Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gpatrick15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Default UPS Shipping??? Any Options???

I see if I order the Nexus 4 through the Play Store it will be 2 day UPS shipping, I do not like UPS at all, I have had many packages in my lifetime left at my front door without even a knock when I was or wasn't at home and I have even had a problem one time because either a neighbor either picked up packages at my front door or they were delivered to another door step (in apartment complex) and had to contact the seller and get another package redelivered, I don't think this is right for me...the buyer to go through this kind of hassle to be on the look out for my packages since I work all day and would prefer to have picked the package up at the UPS regional office, and I am pretty sure the seller didn't like having to do the paperwork and replace the item that was stolen.

Since many people here obviously use UPS, is there a way to specify the package to be delivered to the UPS regional office rather than taking to my apartment complex for anybody to sign for and possibly steal, even leaving at the main office in my apartment is not really an option, this is an expensive item to me and I don't want to go through all these problems again, very frustrating to see a delivery gone sour.

Are there any options that could make my package secure for delivery?

My question is also, if I were to buy the unlocked version from a T-Mobile store, will it be preloaded with T-Mobile apps or I must get from the Google Play Store if I want an un-tainted Nexus 4?

Default Re: UPS Shipping??? Any Options???

Ok I am Australian, So I am not sure about the T-Mobile apps, I know with generally with some android devices in Aus carriers preload it if its locked the unlocked, however I am pretty sure it wont have apps. Probably best to go with google. As for the delivery obviously I may have different services like TNT, DHL etc which we might share in common. I haven't had these problems but the fast is anybody can sign. What I do is, I have a PO Box, I get it delivered to there and the post master holds it till I pick it up rather then being stored at TNT's grounds etc. My post office guys are very trust worth, I sign it off personally and to prove its me (even though my family has had a box there for 20yrs even when the manager is there) they place a card in my box, i have to then give them the card then i sign.I know this might sound wrong, if you work in an office you could get it delivered to the front desk, then to your office or get them to hold it. I am sure your office will take care and there is Camera's to check if it does go missing. I hope you all the best with your nexus and hopefully its great because i want to order one too.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

I now live in a more reliable apartment complex than I have been in before, I am sure the 2 day UPS they will do here in the States will of course have to sign for the packages and it will probably be dropped off at the office, I have had a paper slip to pick up packages at the office left in the box from USPS but UPS has always been unreliable because they have basically enough time to drop package and go to the next delivery.

I am just hoping when I do order from the Play Store I will receive the tracking info and able to get online with the tracking info and input designated delivery options such as: if nobody is at home, such as no sign confirmation unless somebody is at home or drop off at regional office in our area, I don't mind driving the extra 20 minutes to pick up package the next day after I receive a paper slip on door or mailbox, rather than taking chance of them just dropping it off and somebody taking it.

The T-Mobile version not really an option, I hear it will be about $499 but that is just a couple of people saying that, so it not option at all to pick one up at their outlets at that price, so it will be the Play Store, I will just have to get it with wife's credit card and if it gets lost in the mail, I may be able to get a refund as well as having to go through the hassle of dealing with UPS and Google, but hopefully it works out ok.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

To avoid these very problems, I have all of my packages delivered to my job. Problem solved, for me at least.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Prodigy View Post
    I now live in a more reliable apartment complex than I have been in before, I am sure the 2 day UPS they will do here in the States will of course have to sign for the packages and it will probably be dropped off at the office, I have had a paper slip to pick up packages at the office left in the box from USPS but UPS has always been unreliable because they have basically enough time to drop package and go to the next delivery.

I am just hoping when I do order from the Play Store I will receive the tracking info and able to get online with the tracking info and input designated delivery options such as: if nobody is at home, such as no sign confirmation unless somebody is at home or drop off at regional office in our area, I don't mind driving the extra 20 minutes to pick up package the next day after I receive a paper slip on door or mailbox, rather than taking chance of them just dropping it off and somebody taking it.

The T-Mobile version not really an option, I hear it will be about $499 but that is just a couple of people saying that, so it not option at all to pick one up at their outlets at that price, so it will be the Play Store, I will just have to get it with wife's credit card and if it gets lost in the mail, I may be able to get a refund as well as having to go through the hassle of dealing with UPS and Google, but hopefully it works out ok.
    They will likely leave it at your door step. They did my GN anyway. Kinda funny that ST requiries a signature on a SIM card that they paid a penny to make but a $350 phone is fair game to just drop on somebodies door.

But on the UPS website there is an option to pick up at a location. Problem is I don't think its available for every delivery and it might take longer to process if it is available than it will to ship. But thats something to check out for sure.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

I can do it this way, UPS has a My UPS options, but you have to register for it, after registering you can put in a vacation option for 1 or 2 weeks and it will cost you $5 for every package from UPS for them to send your package to the nearest UPS Store of your choosing, I didn't want to go that route, I think when I finally get the tracking information their may be a way to re-route the delivery to the regional office and if there are no options for that I will try calling as well and if that is a fail I will sign up and re-route the package to the UPS Store close to me.

I am glad I have never had to deal with this in my country. IF you have a trust worthy neighbour who works from home, he or she could be a possibility also just to check on your house or to get theirs for a backup.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

UPS 2-day won't be good enough. I want OVERNIGHT on the 13th... LOL... can't wait!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Even if you had overnight shipping it still may be a week or longer.....look at how many people want this phone

You can call UPS and have them hold it at a UPS store. They do it for free (at least they do for me). Problem solved. Even if they charge a few $$ for the service, isn't that worth it to you to have your device held securely at a location?

My question is also, if I were to buy the unlocked version from a T-Mobile store, will it be preloaded with T-Mobile apps or I must get from the Google Play Store if I want an un-tainted Nexus 4?
    The T-Mobile "version" is the exact same as the Play Store one. Unlocked, no software changes.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

Even if you had overnight shipping it still may be a week or longer.....look at how many people want this phone
    Hard to make that kind of speculation based on anything. We don't know how many Nexus 4's Google has made or how many they will have available for the first wave of orders. Its also nearly impossible to gauge actual demand just by reading some forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Hard to make that kind of speculation based on anything. We don't know how many Nexus 4's Google has made or how many they will have available for the first wave of orders. Its also nearly impossible to gauge actual demand just by reading some forums.
    Agreed, like i will have to convince someone to buy it for me as I only have a savings (mastreocard)

I had a computer delived several years ago and the UPS driver said they left it at my door. I didn't get it and filed a complaint they sent the driver that delivered it out to take the complaint and the driver said that I would get a refund (which I got) and that he was going to have to pay for the computer. If more people would make a complaint when they didn't get it when it was supposidly left at the door then maybe they would stop doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    I had a computer delived several years ago and the UPS driver said they left it at my door. I didn't get it and filed a complaint they sent the driver that delivered it out to take the complaint and the driver said that I would get a refund (which I got) and that he was going to have to pay for the computer. If more people would make a complaint when they didn't get it when it was supposidly left at the door then maybe they would stop doing it.
    You can call and specifically ask to have them hold the package at a UPS location or ask them to not deliver without a signature.

I see if I order the Nexus 4 through the Play Store it will be 2 day UPS shipping, I do not like UPS at all, I have had many packages in my lifetime left at my front door without even a knock when I was or wasn't at home and I have even had a problem one time because either a neighbor either picked up packages at my front door or they were delivered to another door step (in apartment complex) and had to contact the seller and get another package redelivered, I don't think this is right for me...the buyer to go through this kind of hassle to be on the look out for my packages since I work all day and would prefer to have picked the package up at the UPS regional office, and I am pretty sure the seller didn't like having to do the paperwork and replace the item that was stolen.

Since many people here obviously use UPS, is there a way to specify the package to be delivered to the UPS regional office rather than taking to my apartment complex for anybody to sign for and possibly steal, even leaving at the main office in my apartment is not really an option, this is an expensive item to me and I don't want to go through all these problems again, very frustrating to see a delivery gone sour.

Having worked as a Driver Helper (i helped the driver of the package car deliver the packages), we were not required to knock on peoples' doors/ring doorbells unless the package(s) required a signature (valuable items), or if it required someone to answer the door who was above the drinking age (in my case, 21 was the legal age to be able to recieve these kinds of packages) to sign for the package(s) (e.g. alcoholic beverages), or if the package was in a high risk area that required someone to recieve it (usually because there had been thefts of the packages that had been delivered and the person who ordered it never got it because it was stolen. Other than that it was more of a courtesy for us to knock on the doors. I suggest you call the local branch to have them require whoever delivers the package make sure that you actually get the package before they leave, or if you aren't home and they deliver it, to not let them leave it outside your door and instead leave a notification that they came and could not get a hold of you. If you have any more questions ask them here and I might (not a guarantee) be able to help.

Motorola Photon 4G

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    UPS 2-day won't be good enough. I want OVERNIGHT on the 13th... LOL... can't wait!
    The ideal would be something like Amazon etc do for preordered games where they mail them out the day before the launch so they arrive on your doorstep on launch day.

Didn't Google do similar for the N7 launch? Vague memories of them starting to leak out a day or two before the official launch date.

Having said that, they've always said 'available to order from Nov 13th' so I'm not getting my hopes up.