Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I never run into issues with storage. If you sit down with your new phone an load 12GB of music onto it right off the bat, perhaps you should have thought a little more about your purchase. A user-accessible 13.3 or so GB should be plenty for most people. How much stuff are you actually saving that you need? We can all agree that more is better, but really guys, 16GB is PLENTY. Taking photos and videos, loading a few albums onto it, and downloading Reddit and Twitter is all I need for my personal use. If you need more, I'm sorry to say that you need to get a different phone or re-think you "needs" or habits. I can sit at work and stream Google Music or YouTube, all while connected to a magical wireless network called "WiFi."

SD cards make for confusing storage locations, and they truly are a thing of the past.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
so serious question. What is it you need to have when you in the middle of a/shortly after a hurricane and there is no data connection?

Wow! Were you trying to be funny or do you not realize the devastation those who survived went thru?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I never run into issues with storage. If you sit down with your new phone an load 12GB of music onto it right off the bat, perhaps you should have thought a little more about your purchase. A user-accessible 13.3 or so GB should be plenty for most people. How much stuff are you actually saving that you need? We can all agree that more is better, but really guys, 16GB is PLENTY. Taking photos and videos, loading a few albums onto it, and downloading Reddit and Twitter is all I need for my personal use. If you need more, I'm sorry to say that you need to get a different phone or re-think you "needs" or habits. I can sit at work and stream Google Music or YouTube, all while connected to a magical wireless network called "WiFi."

SD cards make for confusing storage locations, and they truly are a thing of the past.

For some insane reason people tend to think once they get something new they're supposed to cram their entire life onto the device
There is no way.....Just no way I would even want my entire music collection on my phone. Hell, there's not enough hours in the day to do all that listening.
Same with movies, I have 10 on my card but barely have time to make it thru 1 at any given time.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Were you trying to be funny or do you not realize the devastation those who survived went thru?

The original OP to this said, "Hurricane Sandy did a lot of damage out here, but another thing it did was reaffirm my detest for Google and OEMS moving away from expandable storage and forcing the cloud on us. Lot of good the cloud does when theirs no data connection. Its so simple to add an SD card and swap cards."

The OP complains about cloud storage when there's no data connection during a case such as Sandy, and supports having SD cards instead. The problem with this, that I believe emc was trying to convey, is that you would need a data connection to post on Facebook that you're alright, or maybe use Maps (if you haven't downloaded your area) to find where you should go, or find out what's going on, or something similar to that, and having an SD card will not magically let you post on Facebook, or do many of the things you likely would do in that situation, as they would demand a data connection.

A more accurate translation of emc's post would be similar to this: What would you have stored, that you would need during, or after, a hurricane? I doubt emc was really as insensitive as anyone might believe, and it really was just poor wording to a post that used an inappropriate example for his/her argument.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I get the idea of wanting an SD slot, I don't agree myself, though I would like big built in storage, like 32 or 64 GB. I guess I fall more into the "choose a device that has what you consider most important" school. Seems like Google doesn't wan't to do SD, which is fine. It's only one Android device out of many.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a TMobile dash back in 2006 that had a micro SD card not to mention Blackberry devices. Good riddance to micro sd cards on not only nexus devices but any other device that an OEM that chooses not to go this route.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

i live on the east coast, in PA, so while i personally didnt get hit bad i kinda have an idea what happen. i wasnt trying to be funny i was asking a question about somthing. idk why people are so sensitive. how am i making fun of anyone. he said he wanted an sd card b/c sandy took out his data connection. well maybe its me but first thing i do when the electric goes isnt worry how im gonna listen to music. i feel bad for all the people effected by sandy. and in know way was making light of the situation.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
The original OP to this said, "Hurricane Sandy did a lot of damage out here, but another thing it did was reaffirm my detest for Google and OEMS moving away from expandable storage and forcing the cloud on us. Lot of good the cloud does when theirs no data connection. Its so simple to add an SD card and swap cards."

The OP complains about cloud storage when there's no data connection during a case such as Sandy, and supports having SD cards instead. The problem with this, that I believe emc was trying to convey, is that you would need a data connection to post on Facebook that you're alright, or maybe use Maps (if you haven't downloaded your area) to find where you should go, or find out what's going on, or something similar to that, and having an SD card will not magically let you post on Facebook, or do many of the things you likely would do in that situation, as they would demand a data connection.

A more accurate translation of emc's post would be similar to this: What would you have stored, that you would need during, or after, a hurricane? I doubt emc was really as insensitive as anyone might believe, and it really was just poor wording to a post that used an inappropriate example for his/her argument.

Ah, thats a better explanation of emc's comment but one thing....the OP, which is me did not make that statement about the hurricane.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people want an LTE version of this phone and they aren't even getting this so I doubt Google cares at all about a petition. I've pretty much given up on the Nexus line until it matures more though. I just find the whole thing sad and even embarrassing for Google that only one phone comes out a year that can update directly and timely....and its one that they have to work with a manufacturer on. There has to be a way to fix this problem and I feel that this is what Google needs to work on. It's obvious that Google is still figuring the whole thing out. I agree with the original poster that its a big plus to have an SD slot. It isn't a deal breaker for me but I definitely used mine when I had it and yes I have all my music on Googles cloud and pics automatically upload to Google plus.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

I think the point is the fact that not everyone sits at work and has a magical wireless network called WiFi..lol. Not everyone has a desk job in a office with internet, you know this. Some people work in hospitals that have WiFi in certain areas and the structure of the building makes it hard to get signals.....some people work outdoors and are always on the go...some people drive trucks for a living etc etc. The reason why they aren't in the Nexus phones isn't because they don't feel people won't use them, it's a small step in the direction of not outshining the same manufacturers' other phones. I think this is why we see no SD card....mediocre camera....mediocre battery....non-removable battery....no LTE etc etc. But they did add a sparkly back for the "Twilight" lovers!

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
The reason why they aren't in the Nexus phones isn't because they don't feel people won't use them, it's a small step in the direction of not outshining the same manufacturers' other phones. I think this is why we see no SD card....mediocre camera....mediocre battery....non-removable battery....no LTE etc etc. But they did add a sparkly back for the "Twilight" lovers!

Wow, that's literally one of the most short-sided opinions I've read on here concerning the lack of LTE and a stupid sd card.

You see no SD card because it's not secure, you don't see a mediocre camera, its the same as the one x, you don't see a mediocre battery because it works better than most things out right now, no LTE is the carriers faults not Googles, a non removable battery was an odd choice, but one that most are going to nowadays. Google doesn't give a you know what about the makers other devices, they get what they want made by who they choose to make it.

edited so not to hurt Fish's feelings.

edited again as to make Fish feel warm and fuzzy and explain things that have already been explained.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You call that an explanation? I call that a cop out. Weak reason for not giving it something it has in the Optimus G which is pretty much the same phone. I know the device is a cheap price for an unlocked phone but they can keep the glass back and give me more functuality.

It helps if you know something about file systems. The implementations of multiple user partitions creates confusion in apps. The phone makers need to just build in more storage for users like you. Petition for that.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
How many Android phones are being activated daily? Good luck getting a number of signatures that will actually matter to the manufacturers. Maybe if you get a couple million...within a few days...for a few weeks in a row...

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's literally one of the dumbest comments I've read on here concerning the lack of LTE and a stupid sd card.

Well, so much for personal attacks on here, huh? Do you have anything intelligent to say or is your intellect restricted to calling something someone says as "dumb" and "stupid." Do us all a favor, mature a few years and come back to the conversation.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, so much for personal attacks on here, huh? Do you have anything intelligent to say or is your intellect restricted to calling something someone says as "dumb" and "stupid." Do us all a favor, mature a few years and come back to the conversation.

Last time I checked I never called anyone "dumb" or "stupid" (I guess reading comprehension isn't a priority for you) I stand by my comment, that was a very short-sided comment, I understand that it's one persons opinion, and you know what they say about those.....

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It helps if you know something about file systems. The implementations of multiple user partitions creates confusion in apps. The phone makers need to just build in more storage for users like you. Petition for that.

How it is confusing? You just have one extra directory to check, how confusing is that? I have really no idea why Google even saying something like that, in general all you just need to do is addive the directory roots, they could make special directory media if they lazy to filter sdcard directory from main root.

Even without partitions Android need to deal with directory mess, for example pictures landing in diffrent directories for each app makeing them. As in Linux (as well as any unix-like systems) partitions are transparent and visible as directories i don't see how this problem is diffrent from one that single partition Android need to deal with. For me or they are lazy or it's some PR BS :p

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Last time I checked I never called anyone "dumb" or "stupid" (I guess reading comprehension isn't a priority for you) I stand by my comment, that was a very dumb comment, I understand that it's one persons opinion, and you know what they say about those.....

I can see reading comprehension isn't your priority either because I didn't say you called ME dumb or stupid .... I said you called something someone said dumb or stupid. I'm not sure what upset you so about my comment...... are you a big TWILIGHT FAN or something?? Again, you need to grow up.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few people need to grow up here.

Quit bickering and stay on topic.

Anybody can start a petition, but arguing it's merits over and over again does nothing. Furthermore, I stand by my comment above. This REALLY needs to get popular to get the attention of the manufacturers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad