Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  • 2 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 1 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  • 2 Post By dmmarck
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    sidamos's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

    Default N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    The N4 is losing in browser benchmarks in the reviews despite the fast CPU.

    I think, this is because of Chrome. Chrome is slower than the standard Android browser on my GNex in those benchmarks.

    So I wonder, why Google forces the use of Chrome on the N4. Why not make this an option, like on the GNex with Jelly Bean?

    Or why don't they optimize Chrome for the phone CPUs (that have for example less cache)?
  2. #2  
    odd1ne's Avatar

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Companies will always use there software as the number one option why Microsoft got into trouble a few years ago. An iPhone isn't going to come with opera as its main browser they will always use safari same with Microsoft they will always use internet explore its Just the way it is.

    Anyway I think Chrome is the fastest browser on my nexus 7 anyway.

    Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    I liked Chrome on my phone but I use Firefox because of AdBlock Plus and no other reason. Are there ads on the page I have loaded right now? I wouldn't know.

    I could care less about how fast it renders anything compared to other browsers, I want to save myself the headache of looking at ads.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    I disagree, I think it is a base problem with the preproduction software. All android phones (that are able) use chrome in anandtechs benchmark test, and beat the nexus 4. Unless something is really wrong with the version of chrome on the nexus 4 (we don't know if it is the same version), its much easier to believe it is a base software issue. AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 Performance Preview
  5. #5  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    I liked Chrome on my phone but I use Firefox because of AdBlock Plus and no other reason. Are there ads on the page I have loaded right now? I wouldn't know.

    I could care less about how fast it renders anything compared to other browsers, I want to save myself the headache of looking at ads.
    Did I mention that I don't own an iPad or iPhone and don't plan on purchasing either? There are computers out there, even now, that are much faster than the one I'm typing this post on. All things considered, I'll be sticking with my MacPro with Radeon HD 5870 for now with Windows 7 Pro on a Bootcamp partition and I'll be sticking it out with Android for my mobile devices for my foreseeable future and plan on purchasing a 16GB Nexus 4 as soon as I possibly can.

    The OS, hardware specs and price of the Nexus 4 impress me more than the same aspects of the iPhone 5. I'm simply not going to go iOS for my phone or portable devices and Anandtech might as well have thrown in the specs for a Cray Supercomputer Portable Phone.

    Hey, I just did a search for an Unlocked iPhone 5 on eBay... I'm seeing BuyItNow prices hovering around $1,000. No thanks. It has LTE, though...
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~
  6. #6  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    I have to try out Firefox on my Nexus 7. I've just used chrome on it. I KNOW chrome is pretty bad as of now, but I just love the syncing it has to my Desktop and Phone. Makes life less painful even though the browser is annoying.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    sidamos's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

    Default AW: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by odd1ne View Post
    Anyway I think Chrome is the fastest browser on my nexus 7 anyway.
    Did you try the standard Android browser?
  8. #8  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,953 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,156 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Broken record here....just want to say....don't pay attention to benchmarks....
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 4:
    Ry, obi5683, netstars22 and 1 others like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    benchmarks are stupid... i like chrome and is better than stock.

    stock and chrome are made by Google. why pour in resource for stock if chrome can do the job.
    Google is trying to unify the experience and cut down all redudency
  10. #10  
    odd1ne's Avatar

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Did you try the standard Android browser?
    On the nexus 7 it is the standard browser...unless you download another

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Or the Optimus G has faster benchmarks because they use "creative" ways of mounting filesystems and pre-caching, and have since the Optimus 3D.

    One of the two

    Edit: the not-so-subtle version -- they do things to make file I/O faster and get higher benchmark scores. These tweaks actually degrade performance, but the numbers are pretty.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 2:
    obi5683Ry 
    Ry and obi5683 like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    sidamos's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by odd1ne View Post
    On the nexus 7 it is the standard browser...unless you download another

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I know, I meant the "old" standard Android browser.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    benchmarks are stupid... i like chrome and is better than stock.

    stock and chrome are made by Google. why pour in resource for stock if chrome can do the job.
    Google is trying to unify the experience and cut down all redudency
    I guess they are stupid because the nexus 4 performances so poorly, but if it was at the top of the list some people would be bragging about them.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    sidamos's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

    Default AW: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Yep. Google claims, the N4 is the fastest smartphone on the planet and then they accept that it will lose in the browser benchmarks because of Chrome. That is stupid.

    And even if they will update the software soon, the damage is already done.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Or the Optimus G has faster benchmarks because they use "creative" ways of mounting filesystems and pre-caching, and have since the Optimus 3D.

    One of the two

    Edit: the not-so-subtle version -- they do things to make file I/O faster and get higher benchmark scores. These tweaks actually degrade performance, but the numbers are pretty.
    CNET UK has confirmed it is amazing on performance. They stayed its only competition is the the Note 2.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    What are benchmarks about? Is it the ability to play apps and multitask?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Its just stupid test's like how fast to open a page in microseconds. WOW! 1 micro second faster.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    That can't be it =/. Why are they so much different versions?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    ANANDTECH did the follow
    Time for Java in ms.
    Browsermark
    Google Octane
    Mozilla - Execution time
    MTexels
    MTriangles
    Frames per seciond
    Battery life through an Idle.
    I am not the biggest computer wiz so i don't understand all the tests they did, but i believe some are pretty self explanatory.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    I guess they are stupid because the nexus 4 performances so poorly, but if it was at the top of the list some people would be bragging about them.
    even if it was at the top its stupid!!! if someone cared about benchmark you would see me create a thread like this!!!
  21. #21  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,953 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,156 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    I guess they are stupid because the nexus 4 performances so poorly, but if it was at the top of the list some people would be bragging about them.
    Nope. I would still call them stupid. Because they are.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    obi5683 likes this.
  22. #22  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Nope. I would still call them stupid. Because they are.
    This.
    Cory Streater and obi5683 like this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Nope. I would still call them stupid. Because they are.
    The truth hurts, but the truth is the truth. No changing that.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,953 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,156 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

    Even knowing what went into making Vellamo, and the fact that Qualcomm really didn't build it to favor its chips (it's the other way around, actually, Qualcomm used "standard" benchmarks to figure out where to work on their architecture), I still don't like them. They rely too heavily on software to be able to accurately compare different phones and platforms on the hardware side. All a benchmark will tell you is how well the software performs (with better, more optimized software doing better, obviously, with the caveat being what Jerry posted above).
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM
  5. Benchmark results?
    By droid junkie in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 04:18 AM

Posting Permissions