxChris Thanks for that info. It's actually quite interesting. Do you have any idea [Iwhy[/I] they do that? Sounds awful. It's horrific.

But also, another thing, Samsung brought the GNex here, bought it from them (I had to flash it to make the Google GNex it was the annoying yakjuxx version), so why would USA have any say in that? Unless it's because they designed it. Those laws just seem spiteful to me. Another aspect of my gripe.

But, what can the little man do? Nuthin'

BTW, any South Africans here got the 4.2 update yet?

Most NATO allied countries subscribe to a similar chart on export controls, as not to offend other nations or risk their own status within the international trade community. Once a product reaches enough technological age, the manufacturer can export or sell where allowed. You likely see this happen with all the latest items you hear about launching internationally.

But on the upside, your country benefits economically by this status. Since you don't get the latest and greatest foreign goods all the time, it pushes for more homegrown solutions which keeps you spending your money with domestic companies on domestic goods, instead of foreign debts. This keeps your potential trade deficits down and your employment rate high. Take pride in knowing your country is in better shape than all of us with our first world problems. =)
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
    Take pride in knowing your country is in better shape than all of us with our first world problems. =)
    Yum... ya...no.

You might just have to order from a non American Ebay account.
    Tom Fairclough

Stuck with the same problem - a generation of the Nexus later. I'm a fellow South African also tired of having only outdated tech available at more twice the cost of the latest tech overseas. Yes, it would be possible to import it by buying the phone (in my case the Nexus 5, selling for $349) and mailing it to a US address to have it shipped to South Africa, and it's possible to get the landed cost less than $100 more than the original price. So, $449 for a phone which would have cost about $800 if it ever was sold locally. I agree, Google Play must expand their full support as they do with so many other countries to South Africa, or at least give you the option to buy it through the Play Store with additional third party shipping... I found a few ways to import it, mainly from searching a lot of other forms. I would post possible options if there is enough interest. One thing holding me back from buying though, is out of the five imports I've made so far, all have landed (the tracking ID of courier stops when it arrives in SA) only to have 3 of the 5 shipments stolen between Oliver Thambo (our international airport) and my residential address, 30 km away. The beauty of the irony of this country, all in all, is even though more than half of the shipments were stolen, the total cost of shipments were still less than the value of the goods locally that actually arrived. This is truly a sad country to live in.