n00b Q; Nexus 4, T-Mobile, WiFi sans mobile network... SMS/MMS?

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps a n00b question but, since WiFi calling won't be a possibility unless T-Mobile produces an app to facilitate it ( I won't hold my breath ) or releases a custom kernel ( what's the temperature in Hell? ), will sending SMS/MMS messages also be impossible unless I have a mobile network connection? I can do this with my present device but its from/through T-Mobile and supports WiFi calling as well... I ran into this post while searching but it doesn't touch upon T-Mobile and certainly not a Nexus 4.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
SMS/MMS require that you have an active SIM and number associated with it... it's a carrier service. You can use one of the other services like Google Voice (there are many others) that give you a virtual number, but that's it. Otherwise you need mobile network to send/receive SMS and MMS.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
There no standard of SMS/MMS over the network (as well as telephony over WAN) or else all phones already would have it :p so most i guess no

"releases a custom kernel"

Linux kernel does not support any audio communication (other then partly analog modems as they work like sound cards), it only controls flow of data and they are utlized by applications in user space.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Let me clarify.
I've a Sensation 4G on T-Mobile right now.
Right now I'm only connected to my WiFi and my mobile network is set to OFF but I can still send SMS/MMS messages.

Okay. Before posting I ran a couple of tests. Under the Quick Settings tab from the menu it states that my Mobile Network is Off but Settings > About Phone > Network under Mobile Network Type is listed GPRS ( so I assume its getting something, I've no bars but there's no "X" over the bars ). I placed the phone into Airplane Mode then only enabling WiFi, I was unable to send an SMS message. Now I disabled Airplane Mode and turned off my WiFi connection... even with NO bars and the Quick Menu tab stating I have no Mobile Network connection ( "OFF" ) I was able to successfully send out my text message.

Wow, all this time I though the phone was utilizing my WiFi for this!!?