Google is on your side folks!

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Everything that gets complained about, I can't help but see as conscious decisions by Google to annoy and upset their customers.
BUT..... not so that they leave or buy other phones (honestly, how many Nexus phones does Google even sell anyways? The entire program is a flea's fart in the global smartphone market.)

Google wants you to get mad and make a stink..... with your current carriers. Why are they locking you in for multi-year contracts? Why is Verizon choosing to use proprietary technology that isn't compatible with any other carrier in the world, locking your phone to them. Why are carriers nickle and diming you on bandwith caps and throttling?

Google wants to show you that cloud storage CAN work..... if your carriers weren't blocking it's wider rollout. That your phone should be yours, and you should be able to switch carriers at will. That $115 for 2GB of data is a scam. That handset manufacturers are ripping you off by charging $700.

We're a small community in terms of total dollars spent, but we're vocal and we inform the media's debate on tech issues. We shouldn't be yelling at Google for not accommodating the bloodsucking carriers, but at those carriers for their restrictive business practices.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
(honestly, how many Nexus phones does Google even sell anyways? The entire program is a flea's fart in the global smartphone market.)
I would not Nexus line is small portion of mobile market but I feel international the Nexus line will become a big player. Eric Schmidt is promoting N7 with several international events and I sure he will do the same doe Nexus 4 and 10 as well. Google is moving on from US market and focusing on bigger and more accepting International market. Google is on your side "folks" and the emphasis on folks making up the US Market is not whole picture. We forget US doesn't lead charge in mobile industry and defiantly doesn't determine what Google chooses to do wit Nexus Line. To be more specific, the issue for people with Google is LTE which fail realise that LTE is a small market in terms of globally. Google will not appeal to such a small market(US) at the expense of larger market (International) for sake of demand for LTE in the US. LTE market right causes to many comprimises for Google:

Delayed Android Updates
Bloatware
Missing Nexus Features
Increased cost for LTE

These compromise go against Nexus program and ruin Google's "Pure Android" experience. Google will eventually bring LTE to the Nexus line when whole world can enjoy how Google intended.

No Bloatware
Android Updates straight from Google
"Pure Android" experience

All of this at a low price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The foundation of the entire thing can be surmised in comparing it to the European market Vs. the US market. The bulk of US smartphone users simply don't know any better, all that they know (and that carriers love) is that just like us, they are all addicted.

The Nexus 4 is instantly obvious to those who know, the difference is, it's enticing to those who don't and maybe even enough so to educate them on the wireless industry a bit.

This small but vocal community is what got the ball rolling on Android in the first place, telling - no, showing our friends and families how awesome it is.

The carriers are afraid that the same thing could happen if people get hip to the fact that prepaid service is by no means generic, and start to migrate to those companies.

Granted at that point, the big 4 can just jack up the cost of their back haul license and screw us again, but the more people that are informed the better.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The data was receive is way too low. If i actually used mine instead of wifi, it would be gone in 1 movie. Thanks Australian Carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That handset manufacturers are ripping you off by charging $700.

I'd just like to point out that Google (and Amazon) make their money elsewhere vs. pure hardware sales. Guys like HTC don't have a side business to subsidize the cost of their hardware. Sure the components to make a smartphone cost roughly $200 to $300. That doesn't cover the cost of assembly, the cost of packaging, the cost of shipping, the cost of marketing, and the cost of paying hardware and software engineers who spent their time developing and maintaining the product.