Cool way to see if you can live without LTE

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey I current have Gnex on VZW. I plan on purchasing the Nexus 4 even though it has no LTE. I know there have been other users who are in my scenario and want to see if they can manage withought LTE. Some have said buy nexus and return if it doesn't work (too much trouble IMO). What I have done is I have turned off my LTE and have been running on VZW 3G. now keep in mind that if you plan to get T-Mobile their HSPA+ is at least 5-10x faster ( if not faster and depends on your area) than the speeds you will see on Vzw 3G. I have run speed tests but they don't tell the true story. Instead I solely have it on 3G and no LTE and plan to have it that way for at least leading to release of Nexus 4. So far I have been happy. Web pages and music has been loading pretty fast. But please don't do this and compare speed test results. Put it through real life scenarios like loading YouTube videos, music on Google music, web pages , etc (whatever you do regularly on your device). Hope this heps you guys out! :)

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
great idea! I just turned off LET. looking forward to see how it goes. Since I live, work, and do the majority of my shenanigans in downtown Cleveland, I don't foresee too many issues.

sent from my Asus Transformer Pad TF300T running Jelly Bean

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey I current have Gnex on VZW. I plan on purchasing the Nexus 4 even though it has no LTE. I know there have been other users who are in my scenario and want to see if they can manage withought LTE. Some have said buy nexus and return if it doesn't work (too much trouble IMO). What I have done is I have turned off my LTE and have been running on VZW 3G. now keep in mind that if you plan to get T-Mobile their HSPA+ is at least 5-10x faster ( if not faster and depends on your area) than the speeds you will see on Vzw 3G. I have run speed tests but they don't tell the true story. Instead I solely have it on 3G and no LTE and plan to have it that way for at least leading to release of Nexus 4. So far I have been happy. Web pages and music has been loading pretty fast. But please don't do this and compare speed test results. Put it through real life scenarios like loading YouTube videos, music on Google music, web pages , etc (whatever you do regularly on your device). Hope this heps you guys out! :)

Bit of a pointless experiment IMO. You'd be better off turning on lte to see how it is. The problem is that Verizon has a very solid network while T mobile doesn't quite compare in coverage and building penetration.

But speeds are generally either more than good, if not borderline great when signal is strong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I noticed with tmobile's refarming of spectrum in NYC the building penetration is way better. There used to be a dead spots in couple of areas in the places I work and travel and those areas now get great reception.

Generally my reception seems stronger and more stable than before (it was pretty good before, like 98, but now its like 99.9). I love tmobile.

I think the experiment your doing is great. Keep on verizon's 3G and see how things go. Now if you go to tmobile with hspa+ 42 imagine how much faster it would be. Even HSPA+21 is pretty good. My GF has a gnex on att and her webpages load pretty snappy considering we are in a congested cell market (NYC).

Goldenbrown

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to Sprint, the Now (and Then) Network , with truly unlimited dial up.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll actually be like quadrupling my speeds by laching onto T-mobile's network. My network speed is not only disgustinly slow but incredibly unstable.

For example I can be in my house and see my phone go from 3G, to H, to Edge, to dead signal. randomly without me moving the phone at all.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I would probably have difficulty with this experiment, since even connecting to my home wifi (which is slower than lte) seems painful. I really want a n4, but I don't think I can go back to slower speeds.
I feel like it is (very) unlikely, but there are rumors floating around about a verizon n4.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
The internet can go only so fast in real world applications. My home internet when you test it on speedtest.net is a solid 21mbps. Thats generally what a lot of hspa+ 42 users report getting on that benchmark if not more.

My home internet actually downloads files anywhere from 500kbps to 3mbps. I have never seen it download even from the fastest websites more than 3mbps. Websites I have seen 2-3mbps are Microsoft, Nvidia, and Steam.

Do I feel my home internet is slow? Hell no. It loads pages instantly. I play online video games without a hitch and any lag I can perceive. Big games I have to download that are a few gigs big. Well I just let my internet run for a bit while I do something else.

My G2 speedtests around 5mbps download speed. When I download from google play I literally get anywhere from 200kbps to 1.5mbps, more than fine for me since I download updates to my apps a few secs each.
So ya benchmarks like speedtest.net are nice and all but it is not real world applicable.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Bit of a pointless experiment IMO. You'd be better off turning on lte to see how it is. The problem is that Verizon has a very solid network while T mobile doesn't quite compare in coverage and building penetration.

But speeds are generally either more than good, if not borderline great when signal is strong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I can see what you mean but if all else fails if switching you will see how much of an improvement HSPA+ speeds are :)

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The internet can go only so fast in real world applications. My home internet when you test it on speedtest.net is a solid 21mbps. Thats generally what a lot of hspa+ 42 users report getting on that benchmark if not more.

My home internet actually downloads files anywhere from 500kbps to 3mbps. I have never seen it download even from the fastest websites more than 3mbps. Websites I have seen 2-3mbps are Microsoft, Nvidia, and Steam.

Do I feel my home internet is slow? Hell no. It loads pages instantly. I play online video games without a hitch and any lag I can perceive. Big games I have to download that are a few gigs big. Well I just let my internet run for a bit while I do something else.

My G2 speedtests around 5mbps download speed. When I download from google play I literally get anywhere from 200kbps to 1.5mbps, more than fine for me since I download updates to my apps a few secs each.
So ya benchmarks like speedtest.net are nice and all but it is not real world applicable.

EXACTLY! that's why I'm stressing to use it in real world application and I am almost certain that T-Mobiles data will be faster.

- - - Updated - - -

I would probably have difficulty with this experiment, since even connecting to my home wifi (which is slower than lte) seems painful. I really want a n4, but I don't think I can go back to slower speeds.
I feel like it is (very) unlikely, but there are rumors floating around about a verizon n4.

Well then good luck to you and whichever device you end up going with. :)

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can see what you mean but if all else fails if switching you will see how much of an improvement HSPA+ speeds are :)

I suppose that is true.

If you want to be rly impressed with T-Mo speeds, try out Sprint 3G for a month. Even T-Mo 2G will be a huge improvement. :D

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
On my network, I don't need to worry about lte so I am safe, however my mates who have it just show it as a gimic because basically in Aus we don't get enough data to optimise it and its for plans only

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc