Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This will never happen if anything the petition should be for a 32gb or more. Sorry guys Google will never put SD storage again on a nexus

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Keep dreaming. I think this is has been no end of frustration for Google project managers, who see the Android OS maimed and Frankensteined by manufacturers with their launchers,utilities, replacements for stock apps (Email, Gallery, Contacts, Calendar), and baked in BS bloatware that carriers demand in the contract in order to buy & resell a model. The reason for the long delays isn't necessarily the new OS being compatible with hardware (for some models, it is), but that all that third party software has to be updated and tested, wihch is tragic because consumers didn't necessarily ask for that krufty BS.

I say "keep dreaming" because at the very, very least, carriers want their diagnostic software (e.g. CarrierIQ) installed to investigate QoS issues. And they want their proprietary dancing bologna like Visual Voicemail, My Account, etc. I don't think you'll ever see carriers saying, "Ok, never mind about our voice mail service, we'll just tell you how to set up Google Voice" or "You want account information? you'll have to install our apps first, we don't install that for you by default." I just don't see it happening.

And expecting Google to do the mad scientist laboratory work of making their phone work on CDMA and AT&T-LTE and VRZN-LTE and so on, is quite a fairy tale for me. That's the carriers' job to contract with Google to make a carrier-branded (read: compatible) phone for them. With HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Nokia, et al doing that, WHY would carriers bend over backward to work with Google and deliver a phone with less stuff on it, which most consumers (today) probably don't value.

This is the stalemate that the Nexus 4 on the Play store sabotages by selling direct to the customer. Making it so cheap (with corners cut and compromises made, naturally) is IMHO the real cherry bomb in the carriers' bathroom toilets. In this case, it's only the GSM carriers' game board they're overturning.

I'm quoting this just so it's here twice in a row.

I have no idea if this is all the truth. But I do know that the things I see and hear every day make me believe it's so. Google's not trying to compete with the Optimus G (for example) by making the Nexus 4. They are offering a lean alternative.

And I'm quoting it because Jerry did. And I also agree. :)

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
...I'm not sure if I agree totally on how the carriers are the ones that are hampering Nexus phones. I agree that Verizon is a royal pain but I have a feeling that many people would rather have a Nexus on Verizon that may get updates a bit later than the other Nexus phones rather than no Nexus at all. Speaking just for myself, I would rather get the update a month or two later than not have the option on Verizon at all. Google definitely has some challenges to overcome thats for sure. The biggest disappointment I have for Google is with the fact that there is only one pure Google phone. I don't care if it says Nexus on it or not, I just want an option on each carrier to have a pure Google experience and timely updates. But part of me feels that the carriers purposely do this to make people want to buy phones more frequently. If they hold the updates and your only option for an update is a new phone then they get another sale and a 2 year contract.

What I mean for the carriers is not the updates (though ChromeJob has a great argument about that), but for the cloud. You technically have more than 8 or 16 GB with the cloud, but you either A. Do not have unlimited data; B. Have unlimited, but get throttled; (and/or) C. Have widely varying ranges of reception, unless you live in specific areas

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I think this guy has a great idea with a Nexus certified program.
Nicely put. Those were the rumors I saw flying around on several sites, he just put it in a video, succinctly I'll admit.

Would this work for manufacturers? Selling AOSP handsets direct or through the Play store? I dunno. I think Google strikes a deal with a maker (in this case, in 2012, LG, for a big volume of custom hardware to put their software on), and negotiates a price to sell it at. Would 4-5-6 manufacturers all do the same thing, or would Google have the funds to quadruple the Nexus phone program? If the Nexus spec mandates, and this is still pure speculation, "no removeable media, BT 4.0, no radios for which we can't open source the drivers in AOSP,[1] NFC, a notification LED, no hardware buttons other than power and volume,[2], MicroUSB and SlimHDMIWhateverItsCalled,...." I can see manufacturers saying, "Well hell's bells Martha, that only leaves us a bigger camera, more internal storage, better speakers, pretty case, and no one's going to buy ours over someone elses just for that." Or would they... Am I missing something?

Of course, on topic,... since AOSP seems to be leaving out expandable storage, internal user storage is the critical feature here. A Sony or HTC Nexus phone with 64GB will certainly have immediate sales appeal. ;)

[1] And I understand this is the show stopper for VZ.
[2] Because additional buttons would require drivers? API calls? I dunno.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Nicely put. Those were the rumors I saw flying around on several sites, he just put it in a video, succinctly I'll admit.

Would this work for manufacturers? Selling AOSP handsets direct or through the Play store? I dunno. I think Google strikes a deal with a maker (in this case, in 2012, LG, for a big volume of custom hardware to put their software on), and negotiates a price to sell it at. Would 4-5-6 manufacturers all do the same thing, or would Google have the funds to quadruple the Nexus phone program? If the Nexus spec mandates, and this is still pure speculation, "no removeable media, BT 4.0, no radios for which we can't open source the drivers in AOSP,[1] NFC, a notification LED, no hardware buttons other than power and volume,[2], MicroUSB and SlimHDMIWhateverItsCalled,...." I can see manufacturers saying, "Well hell's bells Martha, that only leaves us a bigger camera, more internal storage, better speakers, pretty case, and no one's going to buy ours over someone elses just for that." Or would they... Am I missing something?

Of course, on topic,... since AOSP seems to be leaving out expandable storage, internal user storage is the critical feature here. A Sony or HTC Nexus phone with 64GB will certainly have immediate sales appeal. ;)

[1] And I understand this is the show stopper for VZ.
[2] Because additional buttons would require drivers? API calls? I dunno.

I think it would need to have some definite review before it could ever work, but I think that some manufacturers could even look at less than top end devices for the Nexus program. Phones like the S3 Mini HTC One S would run much faster as Nexus devices and could be positioned better in the market IMO.

I was speaking to a friend who works for Bell Mobility in Canada and he said that he didn't think the Nexus 4 would provide any real competition to regular handsets as Mr. and Mrs. Cell phone buyer just look at walking in the door picking up a cool new phone and buying a device for $100 or less. They are completely ignorant of the fact that a Nexus 4 would be cheaper at the end of the day. And buying it via the Google Play store is not an option for 90% of the market. So I'm not sure if it could work on a big scale. But even if manufacturers were to look at a similar situation to how LG did the Optimus and N4 they could still do enough things to change the phone without breaking the bank and still making the phone a unique Nexus device.

I still can't figure out why companies like Sony and LG have not released Pure Android phones already. Asus has barely any skinning on their tablets and are sending out updates almost as fast as Google is for Nexus devices. I am wondering if they will be releasing the PadPhone 2 in North America. It would be interesting to see how it would do if they just sold the phone on its own with the same limited skinning.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... I was speaking to a friend who works for Bell Mobility in Canada and he said that he didn't think the Nexus 4 would provide any real competition to regular handsets as Mr. and Mrs. Cell phone buyer just look at walking in the door picking up a cool new phone and buying a device for $100 or less. They are completely ignorant of the fact that a Nexus 4 would be cheaper at the end of the day.

Joker - It's all part of the plan - YouTube

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Keep dreaming. I think this has been no end of frustration for Google project managers, who see the Android OS maimed and Frankensteined by manufacturers with their launchers,utilities, replacements for stock apps (Email, Gallery, Contacts, Calendar), and baked in BS bloatware that carriers demand in the contract in order to buy & resell a model. The reason for the long delays isn't necessarily the new OS being compatible with hardware (for some models, it is), but that all that third party software has to be updated and tested, wihch is tragic because consumers didn't necessarily ask for that krufty BS.

I say "keep dreaming" because at the very, very least, carriers want their diagnostic software (e.g. CarrierIQ) installed to investigate QoS issues. And they want their proprietary dancing bologna like Visual Voicemail, My Account, etc. I don't think you'll ever see carriers saying, "Ok, never mind about our voice mail service, we'll just tell you how to set up Google Voice" or "You want account information? you'll have to install our apps first, we don't install that for you by default." I just don't see it happening.

And expecting Google to do the mad scientist laboratory work of making their phone work on CDMA and AT&T-LTE and VRZN-LTE and so on, is quite a fairy tale for me. That's the carriers' job to contract with Google to make a carrier-branded (read: compatible) phone for them. With HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Nokia, et al doing that, WHY would carriers bend over backward to work with Google and deliver a phone with less stuff on it, which most consumers (today) probably don't value.

This is the stalemate that the Nexus 4 on the Play store sabotages by selling direct to the customer. Making it so cheap (with corners cut and compromises made, naturally) is IMHO the real cherry bomb in the carriers' bathroom toilets. In this case, it's only the GSM carriers' game board they're overturning.

Apple did it. No bloatware at all on iPhones....from any of the carriers. It can be done, the other phone makers just have to make it hapen. Samsung should be next up to tell carriers to nix the bloatware with how many Galaxy phones they are selling now. Samsung is the one getting the bad rap for slow updates when it is the carriers fault. The should have some power to fix that now...just like they didnt make every carrier here a different phone on the GS3 like they did before on the other Galaxy phones.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Carriers should customize Android phones, says Google Ventures exec - FierceMobileContent

Readers Digest version - there's no benefit to handset makers all releasing the same version of Android, they should be competing by offering innovative products that differentiate themselves from their competition.

I like what Samsung has started doing with the Note 2 and S pen but I am not a fan when so many things are hard coded into the phone. I'm okay with manufacturers going crazy on a device to customize it, just let us clean out what we don't like and have the option of going back to stock. This is no different than with the PC market. They add their crap but at least I can remove it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Thank $DIETY that in ICS you can disable apps so the T-Mobile bloatware isn't apparent to me. Unfortunately ... HTC's tinkered with the e-mail client, VPN client, several other things, to the extent that a stock ICS phone can function 100% at work, but my HTC ICS phone (Amaze) is pretty well neutered in critical functions. That's not innovation, that's corruption and a big fat $FAIL IMHO. Hardware's great, but they've botched it with software "innovation."

I'll take stock AOSP, thankyouverymuch Mr. Miner. :-\

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
haha sorry about the insensitive post you guys. I was just trying to be funny but after re-reading my comment i just came off as an ass. my apologies!!

gbreeze

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

this isnt spam. I am an avid reader of this forum but mostly from using the App Pulse. I do have very limited posts in here but i am a huge Android fan and i own teh GS3 currently. I am planning on getting a Nexus 4 but like many , i am very frustrated by the lack of no MicroSD slot and them offering us limited space in them. It was suggested that i start a petition and send it to Google, so i did.
I for one LOVE having a MicroSD slot as it is where i store all my music and videos. No i do not like to stream those things as it takes a lot of data to do this and my data though called unlimited, is only unlimited to 2GB....which isnt unlimited at all and a BS thing to call it. So to keep costs down (i have 4 lines) i dont stream those things. I started this because there was an articlke that a Google quality control guy said the reason they dont have these in their Nexus line is because it was too confusing for the users which i think is a weak reason and i believe the choice to use one should be up to us.

Here is the link to the petition if you are interested. I do not have a website or a blog thought there is a blog included with this petiton. Id like to get it some looks if there are those who think it is a good idea. Hey who knows, maybe it will make it in a Android Central article.

Thanks for looking!

Petition Petition to get MicroSD slot in Nexus phones

Great idea, I totally agree that it is EFFIN BS that there is no option for this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech