Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Default Re: Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    we are talking about Nexus here. a $30 plan will give you unlimited data..
    Yes, for the people that are on T-Mobile, or the tiny, mostly regional companies that still have unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    I feel 16GB is enough, I broke my hard-drive awhile ago and stopped downloading music. So my old phone had a 16GB only really used it for pics so i had plenty of room left. Well that is just for me i know a few mates which feel the need for all the music but I am not one of them. As for freeing I had a phone with about 256mb ram, they rarely froze, like VERY RARE... with a phone with 2GB ram, about 8x the ram my previous phone had, i think thats an even slimmer chance. The end of the day, if the costumer believes its a step back don't buy it... However I view its a step forward and I AM BUYING IT <3 Google.
    More RAM doesn't necessarily equal less freezes...

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    then 5 Gb is all it need for you. its not like they cut off internet after 5Gb. it will be throttled.
    Or, if you're on AT&T, for instance, you could end up with a bill larger than the national debt.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    But the last 3 haven't so wasn't it a little expected for this one to not have one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Since carriers have only started getting rid of unlimited data plans after the GNex came out, I would personally think Google would realize that people would have significantly less monthly data allowances now, and create phones with that fact in mind. But I guess they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    I disagree. The future is in the cloud. The reason why prices have gone up and gone into tiering is because there is more demand and it is harder to supply the bandwidth. Hopefully, when carriers begin to expand prices will go down again. Plus here is a very good point: many places are starting to provide wifi for their customers, residents, employees, etc. I honestly don't see why any place, be it a business or whatever, doesn't provide free wifi. Soon, almost everywhere you go will have wifi. Unless you drive yourself to work or spend lots of time in the wilderness or anywhere where there isnt wifi, you should be able to connect. Planes have wifi now... Soon we'll get wifi in subways, trains, buses. It might even be possible to get it in your car soon. The cloud is getting cheaper and there is a future there, however it isn't now and thats why I still think its still necessary to give us expandable storage or at the very least, bigger internal storage.
    The future, sure. But guess what? We're not in the future yet. You're not going to start developing applications for holographics TV's right now because they might exist in the future, so why would you develop phones with technology meant for "the future", when data is free and plentiful?

Personally, I very rarely have access to WiFi. At home, sure. At work, no, because it's not secure. People have been known to crack WPA-2 secured WiFi networks in less than a minute. While driving? Uh, nope. At the gym? Uh, nope. If you live in a place that deployed WiFi AP's all over, great for you. But not everyone is that lucky, and Google shouldn't be catering to the minority.
    Thanked by:
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

I have a 32 gb Verizon Nexus and a 16 gb Verizon SIII with a 16 gb sd card. The SIII is what made me realize I don't need all the storage I thought. I have over 120 apps loaded on the SIII. Samsung doesn't allow apps to sd. I have about 500 songs and a couple of movies. And I still have about half of my available storage ready to use. I delete the movies as I watch them and I take the apps off of my phone when I stop using them. I had a Motorola Razr and the removable battery became a non-issue. I soft bricked it a couple of times and was able to get into RSD mode, I was good to go. My only real concern was the lack of LTE but once I did some research on data speeds on AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA I figure I'll, at worse, get the speeds I get on my home wi-fi network.
    I am ordering my Nexus 4 in a week, I'm selling my SIII and the G Nex as well as discontinuing my Verizon account and I'm going strictly prepaid. Nexus 4 life!
    ConTejas likes this.

Wow! 200mb data plan??!! In this day and age?? I mean absolutely no disrespect to you and to each their own BUT c'mon now man!!! What is the point of having a SMARTPHONE if u dont use it with a data plan? Is like 90% of what smartphones can do totally depends on having an Internet connection. I mean if you have Wi-Fi access WHEREVER u go then I'd understand but I want to be able to use my phone EVERYWHERE I go and IMO ur not really taking advantage of your smartphone if you dont have a data plan that can support everything it can do.

What do u want a smartphone for? Just to play games? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jian9007 View Post
    I also use a 10000mAh external battery pack so non-removable battery also doesn't concern me. One week left and I'm so ready for the Nexus 4 to be here.
    How do you connect your 10000mAh external battery to your device?

Quote Originally Posted by sfreemanoh View Post
    People have been known to crack WPA-2 secured WiFi networks in less than a minute.
    There is no way someone can crack a WPA-2 secured WiFi network in a minute if you use an 8 digit pass phrase that includes upper & lower case letters, numbers and special characters.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by tjw0 View Post
    My reasoning for wanting an SD slot is not for additional storage, but rather an external memory that is protected from factory resets. I flash a lot of ROMS and I don't want to have to pull all of my backup off the cloud or have to plug into my computer every time I flash a ROM. If there were a way to partition the internal storage and protect it from being erased, then I would be fine with no external storage. Maybe that exists and I'm just an *****.

As for on screen buttons, I would be fine with them if the lower bezel was reduced. My S3 is almost identical in size to the GNex, but I have a bigger screen and the same size bezel. Its just that my bezel has buttons and I consequently have much more usable screen real estate.

As far as removable batteries, I have had phones in the past, namely the iPhone, freeze up and become unresponsive to the power button. I had an S3 ROM which made the screen turn off and the only way that I could get it back on was with a battery pull.

I love the idea of Nexus devices, but I don't think Google has developed the platform enough to make up for the shortcomings produced by these decisions.

I shall now retreat to a flame proof bunker... :beer:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    The Nexi communities are ALL about flashing roms. I've flashes dozens if not hundreds of roms and mods in the year I've had my LTE gnex. Flash them at all kinds of random remot places. Only ever used my laptop/pc for the 15mins it unlock/root it. Only time your internal sd card is wiped is when you unlock/root the first time, or if you relock it for some reason. Wiping data/factory reset doesn't wipe your sd card. Hence, it's highly suggested it's the first thing you do. If not, just move your "valuables" to your computer one time, unlock/root, and move them back. Done. I just keep one good nandroid on the "sd card" just in case and it takes up very little storage.

The beauty of software buttons is that they're software. I can make them nearly any shape, text, color, design, heighth, width, etc. you can think of. I can move then to the top, to the side, or completely remove them for your full screen ALL of the time and only appear when I hit the power button. Or just keep them in default manner and realize nearly every app you would like to take advantage of the full screen real estate already does. They disappear and only reapper when you hit the screen. Want 3 default buttons? Done. Want that search icon, too? Done. Want any other icon there? Done. Long press actions to do something else? Done. The advantages are abundant, my friend. Especially if you like tinkering.

I've never had to remove my battery after the SIM card. I do have 2 spare batteries I've bought for camping etc. Non removable battery doesn't bother me at all. Can just get USB power packs if need be. Same for extra storage if you really need it, but most people don't seem to understand "the cloud" is very usable even on limited data plans. It can just require a bit more managing. Download playlists, movies, etc. from the cloud, or upload pics etc, on WiFi only. Don't have WiFi? There has to be a free hotspot close to you or you live somewhere you need satellite phones (or Europe).

Lastly, you can't exactly compare a true AOSP device to something like a GS3. AOSP devices are optimized for the software. I'm a believer software > hardware. I would say this is why my 4.1.2 LTE gnex with all the leaked 4.2 goodies performs much better and more fluid in real world actions than my gf's stock GS3 and also better than my coworker's JB GS3 in the same manner DESPITE a soild hardware advantage of the GS3. He's also complained of differnet bugs on his rooted GS3. I've had none that I can remember on all the roms/mods (not that I'd flash something with known issues). Just something to note. I'm on a very cheap corportate/grandfathered unlimited data plan with VZW, so I'll be holding out on the Nexus 4, but I love what google has done and is doing with it. FU to the carriers, and very affordable. I'm excited to run the rest of the goodies that come in 4.2. Love what I have so far. Seeing as the N4 will be AOSP AND have beastly specs it's really going to be something to behold. At $350...I may get one just for the heck of it
    Last edited by ConTejas; 11-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    How do you connect your 10000mAh external battery to your device?
    Most use a standard charging port.

Yes, for the people that are on T-Mobile, or the tiny, mostly regional companies that still have unlimited data.

Since carriers have only started getting rid of unlimited data plans after the GNex came out, I would personally think Google would realize that people would have significantly less monthly data allowances now, and create phones with that fact in mind. But I guess they don't care.

Vote with your dollars, switch to a carrier that offers unlimited data if it means that much to you.
    Enough people do and the big boys will have to react - I'm convinced that's Google's play here.
    Andrew Martonik likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Completely agree with you here, but we need to be realistic too - 16GB of movies and music will take you through a lot of flights!
    I agree. It's partly the hassle of managing things to a big degree. I don't want to have to delete things just to fit a bunch of things. I am fine with it when I have an excessive amount of music or movies, but 32GB is still the sweet spot.

Don't get me wrong. I'm buying this phone because the positives still out weigh the negatives.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

All the reviews have been -- I presume -- early or pre-production models. When reviews start coming out of production, sold units (e.g. long term test drive reviews), then I'll believe their battery complaints.
    Good point. I can't imagine that the battery could be as bad as my SGS2 so I hope we can get some reasonable battery life without micro managing it all the time.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Doesn't rly seem odd to me to use a music streaming device as a music streamer and a phone as a phone. That said, you have plenty of options. You can either get T-Mo unlimited plan, deal with a 2000 ish music library, or get one of the many Android phones that have an SD card slot.
    Thats not the point. If all phones were created equally, we could just get a phone that offers microSD. However not all phones are like the nexus which is why we can't just get another android phone.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Thats not the point. If all phones were created equally, we could just get a phone that offers microSD. However not all phones are like the nexus which is why we can't just get another android phone.
    Actually, that is the point with Android. You have options. Weigh the pros and cons. Make your choice. This isn't an Apple one-size-fits-all world.

The Nexus isn't the end.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Looks to be about neutral to me, while they are offering some awesome stuff at awesome prices 99.9% of people don't know about the devices. It can be a step forward if they can market them well and get people to buy them for xmas.
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Thumbs down Re: Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

B A C K W A R D

I change phones frequently.

I lose all pictures when the phone has no expandable memory.

I dont use cloud storage, nor do I have any interest in using it.

The non removable battery means you are buying a new device if it gets wet.

B A C K W A R D
    Hebrews 13:8
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    blaze5 likes this.

Some good point in here as to why the missing features are missed and needed, wanted. Everybody doesn't have the same wants n needs. Post #77 is me almost to a tee.

After having a G Nex, I would take a non removable battery over no sd card if I had to choose. An SD card means its easy, quick for me to get up n running on a new phone. Custom ROMs...I hated that you had to back up everything. I never had to do that with phones with SD cards. Don't know if that's still the same. If it is...its a big turn off.

I dont think they are moving backwards...but sometimes going forward, change, getting rid of X feature/spec isnt necessarily the best thing. I actually miss my hard keys from my Droid X1. Playing games....its too easy to hit capacitive keys and on screen ones. And the on screen keys do take of screen space most up the time.

On my phone....my 16GB sd card ...I used up 11GB. 16GB is the absolute minimum IMO, and I havent even installed all the apps, games I used. I use Spotify and Google Music. Spotify...uses up alot of space. Goes back to we all dont use our phones the same. I barely use my camera, have no e-books or movies. Add those last 2 thing in...and 16GB becomes too small quick.
    Last edited by jroc; 11-07-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: left out words

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post

So you're incapable of copying photos to your computer, then copying them to the new device?

Also, you should really use Dropbox (or Google+, or Amazon) instant upload. It'll upload all of your photos when you're on Wifi. If you care that much about photos, you should know better than to trust just one storage medium as a backup.

If your phone gets wet, you're pretty SOL either way. I think it's pretty short-sighted to expect Google to engineer a phone with a removable battery just to increase the chances of recovering a device when its dropped in water. This is quite obviously something that isn't a regular use-case... Create a phone with a removable battery so you can get it wet? Doesn't make sense.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    So you're incapable of copying photos to your computer, then copying them to the new device?

Also, you should really use Dropbox (or Google+, or Amazon) instant upload. It'll upload all of your photos when you're on Wifi. If you care that much about photos, you should know better than to trust just one storage medium as a backup.

If your phone gets wet, you're pretty SOL either way. I think it's pretty short-sighted to expect Google to engineer a phone with a removable battery just to increase the chances of recovering a device when its dropped in water. This is quite obviously something that isn't a regular use-case... Create a phone with a removable battery so you can get it wet? Doesn't make sense.
    About the wet phone.....not necessarily.

I found a phone that was in the snow for at least a month or 2.. The battery was swelling and had to be thrown away. The phone....works fine tho.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Google took an huge step backward with the Nexus 4. They are making huge strides with their tablet development. I

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

B A C K W A R D

B A C K W A R D
    Well you can back things up to your computer but good point on the getting wet thing. Timing is everything on the toilet drop.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I understand what you are saying about the wet phone thing but if you had a phone that died because it shorted out you may have a different opinion. My daughter dropped her phone beside a pool. It hit the pool deck and the back and battery popped out right before it fell in the pool. It was totally submerged for a good while. I put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days and it's still going strong 4 months later. I'm glad this was a possibility. I saved $600 that day.

Android Evangelist
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Thumbs down Re: Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

1) Ok yes I could spend time transferring stuff, the point is I shouldnt have to do that, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

2) As I already posted, I dont use Dropbox etc nor should I have to, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

3) I have gotten several phones wet. Pull the battery immediately and put all of it in uncooked rice for a few days and they work fine.

What doesnt make sense is why Google has chosen to make the battery non removable and not include an expandable memory slot, thats what doesnt make sense.

Hebrews 13:8

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Vote with your dollars, switch to a carrier that offers unlimited data if it means that much to you.
    Enough people do and the big boys will have to react - I'm convinced that's Google's play here.
    Sure, if I wanted to go with a carrier that has sub-par coverage. I know people that use T-Mobile, and none of them even try to lie about the crappy coverage as compared to Verizon.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

1) Ok yes I could spend time transferring stuff, the point is I shouldnt have to do that, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

2) As I already posted, I dont use Dropbox etc nor should I have to, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

3) I have gotten several phones wet. Pull the battery immediately and put all of it in uncooked rice for a few days and they work fine.

What doesnt make sense is why Google has chosen to make the battery non removable and not include an expandable memory slot, thats what doesnt make sense.

Are you the same type of user that doesn't empty out the SD card on their digital camera?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Sure, if I wanted to go with a carrier that has sub-par coverage. I know people that use T-Mobile, and none of them even try to lie about the crappy coverage as compared to Verizon.
    [shrug] Life is about making compromises [/shrug]

Google is deffenitly moving forward. Producing an unlocked phone of great specs yet keeping it simple for the masses and making it customizable for the exprienced and with such a low price will force other phone makers and carriers to reconsider how their phones and services compare to the new kid on the block.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast