For people comparing 4s to Nexus 4

hunterhp

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I keep reading people saying that Android fans complained that iPhone 4s didn't have LTE and that it was a deal breaker, and that they're hypocrites for not saying the same thing for the Nexus 4.

The iPhone 4s had HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.8 Mbps! Those are 3G Speeds! The iPhone got some flak for it, but when it was reviewed, it was hyped like it wasn't a big deal, because since it was an iPhone, somehow that made up for the awful speeds.

Now reviewers and all the tech media seems to throw out the word LTE as if it's an abstract of super fast speeds.

MetroPCS has LTE and here are their speeds:
9.9Mbps down and 5.7Mbps up
Source: Exclusive: Hands On With the Samsung Galaxy S3 for MetroPCS | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

ATT and Verizon has LTE and here are their speeds:
iPhone 5 Verizon 4G LTE Speed Test Results
?8.52 Mbps download, 13.87 Mbps upload, 39 ms ping
?7.47 Mbps download, 13.70 Mbps upload, 38 ms ping
?10.21 Mbps download, 13.81 Mbps upload, 38 ms ping
iPhone 5 on AT&T 4G LTE Speed Test Results

?9.32 Mbps download, 13.69 Mbps upload, 47 ms ping
?9.11 Mbps download, 13.88 Mbps upload, 47 ms ping
?9.69 Mbps download, 16.20 Mbps upload, 48 ms ping
?8.96 Mbps download, 15.83 Mbps upload, 40 ms ping

Source: AT&T vs Verizon 4G LTE: iPhone 5 PIcks up Serious Speed

Here are some T-Mobile HSPA+ 42Mbps Speed Tests

HTC Amaze 4G

1.Download: 26.67 Mbps Upload: 3.30 Mbps Ping: 39ms
2.Download: 26.63 Mbps Upload: 2.84 Mbps Ping: 44ms
3.Download: 27.19 Mbps Upload: 2.87 Mbps Ping: 37ms
4.Download: 24.90 Mbps Upload: 3.46 Mbps Ping: 48ms
5.Download: 19.51 Mbps Upload: 2.69 Mbps Ping: 44ms
6.Download: 27.99 Mbps Upload: 3.09 Mbps Ping: 39ms
7.Download: 25.65 Mbps Upload: 2.74 Mbps Ping: 56ms
8.Download: 27.61 Mbps Upload: 2.68 Mbps Ping: 61ms
Samsung Galaxy S II

1.Download: 25.94 Mbps Upload: 2.75 Mbps Ping: 46ms
2.Download: 23.88 Mbps Upload: 2.19 Mbps Ping: 49ms
3.Download: 23.71 Mbps Upload: 2.46 Mbps Ping: 48ms
4.Download: 21.86 Mbps Upload: 2.24 Mbps Ping: 43ms
5.Download: 23.00 Mbps Upload: 2.96 Mbps Ping: 66ms
6.Download: 26.07 Mbps Upload: 3.39 Mbps Ping: 39ms
7.Download: 20.46 Mbps Upload: 3.27 Mbps Ping: 46ms
8.Download: 24.85 Mbps Upload: 2.64 Mbps Ping: 49ms

View attachment untitled.bmp
View attachment untitled2.bmp

Source: T-Mobile's 42.2 Mbps HSPA+ network earns my respect as a 4G network | ZDNet

This is the reason why I hate the LTE argument. LTE is a great technology, don't get me wrong. But every reviewer and tech blog keeps pointing at LTE as if it's automatically faster, and thus the Nexus 4 is at a disadvantage, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I am in Canada but this is good information regardless. I have been wondering how much of a difference it would really make.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Nice. Even if the n4 had lte I would keep it turned off to save battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I know this reply isn't about the speeds, but I have to give the same negative to the Nexus 4 that I gave to the iPhone 4s. Glass back!? Cmon... A friend of mine dropped hers, luckily it landed on the back, not front. But cracked and looked like hell even though it still worked. And google went with that? Crazy.

Wonder if Apple will sue them now for stealing that. Kind of hope so, to force them to rethink it.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
This is the reason why I hate the LTE argument. LTE is a great technology, don't get me wrong. But every reviewer and tech blog keeps pointing at LTE as if it's automatically faster, and thus the Nexus 4 is at a disadvantage, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Winner winner! As I stated in another "LTE bashing" thread on the N4, this isn't a "con" but rather a "drawback". Just because the N4 doesn't have LTE, doesn't mean the phone is a POS, as most reviews/some posters here are whining about. The phone works FINE without LTE. That was Google's decision, not a fault of the phone itself. People just see 'no LTE' and automatically go into convulsions like it's this most awesome thing in the world. It's nice, yes, but it's not the ONLY technology to achieve high speeds on a smartphone.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You did find test in which few phones are tested insame location? because wireless networks of any kind speed it's lottery depenedsing where you are and what weather is

hunterhp

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I know this reply isn't about the speeds, but I have to give the same negative to the Nexus 4 that I gave to the iPhone 4s. Glass back!? Cmon... A friend of mine dropped hers, luckily it landed on the back, not front. But cracked and looked like hell even though it still worked. And google went with that? Crazy.

Wonder if Apple will sue them now for stealing that. Kind of hope so, to force them to rethink it.

Yeah, the glass back seems to be like it could be an issue. Hopefully if the battery is as simple as 2 torx screws to get to then the back can be replaced too.

4a7u2e9y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hunterhp

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You did find test in which few phones are tested insame location? because wireless networks of any kind speed it's lottery depenedsing where you are and what weather is

Here's a report from pcmag http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405596,00.asp

Tmobile average speed across 30 US cities: 7.14Mbps
Verizon average speed across 30 US cities: 8.87Mbps

A negligible speed difference when you compare Tmobiles unlimited plan vs Verizon or Att, as well as the mvno's that are allowed to use the full hspa+ speeds that offer plans as low as $50 a month for unlimited everything and 4Gb at 4G speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the 'bashing' on LTE comes not because the phone doesn't have LTE, but because the phone doesn't run on Verizon. AT&T and Sprint LTE are virtually non-existent. Now, not being compatible with Verizon is a CON, but it isn't terrible.

i understand people bashing the N4 for not having LTE. But when the price is $299 and $349, I think people are MAJORLY overlooking that. The unlocked price of the phone is such a HUGE deal people don't even realize in this carrier-subsidized landscape we live in today.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
i understand people bashing the N4 for not having LTE. But when the price is $299 and $349, I think people are MAJORLY overlooking that. The unlocked price of the phone is such a HUGE deal people don't even realize in this carrier-subsidized landscape we live in today.

This

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4S was / is HSPA+ just as the Nexus 4 is. It was hardily bashed by "technical journalists" / self-proclaimed techies in the "press" like Engadget CNET etc etc.

Pretty much no one gets HSPA+ speeds even on LTE - which is what Jobs said about why they didn't go LTE, along with battery life, screwy standards etc. Took Google about 18 months to come to the same conclusion.

Reminds me of what Jobs said about Flash vs HTML 5.....

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
With the data plan available, LTE or whatever is no more than supplementary thing because 2gb or 5gb is no Where near enough to be the main connection. So, I don't get all the fuss. HSPA+ is enough speed For the job.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
With the data plan available, LTE or whatever is no more than supplementary thing because 2gb or 5gb is no Where near enough to be the main connection. So, I don't get all the fuss. HSPA+ is enough speed For the job.

+100...Just get the N4 and LTE will be waaayyy in the past. LOL

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
But Gaiz, Joey T-Tops said on Teh Vurge that HSPA+ is 4 Bombaclots using the gulliest of speedz.

True Evolution

I want the one with the more GeeBees => I want the one with the moar Geez.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why anyone is having problems with the glass back/front of the device. Isn't the back and front of the device made from gorilla glass 2? Isn't that stuff glass/shatter proof lol?

Anyone have experience with gorilla glass? Has your phone shattered or gotten scratched?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why anyone is having problems with the glass back/front of the device. Isn't the back and front of the device made from gorilla glass 2? Isn't that stuff glass/shatter proof lol?

Anyone have experience with gorilla glass? Has your phone shattered or gotten scratched?

They call it glass for a reason. Put a case on it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

hunterhp

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the 'bashing' on LTE comes not because the phone doesn't have LTE, but because the phone doesn't run on Verizon. AT&T and Sprint LTE are virtually non-existent. Now, not being compatible with Verizon is a CON, but it isn't terrible.

I think the lack of availability for CDMA network is a legitimate reason to be frustrated, but the tech analysts have cited numerous times that they were upset at the lack of LTE. They keep stating it as if it's a speed related problem, not an availability issue. They use the term LTE like they use "Retina Display". It's like a coined phrase that let's people know "It has either a good screen or a crappy screen". With LTE, it's "It's either fast or slow".

Here's some nice information that anandtech put together about LTE and HSPA+
AnandTech - The iPhone 4S, HSPA+, and When HSPA+ is Real 4G

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, for the people that like it so much that do not want to put a case on it, they will more than likely get insurance on it, when it does eventually slip...fall....and crack they can spend the $200 insurance will most likely charge them to receive either a new/refurbished/ or get their phone back but repaired, not to mention how much they have to pay monthly or yearly for the insurance.

Price range the phone is in is the don't really need insurance because it is almost as cheap to get a new one category, so do it smart and put it in a case where if you do slip up you may not have damaged it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87