Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ziptied
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 & Straight Talk Support

I'm not quite sure if this has been addressed but I have a couple questions regarding using the Nexus 4

1. which option do i pick when buying a SIM Card
    Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)
    AT&T Compatible Phone

Note I cannot pick the T-Mobile option because it says It's not available in my area.

2. Does the Nexus 4 use a micro SIM or a reglar sim card.

3. If it uses a micro sim, is there anyway to use at&t's go phone plan with this (like getting a go phone micro sim)

Thanks!
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Nexus 4 & Straight Talk Support

Search, there are already 100x too many threads with the same questions with answers.
    Thanked by 2:
    Andrew Martonik and still1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTubeCentral View Post
    I'm not quite sure if this has been addressed but I have a couple questions regarding using the Nexus 4

1. which option do i pick when buying a SIM Card
    Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)
    AT&T Compatible Phone

Note I cannot pick the T-Mobile option because it says It's not available in my area.

2. Does the Nexus 4 use a micro SIM or a reglar sim card.

3. If it uses a micro sim, is there anyway to use at&t's go phone plan with this (like getting a go phone micro sim)

Thanks!
    Although this has been answered a minimum of 1000x here and in several other forums, here we go...

1. You choose Unlocked if you don't care whether you get T-Mobile or AT&T service. They choose for you based on your ZIP code you enter. If you specifically want AT&T or T-Mobile, select that option. You have the bands to use either one. If your area doesn't have T-Mobile, it doesnt matter because you'll never be given T-Mobile. They only have two options for SIMs, they both work the exact same, doesn't matter what you choose.

2. Micro.

3. You can get a GoPhone plan and cut the SIM (or have them provision a Micro for you), but I don't know why you would. GoPhone is about $70/month with 1GB of data (you can't use it as a non-smartphone, they'll catch you), there are several prepaid options that are a better value.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Although this has been answered a minimum of 1000x here and in several other forums, here we go...

1. You choose Unlocked if you don't care whether you get T-Mobile or AT&T service. They choose for you based on your ZIP code you enter. If you specifically want AT&T or T-Mobile, select that option. You have the bands to use either one. If your area doesn't have T-Mobile, it doesnt matter because you'll never be given T-Mobile. They only have two options for SIMs, they both work the exact same, doesn't matter what you choose.

2. Micro.

3. You can get a GoPhone plan and cut the SIM (or have them provision a Micro for you), but I don't know why you would. GoPhone is about $70/month with 1GB of data (you can't use it as a non-smartphone, they'll catch you), there are several prepaid options that are a better value.
    Thank you! I was just wondering about the micro sim thing because I currently have at&t and was wondering what to do if I get my phone before switching to straight talk. So i'll pick the unlock option? I'm confused who i'll get service from then. At first I thought it meant that you could use a phone locked to at&t or t-mobile's network and use it on straight talk.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTubeCentral View Post
    Thank you! I was just wondering about the micro sim thing because I currently have at&t and was wondering what to do if I get my phone before switching to straight talk. So i'll pick the unlock option? I'm confused who i'll get service from then. At first I thought it meant that you could use a phone locked to at&t or t-mobile's network and use it on straight talk.
    You'll get AT&T regardless. As you said, you'll never be given T-Mobile because ST has determined that your area doesn't have good enough T-Mobile coverage to sell you a SIM.

The "unlocked" option exists so that they can have an opportunity to sell either AT&T or T-Mobile to you. It just helps them see what options they can offer. You're over-thinking this. If you want AT&T, select AT&T. You'll get AT&T.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T