nexus 4 micro sim

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So I am on contract on t mobile and I want to have a micro sim ready to slot into a nexus 4 as soon as it gets delivered to my home. How can I pull this off coming from a standard sim phone?

I would prefer to pay no monies and to get a new micro sim if possible. I went to a tmobile store today and they wanted to charge me 10 bucks for one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also if I do have to end up having to go to tmobile to get it, do they somehow transfer the info that is attached to my current sim to the new micro sim?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So I am on contract on t mobile and I want to have a micro sim ready to slot into a nexus 4 as soon as it gets delivered to my home. How can I pull this off coming from a standard sim phone?

I would prefer to pay no monies and to get a new micro sim if possible. I went to a tmobile store today and they wanted to charge me 10 bucks for one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also if I do have to end up having to go to tmobile to get it, do they somehow transfer the info that is attached to my current sim to the new micro sim?

buy a sim cutter. cost about $5 and also come with sim adapter. when the new phone comes just use it to cut it. and it takes only 5 seconds.

or if you dont want to spend any money. cut it yourself. watch some videos on youtube

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same situation but I think I'll pony up the $10 to save myself the headache and uncertainties.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I also bought a micro sim on tmobile s website.
$0.99 free shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for your help. I think I will try to order the dollar one from tmobile's website. Do I have to port over my number from the standard SIM to the new micro sim? Im assuming those instruction come in this kit?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for your help. I think I will try to order the dollar one from tmobile's website. Do I have to port over my number from the standard SIM to the new micro sim? Im assuming those instruction come in this kit?

If you're currently on a postpaid plan and want a new Micro SIM, just go to a T-Mobile store, have them cut it or give you a new Micro SIM and provision it on the spot. They shouldn't make you pay. If they do, tell them you'll just leave and cut it yourself... They're 100% happy to cut anyones SIM that comes in with an iPhone, they should be happy to cut yours too.

If you order that $0.99 SIM, it's meant to be used and activated online with a new prepaid plan, not used for an existing plan. Save yourself the headache and just go get it cut at a T-Mo store (or get a cutter an cut yourself). I would not advise that you buy that SIM online, there's no guarantee at all that it will work with a postpaid plan, especially because the CS agent you call will be extremely confused trying to provision it for you.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I barely trust T-Mobile customer service to successfully execute the most basic and routine of tasks. Their incompetence becomes almost farcical when you throw them a curve ball. Keep things simple if you possibly can.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're currently on a postpaid plan and want a new Micro SIM, just go to a T-Mobile store, have them cut it or give you a new Micro SIM and provision it on the spot. They shouldn't make you pay. If they do, tell them you'll just leave and cut it yourself... They're 100% happy to cut anyones SIM that comes in with an iPhone, they should be happy to cut yours too.

Excellent points! I forgot about their push to get iPhone users on their network!

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
You have convinced me Andrew! lol.

My last question to you would be, Im using a standard sim in a tmobile g2 that has hspa 14.4. When I cut down this sim with a sim cutter and use it in the nexus 4 will I be able to get the hspa +42 speeds? Or do I need to get a brand new card? I know sometimes you have to get a brand new sim because tech has progressed and the old sim doesn't support some features of a new phone.

HTMLSpinnr

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I went to a tmobile store today and they wanted to charge me 10 bucks for one.

Was this a corporate T-Mobile store or a T-Mobile branded 3rd party store? I imagine if you walk into a T-Mobile corporate store, they wouldn't try to charge $10.

I'm currently on a Value Plan and plan to order the 99? version online, then use my.t-mobile.com to update my SIM number online.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

My last question to you would be, Im using a standard sim in a tmobile g2 that has hspa 14.4. When I cut down this sim with a sim cutter and use it in the nexus 4 will I be able to get the hspa +42 speeds? Or do I need to get a brand new card? I know sometimes you have to get a brand new sim because tech has progressed and the old sim doesn't support some features of a new phone.

As you old card supported HDPA it should support faster one too as it's same networking system, just upgraded, like GPRS to EDGE.

I got very old pre paid sim card that i got before 3G networks showed up, still i was able to use HDPA+ on my current GS2, but i gues thats alldepends on carrier

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

The SIM will work fine. Some of the really old cards won't work but if you have it in a G2 then no worries.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Just a little update. I ordered a sim cutter for 3 bucks with shipping and tested cutting on two extra tmobile standard size sims I had laying around. It seems there are two different variations within the standard sim. The standard sim plastic card is the same size with both of the sims I had but the gold rectangular circuitry thing was different sizes. One was very obviously smaller than the other. I used the sim cutter on both and the one with the bigger gold circuitry (was an older sim card) almost cut into the gold part by like a nano meter lol. The smaller gold cicuitry sim had a lot more clearance and white plastic border around it.

Anyways I tried using the adapters that came with the sim cutter and the cut down sim cards don't seem to stay in very well. I would try to slip the plastic adapter with the cut down micro sim into the sim card slot of my G2 but the sim would fall out of the adapter every time.

So I gave a call to t mobile customer service and asked them how would I get a new micro sim so when my new unlocked phone came I would be ready to go. She said you can just stop by a store and get a new micro sim. I asked her if they would just replace my standard sim in my G2 for a micro sim if I brought both phones to a store. She said yes but they would charge 20 dollars for the new micro sim. I was like wow really? I basically said kthnxbai.

5 minutes later the same rep called me back and said she took care of it. She wrote a note in my account saying for them to give it to me for free. All I have to do is walk into any store and tell them to read the note on my account.

I was like ughhh... thanks? lol

She must have saw that my contract is almost up and wanted to keep me happy. Whatever straight talk here I come...only 2 months left of this garbage.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... So I gave a call to t mobile customer service and asked them how would I get a new micro sim so when my new unlocked phone came I would be ready to go. She said you can just stop by a store and get a new micro sim. I asked her if they would just replace my standard sim in my G2 for a micro sim if I brought both phones to a store. She said yes but they would charge 20 dollars for the new micro sim. I was like wow really? I basically said kthnxbai.

5 minutes later the same rep called me back and said she took care of it. She wrote a note in my account saying for them to give it to me for free. All I have to do is walk into any store and tell them to read the note on my account.

I was like ughhh... thanks? lol

She must have saw that my contract is almost up and wanted to keep me happy. Whatever straight talk here I come...only 2 months left of this garbage.
I still can't believe they were going to charge me 20 bucks. They should just give me a new damn sim. So cheap!
Yep, yep. Some people will just pay $20, in which case T-mobile recoups some of the parts and labor, but if you press the issue, they can certainly comp it for you at least once, perhaps more. Being a contract customer has a few benefits.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised they are allowed to charge you $10, In Australia we have a government authority that deals with these if you lodge a complaint - Department of Fair Trading or something. I know my own dealer, apparently its $2 for a new sim or if your a current customer I believe they just give you a new sim if you wish. Its good that they have customer care hotline which allows you to get it for free after complaints.