Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 Wi-Fi Hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Details?

Laptop or tablet? Any user agent ID manipulations or stock?
    Mostly tablet (Nexus 7) but I have connected my laptop as well and browsed the Internets.

TMO hasn't throttled me or sent me any warnings or anything. I'm on the Monthly 4G $30 100/min/Unlimited Text/Unlimited Data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Mostly tablet (Nexus 7) but I have connected my laptop as well and browsed the Internets.

TMO hasn't throttled me or sent me any warnings or anything. I'm on the Monthly 4G $30 100/min/Unlimited Text/Unlimited Data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yeah - I think you might be in the clear with the N7 indefinitely, but if you use the laptop a bit too much you might actually trigger something eventually - unless of course you go with the fake user agent ID plug in for firefox or similar strategy/theory.

Got the N4, added as my TMobile phone, used the Wifi Hotspot, and was blocked within a couple days. The phone said I'd used something like 100MB but I think it was including other traffic so the total was probably less than that; it was just a few hours of regularly web surfing over two days. This is an unlocked N4 bought from Google, no special TMobile software on it. I would already have been on their radar so that probably sped things up.

Just an update.... chrome also has a user agent string plug in called "User-Agent Switcher for Chrome" which allows you to change it for anything running chrome. So, for the N4 it looks something like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.1; Nexus 4 Build/JOP22F) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19

For a Nexus 7:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; Nexus 7 Build/JRO03D) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Safari/535.19

pc running IE8:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1)

So you get the idea. YOur carrier could be simply checking your string randomly searching with certain keywords that raise the flag. Best strategy would be to mimic your N4 string exactly.

You can find yours here:

It's kinda fun playing around with it. CHange your string and then see how some web pages treat your browser differently when they think you are a phone or any other device.
    pfantom777 likes this.

Noob question, but where is the WiFi Hotspot? Is there an app for it (I don't see one) or is it under WiFi settings, and if so, where? I'd like to try it with my tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
    Noob question, but where is the WiFi Hotspot? Is there an app for it (I don't see one) or is it under WiFi settings, and if so, where? I'd like to try it with my tablet.
    On the N4 it's Settings - More - Tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Bottom line -- if you agree to a contract that excludes tethering, it's hard to argue with a company enforcing the provision. What we need is a little more competition to get more options.

Quote Originally Posted by deichenlaub View Post
    Bottom line -- if you agree to a contract that excludes tethering, it's hard to argue with a company enforcing the provision. What we need is a little more competition to get more options.
    well.. yeah sort of, but it's like health insurance where you don't find this stuff out until you've signed the contract. they originally touted my phone as providing wifi but didn't say "..at an extra cost".

How do you set it up? I'm not tech savy but I have a LG Google Nexus 4 and I would love to use it as a hotspot for my laptop while I'm travelling. I have the cord too.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Traficante View Post
    How do you set it up? I'm not tech savy but I have a LG Google Nexus 4 and I would love to use it as a hotspot for my laptop while I'm travelling. I have the cord too.
    It is fairly simple. Of course you need a data plan such as the T-Mo $30. 5gb Walmart deal. Go to settingstouch More.. just under Data Usage and then you will see "tethering and portable hotspot" click and then click on Setup Wifi hotspot. Set up your network and then be sure to check the Portable wifi Hotspot box.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123