Can the Nexus 4 run on basic 3G to save battery life?

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
My BlackBerry Bold 9700 has the option of running on 2G EDGE or on 3G. So when I need to save battery life I switch it to 2G. Will the Nexus 4 have the option of switching down to 3G to save battery life? Most of the time I'm connected to Wi-Fi so I won't need the HSPA+ most of the time anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe it will be able to run from 2G, 3G is possible but make sure data is disabled but you still wont save much juice like you would with 2G with of course data disabled. Data enabled on any speed is a battery drain because it is always on and 3G without data enabled is still edge which is a form of data.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Im on gingerbread (v. 2.3 android) and there is an option to click under the wireless and networks settings to use 2g networks only. So ya you can do that. You can also completely disable the data as well.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You can switch to 2G only. But often its tougher on battery than leaving it on HSPA+ if you're actively using the device, because it takes more power and the radio is connected longer to do each activity.

When you connect to Wifi, your mobile network is disconnected anyways, so don't worry about toggling to 2G when you're on Wifi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol