Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.

If expandable memory via SD card is a high priority for you, there are devices available.

The beauty of Android - you have options.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Yep. With the price of this phone and the specs it had we should be knocking on Mr.duartes door and kissing his feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why so many of you are treating the OP like a fool. Personally I'll never own a Nexus and I'm fine with that due to no sd cards. For many off us, external storage is not a thing of the past and anyone who believes cloud storage should be ones only option should really be speaking for themselves.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why so many of you are treating the OP like a fool. Personally I'll never own a Nexus and I'm fine with that due to no sd cards. For many off us, external storage is not a thing of the past and anyone who believes cloud storage should be ones only option should really be speaking for themselves.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

No SD card isn't the only option though.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This thread is waaaaaaay out of hand. Wow. I am surprised that everyone is jumping down the OP's throat on this. Lighten up people. He can wish it had an SD card. He may not get it, but some of the comments are just downright nasty. I think I would be a bit testy in response too.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

msgnyc

May 23, 2010
Visit site
No SD card isn't the only option though.

It is if you want stock Android not molested by carriers. I don't know why people are arguing. If you don't have need for expandable storage, don't put a card in the slot. Many people would like the option of adding more storage. Android is about options right?

I don't know about you but if i had a 64gb of internal storage, backing it all up before selling it or god forbid losing it all if the device is damaged would kind of suck since it could've been a simple matter of removing the card and putting it into your new phone.

Cloud storage is all fine and dandy, but as carriers continue to move away from unlimited data and throttling those grandfathered in, being pushed to cloud storage grows less and less desirable IMO.

Hurricane Sandy did a lot of damage out here, but another thing it did was reaffirm my detest for Google and OEMS moving away from expandable storage and forcing the cloud on us. Lot of good the cloud does when theirs no data connection. Its so simple to add an SD card and swap cards. Its just as easy as not using it if you don't want to.

I love how Google ass kissers talk like taking away expandable storage is a good thing and preach that if you want it go else where, Its Android, there are other options. What good are those options when you praise Google for taking them away? Everyone used to laugh at Apple because they had no expandable memory and no removable memory while Android did. Now those same people praise Google for taking away expandable memory and removable batteries...... Why? Because some guy at Google says SD cards are too complicated o_O? Like we haven't been using SD cards long before the existence of Android.... He just called us all stupid and your eatting it up......

/sorry end rant.
I just get a little irritated when people keep talking about its Android! Its about options blah blah blah as they praise Google for taking those same options away. If you don't care to use and sd card then don't put one in the slot. How does adding a slot for those that want to use it effect you in any way aside from giving you an option after you realize "ohh, maybe 8gb of storage wasnt enough after all..."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It is if you want stock Android not molested by carriers. I don't know why people are arguing. If you don't have need for expandable storage, don't put a card in the slot. Many people would like the option of adding more storage. Android is about options right?

I don't know about you but if i had a 64gb of internal storage, backing it all up before selling it or god forbid losing it all if the device is damaged would kind of suck since it could've been a simple matter of removing the card and putting it into your new phone.

Cloud storage is all fine and dandy, but as carriers continue to move away from unlimited data and throttling those grandfathered in, being pushed to cloud storage grows less and less desirable IMO.

Hurricane Sandy did a lot of damage out here, but another thing it did was reaffirm my detest for Google and OEMS moving away from expandable storage and forcing the cloud on us. Lot of good the cloud does when theirs no data connection. Its so simple to add an SD card and swap cards. Its just as easy as not using it if you don't want to.

I love how Google ass kissers talk like taking away expandable storage is a good thing and preach that if you want it go else where, Its Android, there are other options. What good are those options when you praise Google for taking them away? Everyone used to laugh at Apple because they had no expandable memory and no removable memory while Android did. Now those same people praise Google for taking away expandable memory and removable batteries...... Why? Because some guy at Google says SD cards are too complicated o_O? Like we haven't been using SD cards long before the existence of Android.... He just called us all stupid and your eatting it up......

/sorry end rant.
I just get a little irritated when people keep talking about its Android! Its about options blah blah blah as they praise Google for taking those same options away. If you don't care to use and sd card then don't put one in the slot. How does adding a slot for those that want to use it effect you in any way aside from giving you an option after you realize "ohh, maybe 8gb of storage wasnt enough after all..."

This still applies:

If expandable memory via SD card is a high priority for you, there are devices available.

The beauty of Android - you have options.

Speak with your wallet but know there will never be the absolute perfect phone.

If Google doesn't want to have expandable memory on their Nexus devices, no one is forcing you to buy their Nexus devices.

Don't like it? Take your business elsewhere.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hurricane Sandy did a lot of damage out here, but another thing it did was reaffirm my detest for Google and OEMS moving away from expandable storage and forcing the cloud on us. Lot of good the cloud does when theirs no data connection. Its so simple to add an SD card and swap cards. Its just as easy as not using it if you don't want to."

so serious question. What is it you need to have when you in the middle of a/shortly after a hurricane and there is no data connection?

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just hoping for a hidden microSD slot somewhere underneath hidden under some black tape. :-\ There does appear there is a microSD slot for the AT&T version of the LG Optimus G and if perhaps the Nexus 4 has the same system board as this LG Optimus G, it may have one hidden under some black tape........I am totally clueless though.

I am using specs that are on phonearena.com

Even if all of the LG Optimus G and Nexus 4 phones are using same system board, some chips or parts may have either been added or omitted for different phones, so even if there is not microSD slot, maybe one can even be added?

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just set up my own cloud server yesterday for $200. I have 1TB available to me now from anywhere for free. It is expandable to around 6gb. I can drag files to the HD from my computer or mobile device. This is fantastic and a great option for anyone wanting a permanent cloud storage solution. It was super easy to do. I streamed video and music and have access to all my work files and photos at anytime.

I watched this video and it worked like a charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopyTVucD-I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
i believe the choice to use one should be up to us.

I think the problem lies there. You do have the choice to use an SD card for something that is capable of using one, but you don't choose what a product does, or does not, have. To think that you have the right to shows that you feel entitled to the product. It is not yours; it is not meant for you, or any one person. You do not own the company, or majority of shares of the company. You do not run the company. You shouldn't feel like you have the obligation to decide these things for someone else. It is Google's choice to have the product they want.

If you don't like it, then don't get it, or, frankly, deal with it. You already said you were planning to get it, so you should take it for what it is. If you feel the need to make a petition to get what you want, then you probably will never be completely satisfied, because you can't enjoy it for what it is, and look past it's mishaps. If you find the Nexus 4 unusable, the GS3 is still a great phone.

This isn't directed entirely at you, but to anyone who believes that.

Last edited:

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Why would you ask this irrelevant question?
how is this irrelevant. he said it and im asking a question about it. you got you panties in a wad b/c alot of people disagree with you and know your just acting out. you need to chill bro. why did you post on a forum if you couldn't handle people discussing your post. You need to grow up and realize that everyone in the world isnt going to agree with your views and if you act like a dick every time it happens your gonna have a sad life.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
how is this irrelevant. he said it and im asking a question about it. you got you panties in a wad b/c alot of people disagree with you and know your just acting out. you need to chill bro. why did you post on a forum if you couldn't handle people discussing your post. You need to grow up and realize that everyone in the world isnt going to agree with your views and if you act like a dick every time it happens your gonna have a sad life.

LOL, looks like the one w/ their panties in a wad is you. So tell me how that question is relevant if you believe it is. Nobody seems to want to answer it.

There are plenty that also agree with me. There are over 50 sigs last i looked which was a while ago.

I dont need to chill, im fine Bro. You however seem to be losing it. And there you go using that "everyone in the world" phrase again. Listen Broseph...not everyone in the world is in this forum so maybe you should stop using that phrase. No need to be dramatic.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem lies there. You do have the choice to use an SD card for something that is capable of using one, but you don't choose what a product does, or does not, have. To think that you have the right to shows that you feel entitled to the product. It is not yours; it is not meant for you, or any one person. You do not own the company, or majority of shares of the company. You do not run the company. You shouldn't feel like you have the obligation to decide these things for someone else. It is Google's choice to have the product they want.

If you don't like it, than don't get it, or, frankly, deal with it. You already said you were planning to get it, so you should take it for what it is. If you feel the need to make a petition to get what you want, then you probably will never be completely satisfied, because you can't enjoy it for what it is, and look past it's mishaps. If you find the Nexus 4 unusable, the GS3 is still a great phone.

This isn't directed entirely at you, but to anyone who believes that.

OK, i get ya. All im trying to show is many people like having the option to put in more space if given the option. They did it with the first Nexus so they can do it again. They again put this phone in the Playstore which they did with only the first one and imo that isnt a good move to get exposure for it since they want it to be in the mainstream (per various websites) but they did it again anyways so who knows, maybe they will put a microSD card in the next one...or at least give us a bigger option like 32GB. 8 GB is just to small for todays devices and the price for 16GB memory is dirt cheap.

MunkinDrunky

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Let's all make a petition to Samsung so it comes with vanilla android.

why would anyone? we can change that ourselves-we have custom roms. we cant change a "no sd card slot" to physical expandable memory.

This still applies:

Speak with your wallet but know there will never be the absolute perfect phone.

If Google doesn't want to have expandable memory on their Nexus devices, no one is forcing you to buy their Nexus devices.

Don't like it? Take your business elsewhere.

The best thing we can do as consumers is just that.

This more than just a nexus thing. More android phone are moving to no sd card slots, I think the nexus, lg optimus g and the droid incredible DNA (or whatever it is now). These are awesome phones and i just wont be considering any of them. I have a limited data plan, so i have a large sd card basically just for music and pictures.

If google has started a trend toward no expandable memory for any phone...well that would suck. I don't think that will happen. Google's reasons are good an make a lot of sense, but not the option for me. Seems like Rayzaa is just petitioning to get his voice heard by Google. An awful lot of people hear apparently didn't like that- i don't understand why the hostility?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox