Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylou View Post
    unfortunately, tmobile can and will do their best to detect "unauthorized" wifi hotspot traffic, and block you.

    I got my MyTouch 4G in Feb 2011 and used the built-in wifi hotspot for over a year. Sometime this summer I got a text message from t-mo saying I was about to be blocked, and a couple days later I was -- the hotspot wouldn't work anymore. I complained and a support rep said I could always download an app like PDANet that provided mobile tethering. I did that, worked OK, but a couple months later I found that any HTTPS connection -- including google.com -- wouldn't work on my connected laptop, would just time out. I called t-mo and they did something to fix it, but a week later the problem was back again and an hour later I got a text from t-mo saying i should upgrade to hotspot service or some traffic would be blocked. I called t-mo again and they confirmed that I needed to purchase the hotspot service. they said their technology was catching up with their policies so they were better able to find and block people who were using other hotspot services. I wasn't using much data, just checking email and web surfing from a laptop here and there.
    Did you try it with the user-agent on your desktop browser set to imitate a mobile browser?
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Did you try it with the user-agent on your desktop browser set to imitate a mobile browser?
    Not sure that would do it. The TTL settings on the out going--that is, the tethered-- device would likely need to be changed to cloak it effectively.

    I came across a fascinating dialogue about this very topic in a forum a while back .... Its an iOS forum, and the two principal discussants (who appear to have forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know) were referring to ATTs sniffing practices, but I think its likely relevant for tMO too. Here's the link ... lengthy reading but worth it.



    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  3. #28  
    dan1431's Avatar

    Posts
    291 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    I know that the Carrier Branded Galaxy S2 and maybe the S3s have a built in program called tethering manager which checks with the provider to determine if the customer has the privilege tether or not.

    Dan
    Last edited by dan1431; 11-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post
    Not sure that would do it. The TTL settings on the out going--that is, the tethered-- device would likely need to be changed to cloak it effectively.

    I came across a fascinating dialogue about this very topic in a forum a while back .... Its an iOS forum, and the two principal discussants (who appear to have forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know) were referring to ATTs sniffing practices, but I think its likely relevant for tMO too. Here's the link ... lengthy reading but worth it.



    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I have previously read that TMobile just checks user agent, so you might want to try it.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Why on earth would they block https trafic? So you can't do online banking? Email? Buy stuff online?

    This makes no sense whatsoever.
    totally agree; made no sense to me either but it's what they're doing. google.com is https, so I can't even do a google search from a tethered device. I decided they don't want to block me completely, they just want to annoy the crap out of me.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylou View Post
    totally agree; made no sense to me either but it's what they're doing. google.com is https, so I can't even do a google search from a tethered device. I decided they don't want to block me completely, they just want to annoy the crap out of me.
    Interesting...

    Slightly off-topic alert ----

    Here on my wife's notebook, if I open Firefox, type "google" in the address bar and hit Ctrl-Enter (or "google.com" and Enter), it does indeed take me to "https://www.google.com". Now, if I go up into the address bar, delete the offending 's' and hit Enter, it takes me to "www.google.com" - right clicking the page and selecting info shows that I am now viewing "http://www.google.com". However, typing "http://www.google.com" (with or without the www) takes me back to the https page.

    On the other hand, same computer, IE8 defaults to the http page.

    Which browser are you using on your tethered device?
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    I have a N4 and I'm using T-mobile. I don't have the HotSpot feature on my line. I was able to use it, but 600mb later my laptop was directed to a T-mobile page that asks me to add the feature. I haven't used it since.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    I have at&t with an unlimited plan, can I use the hotspot or tether feature?
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Something I've never gotten is why exactly tethering/hotspot requires paying extra. You have unlimited data don't you? Well, of course it's not truly unlimited, but the point remains, you signed up for x amount of data. Shouldn't you be free to use that data how you see fit? Is a byte of data being sent to/from a phone any different than that another byte of data sent to/from a computer? No, of course not.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    I have at&t with an unlimited plan, can I use the hotspot or tether feature?
    Your grandfathered unlimited plan only applies to the primary device...your phone in other words. If you tether you are violating ATTs TOS, and may be forced onto a tiered data plan if your tethering is detected. So your choices are as follows:

    1. Pay extra for their legit tethering package (annoyingly pricey, but the least hassle)
    2. Tether and attempt to cloak your usage by modifying settings such as browser agent and outgoing TTL (doable but a bit of a pain, and brings no guarantee it will work 100%)

    From experience, I can tell you ATT monitors tethering religiously. If you choose option two you may get away with it for a while, and if/when they detect you, they'll send you a polite but firmly worded cease and desist" text. And if you continue they'll just move your account to a tethering data plan.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  11. #36  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiesui View Post
    Something I've never gotten is why exactly tethering/hotspot requires paying extra. You have unlimited data don't you? Well, of course it's not truly unlimited, but the point remains, you signed up for x amount of data. Shouldn't you be free to use that data how you see fit? Is a byte of data being sent to/from a phone any different than that another byte of data sent to/from a computer? No, of course not.
    This subject has been debated at length in countless forums. The short answer to your last question is no, the byte of data itself is no different. But the usage behavior of the customer who does the tethering often becomes different, esp. when they go from a4.5 inch phone screen to a 15" laptop for their data activities. They tend to use more--a lot more. Is this their right in an unlimited plan? In theory, yes (though technically no, because att's TOS forbids unauthorized tethering). And because all mobile data is shared and finite, a small percentage of yahoos that use 25+ gigs of data/month can affect others' ability to enjoy the network.

    Should att have thought about this before offering unlimited? Yes.
    Should they just upgrade to accommodate the volume of data traffic? Yes.
    Is att out to make money any way it can, like just about any company, and will they? Yes.

    I applaud T-Mobile for bucking the limited data plan tend; it was a canny business move--and it persuaded me to cross over after 7 years with att. But I for one will not try to get away with unauthorized tethering. If I want to do so, I'll go about it the legitimate way and pay for that kind of data package.





    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post
    This subject has been debated at length in countless forums. The short answer to your last question is no, the byte of data itself is no different. But the usage behavior of the customer who does the tethering often becomes different, esp. when they go from a4.5 inch phone screen to a 15" laptop for their data activities. They tend to use more--a lot more. Is this their right in an unlimited plan? In theory, yes (though technically no, because att's TOS forbids unauthorized tethering). And because all mobile data is shared and finite, a small percentage of yahoos that use 25+ gigs of data/month can affect others' ability to enjoy the network.
    With the world moving to mobile though, and with faster and faster mobile processors, this distinction is getting fuzzier as people can't use data *that* much faster with a laptop than a smartphone. I can sort of understand on an unlimited data plan, but on a limited plan it's annoying -- shouldn't I be able to churn through my 2GB of high-speed access however I wish?
  13. #38  
    klau25's Avatar

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    how about tethering from phone to my Nexus 7? Will they be able to tell?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    how about tethering from phone to my Nexus 7? Will they be able to tell?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    From what I've gathered from people much smarter about this topic than I am, the answer to that is very likely to be yes.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5/Moto X
    Thanked by:
    klau25 
  15. #40  
    klau25's Avatar

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post
    From what I've gathered from people much smarter about this topic than I am, the answer to that is very likely to be yes.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    thanks. yeah, that's more important now a days since I hardly ever take my laptop out if the house with me.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylou View Post
    With the world moving to mobile though, and with faster and faster mobile processors, this distinction is getting fuzzier as people can't use data *that* much faster with a laptop than a smartphone. I can sort of understand on an unlimited data plan, but on a limited plan it's annoying -- shouldn't I be able to churn through my 2GB of high-speed access however I wish?
    I'm with you in sentiment, and you may be onto something in recognizing the ever-increasing shift to mobile-only data and the affect that it may have on carrier behavior. Perhaps tethering practices will diminish in the years to come, making it less of an issue altogether. On the other hand, the carriers will usually try to monetize anything they can in the pursuit of additional revenue streams. Just look at texting as an example: they're still monetizing the heck out of that (at price points even more ludicrous than tethering), and laughing all the way to the bank in the process.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    thanks. yeah, that's more important now a days since I hardly ever take my laptop out if the house with me.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    There seems to be two primary ways of tracking it. Either by checking the user-agent when people visit browsers (i.e. mobile browser vs. it becoming non-mobile once its tethered), and verifying the outgoing TTL setting, which has a numerical value that changes by a factor of one when data is being routed through a secondary device. When the carrier sees that increased TTL number, they know you're tethering. If this is their method of tracking, just changing the user-agent won't cut it, and messing with TTL settings takes more fiddling around from what I understand. On a jailbroken iPad you have to have root access to mess with the TTL values... and when the device is rebooted, it defaults back to a setting that would make it possible for a carrier to track--so you have to reset it every time the machine is shut off. Not sure about that kind of access on a Nexus 7, or how it works, but I assume it's just as doable on that device with some effort.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    thanks. yeah, that's more important now a days since I hardly ever take my laptop out if the house with me.
    The answer is yes, but to a diminished capacity. Tethering a device running a desktop environment will raise more flags than would tethering a device running another installation of Android.
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    I've been tethering my 7 through my 4 fairly regularly on tmo. However I've not been using a ton of data. Just like anything with a telco keeping a small footprint in what you're up to will keep you out of the cross hairs. Some side of their detection is automated. So I would expect they only perk their ears up when you hit a particular limit or metric that sets off thier attention to you.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    After staying in good operating condition for far long than I might have liked, my G2x finally took a (honestly unintentional) fall on my driveway and shattered the gorilla glass - while leaving the underlying LCD still operational -- allowing me the excuse to look for a new phone. I'm leaning very strongly towards the Nexus 4 (I liked the near-vanilla experience of the G2x, and LOVE the purity of the N7), but have a question about the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature.

    On my G2x, the hotspot automatically turns off after a user-configurable period of 'idle' activity which can be set at a maximum of 15 minutes. Unfortunately, some 'light' but active usage I'll run on my tablet or laptop will be construed by the phone as 'idle' and cause it to disconnect. If the N4 has a similar timeout set, can it be disabled (without rooting/unlocking)? Also, how bad of a battery hog is the N4 when used as a hotspot?

    Thanks in advance!
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Well holy crap, after blocking HTTPS across my tethering connection, T-Mobile just blocked embedded youtube videos -- from my phone, not from a tethered device. Don't get on their anti-tethering radar, they'll start hounding you. Jerks. (Not jerks exactly -- they just need to figure out how to block tethering accurately if they're choosing that stingy path.)
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylou View Post
    totally agree; made no sense to me either but it's what they're doing. google.com is https, so I can't even do a google search from a tethered device. I decided they don't want to block me completely, they just want to annoy the crap out of me.
    oh, hahahaha -- I think this may not have been tmobile, but that I was using the free version of PDA-net which apparently blocks https traffic. aaaah.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Can't we just use encrypted everything from the connected device, or does the website have to support it? If so, maybe that's why they're blocking https?
  24. #49  
    KitN's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    I've tethered over 4.6GBs of cellular data using WiFi hotspot this month. Hehe! Works like a charm and TMO hasn't blocked me or throttled me.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    I've tethered over 4.6GBs of cellular data using WiFi hotspot this month. Hehe! Works like a charm and TMO hasn't blocked me or throttled me.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Details?

    Laptop or tablet? Any user agent ID manipulations or stock?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot turns off automatically
    By weragsxr in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM
  2. Wi-Fi hotspot performance?
    By Kalnel in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM
  3. New way to setuo Wi-Fi hotspot
    By herbmmm in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
  4. Small bug with 4G + Wi-Fi Hotspot
    By brittonx in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
  5. Wi-Fi Hotspot hack question...
    By moviemogul in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

B