Samsung Galaxy S3 vs. Google Nexus 4

theriel

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I was just about to buy Samsung S3 outright when I heard about Nexus 4. So... back to square one.

If you were to make the choice now and money was not an issue, which one would you buy?

My brief thoughts on Nexus 4:
- built by LG
- no memory card (but 16GB should be plenty for me - I guess I could connect camera card via MHL USB)
- no removable battery
- BUT - software updates directly from Google
- better camera, processor, bluetooth, screen...

Some threads on this forum DO seem to suggest that Nexus 4 would be "upgrade" from S3...

Any thoughts/comments would be highly appreciated!

Best,
Theriel

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I was just about to buy Samsung S3 outright when I heard about Nexus 4. So... back to square one.

If you were to make the choice now and money was not an issue, which one would you buy?

My brief thoughts on Nexus 4:
- built by LG
- no memory card (but 16GB should be plenty for me - I guess I could connect camera card via MHL USB)
- no removable battery
- BUT - software updates directly from Google
- better camera, processor, bluetooth, screen...

Some threads on this forum DO seem to suggest that Nexus 4 would be "upgrade" from S3...

Any thoughts/comments would be highly appreciated!

Best,
Theriel

Absolutely the N4,

Faster cpu
Faster gpu (mali in sgs3 isn't that great)
2gb ram (international had 1gb, not sure of the version your looking at)
Better screen
Should be better battery
Stock android, latest first.

And yeah, much much less in price :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My S3 already sold! So it's an easy decision. Never cared for touchwiz, never cared for Samsung's ability to update their OS, never cared for their plastic touch, and their cheap look. Hands down this is a better buy in certain situations.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's a tough question Cap'n. If $ were no issue, the S3 and N4 stand toe to toe. Ultimately, for the nerds at least, the updates will probably push the N4 out ahead.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a S3 and i love it. First we dont know if the battery will be as good on the N4. I get good battery life on my GS3.

Advantage imo of the GS3:

My battery life is good but had to disable some bloatware to get it better which isnt a big deal but i hate the added bloatware.
MicroSD slot where i added 32GB for a total of 48GB
Removable battery where i can get a 3000 mAh battery if i want and have thought about that and it fits under the hood with no needed bigger cover (eBay)
Slightly bigger screen but not really an advantage since the difference is miniscule
Camera imo is good, no guarantee the N4 will be better
has 2GB of RAM
Built by Samsung

Disadvantages:

Untimely updates
AMOLED screen is almost unusable in sunlight
Some will say plastic build but for me it isnt a problem and i have two other back covers and a Otterbox case.
Doubt GS3 will get JB 4.2 after it gets 4.1 but who knows

LG advantages as i see them:

No bloatware
Faster and more updates
IPS screen you can see better in sunlight over the AMOLED and should be better overall
Slightly overall smaller device in height and width. For me, i like that
Has 2GB of RAM
Has wireless charging (i dont think that is a big deal but some do)

Disadvantages:

We dont know what kind of battery life we will get right now on the N4 because the software isnt final. Reviews arent good right now but the Optimus G does well and it is basically the same phone.
Dont like the nonremovable battery
Dont like not having a MicroSD slot with only 16GB being tops
Im skeptical about LG
Glass back i think will be more fragile

However.....im still going to get this phone but im going to wait for reviews with finished OS

If money was no issue and both costs the same, id probably get the GS3 but having faster updates and getting them first with the Nexus is a huge deal for me. I like the latest updates since Google is churning out better things all the time now and Samsung is just slow at this.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have no choice, money is a factor, I just ended a 2yr contract with T-Mobile and was paying $127 monthly, now I will be paying around $33 (including taxes) monthly to put $30 of credit on a T-Mobile prepaid plan, so I am saving roughly $94 monthly, but I need to be putting the extra money in savings, more money means I will be able to afford house one day.....or at least to help out on a down payment for a house one day and this is a good step in the right direction

And I like the fresh up to date specs, so for the money it has to be the N4, I could also look elsewhere for a phone, but it wouldn't be a Google.....:)

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I would just add that both these phones are so powerful that really you should just wait till you physically play around with both to choose the one that feels best to you. Most improvements over the S3 that the n4 is gonna have are really going to be high end technical changes and nothing seriously mind blowing.

If I were you id go with the nexus4 because those improvements in chip speed make a difference to ME, however I absolutely love the feel of my s3 so its very unlikely I regret my purchase decision any time soon. Pick what you think feels right :)

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Android Central Forums

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
We're all speculating about Nexus 4 as we haven't used it or even seen it first hand. I think what it comes down to is that if you're a kind of person who wants the maximum value out of your phone Nexus 4 is no brainer. However, in order to achieve the price point, Google must have made some "compromise". Sure, it's nothing too obvious and subtle, but there. If you're a kind of person who has to make sure there is no compromise, Note 2 would be the way to go.

At least, that's how I decided after spending agonizing 3 days comparing back and forth. Yeah, I have picked Note 2, the best, probably, not as good of value as Nexus 4, phone.

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ordering my N4 as soon as I can then my GS3 is off to flea-bay

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no choice, money is a factor, I just ended a 2yr contract with T-Mobile and was paying $127 monthly, now I will be paying around $33 (including taxes) monthly to put $30 of credit on a T-Mobile prepaid plan, so I am saving roughly $94 monthly, but I need to be putting the extra money in savings, more money means I will be able to afford house one day.....or at least to help out on a down payment for a house one day and this is a good step in the right direction

And I like the fresh up to date specs, so for the money it has to be the N4, I could also look elsewhere for a phone, but it wouldn't be a Google.....:)
In the same boat as you bud. Well I have enough savings but I cannot justify to myself spending more when I know after awhile it becomes a normal phone. I am probably half jew who spends too much randomly. Like right now i am way to young to buy a house but i guess the more i save now the better.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech