Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ziptied
  • 1 Post By I Monarch
  • 1 Post By Woosh
  • 1 Post By ctfrommn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    StevenX's Avatar

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

    Default Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    I'm wondering if the Nexus 4 is going to be available in stores in the USA, unlocked. I'm thinking of replacing my Galaxy S2 with the Nexus even though my contract has a few months left and then going to pre-paid. The phone's going to be 279 in the UK via the Play store, but $349 in the US Play Store (16 GB), which works back to about 230 including tax.

    I'll be visiting the US from November 22nd, so if I could go buy a 16 GB Nexus at a store for $349, I'd wait to do that rather than buy it from the UK Play Store. Is it likely to be available at that price off-contract in stores in the US, or is it only available direct from Google through the Play Store? What was the setup with the Galaxy Nexus?
  2. #2  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    With the Galaxy Nexus, if you want carrier branded, you can pick one up in a brick and mortar store. You want unlocked, have to go through the play store. While you are here try getting a local prepaid sim card, set your region to US, and see if it will let you order with the US based play store...
    "In valor, there is hope."
  3. #3  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Play store or Tmobile stores which I think is 499.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    I think this will primarily be sold through play store BUT I have to wonder if Google will partner with Bestbuy like it did for the N1 to get it out in front of more people. Some say this will drive price of device up and thats why the Nexus 7 is not currently in any Best buy stores. But that doesnt quite explain why the Nexus 7 is sold at Staples, Game stop, etc at the same price as play store....

    Only time will tell my friend but expect intially for it to only be available through play store and Tmo
  5. #5  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    I think you mean nexus s, the n1 wasn't sold at best buy.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Play Store and certain T-Mobile locations at launch. That's it. And T-Mobile is going to be $499 off contract, so not worth it.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I'm wondering if the Nexus 4 is going to be available in stores in the USA, unlocked. I'm thinking of replacing my Galaxy S2 with the Nexus even though my contract has a few months left and then going to pre-paid. The phone's going to be 279 in the UK via the Play store, but $349 in the US Play Store (16 GB), which works back to about 230 including tax.

    I'll be visiting the US from November 22nd, so if I could go buy a 16 GB Nexus at a store for $349, I'd wait to do that rather than buy it from the UK Play Store. Is it likely to be available at that price off-contract in stores in the US, or is it only available direct from Google through the Play Store? What was the setup with the Galaxy Nexus?
    Best Buy might sell it unlocked, but it might cost more than $349.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Making stuff up are we? There's nothing saying best buy will carry it.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    Best Buy might sell it unlocked, but it might cost more than $349.
    Don't think Google has said anything about selling the device in the US anywhere except the Play Store and T-Mobile stores.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Anyone mentioning Best Buy selling this device is speculating, and wildly.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  11. #11  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    If you buy it in a T-mo store, it will be locked to the T-mo network. Unlocked will have to be purchased from the Play store... Don't think for a second that one bought at a T-mo store will work anywhere else unless you get the sim unlock code from T-mo.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    "In valor, there is hope."
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    If you buy it in a T-mo store, it will be locked to the T-mo network. Unlocked will have to be purchased from the Play store... Don't think for a second that one bought at a T-mo store will work anywhere else unless you get the sim unlock code from T-mo.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Wanna bet?

    I mean I could be wrong but I highly doubt it. They look to be selling the exact version of the one on the play store and selling it for $150 more PLUS the ability to lock people into 2 year contracts. They don't care if they sell it to you locked or not.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    If you buy it in a T-mo store, it will be locked to the T-mo network. Unlocked will have to be purchased from the Play store... Don't think for a second that one bought at a T-mo store will work anywhere else unless you get the sim unlock code from T-mo.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    All indications and knowledge point to the fact that the T-Mobile ones will be unlocked, unbranded and with no T-Mobile apps on-board.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  14. #14  
    ctfrommn's Avatar

    Posts
    40 Posts
    ROM
    Evervolv JB

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    All indications and knowledge point to the fact that the T-Mobile ones will be unlocked, unbranded and with no T-Mobile apps on-board.
    Indeed, it is the exact same phone. T-Mobile is making their money on contracts. There is only 1 Nexus 4 coming to market.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  15. #15  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ctfrommn View Post
    Indeed, it is the exact same phone. T-Mobile is making their money on contracts. There is only 1 Nexus 4 coming to market.
    Yep, 100% identical, I do believe TMo is changing the box though.
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    diverbelow's Avatar

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I'm wondering if the Nexus 4 is going to be available in stores in the USA, unlocked. I'm thinking of replacing my Galaxy S2 with the Nexus even though my contract has a few months left and then going to pre-paid. The phone's going to be 279 in the UK via the Play store, but $349 in the US Play Store (16 GB), which works back to about 230 including tax.

    I'll be visiting the US from November 22nd, so if I could go buy a 16 GB Nexus at a store for $349, I'd wait to do that rather than buy it from the UK Play Store. Is it likely to be available at that price off-contract in stores in the US, or is it only available direct from Google through the Play Store? What was the setup with the Galaxy Nexus?
    What you could do while in the U.S., is buy the N4 as a gift (similar what you can do with a N7) for someone, so it is not tied to your Google account. Just don't know how long it will ship.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to download music from Google Play store
    By _EPG_ in forum AT&T Galaxy S II
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
  2. Help please, Is Galaxy Nexus From the Play store Model #?????
    By PAC757 in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
  3. Where to buy nexus?
    By piaband in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
  4. Where to post this, not sure
    By genuino in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions