Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Like Tree43Likes

Default Re: Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

I seem to notice a lot of people require external storage (Don't care if they actually need it or just fancy it. Thats their opinion and if they are willing to spend for it why should I argue). I would have thought that google would have offered other variants (8/16/32/64) even if they are not allowing external cards.

A replaceable, if not removable, battery is mandatory to extend the life of the phone. The last two phones I had started having the battery die at around a year. The battery in the Nexus S wouldn't hold a charge for more then 3 hours before I replaced the battery.

On the topic of external storage, I prefer it since it lowers the price of the phone. The price difference between the 8 and 16 gb version of the Nexus 4 is ~$50, which is about the price of a 64gb micro sd card from Newegg. I don't need 64gb of space on my phone (right now, no way to know what I'll need next year). I'd rather manufacturers make small (16 gb, maybe 8) phones to keep the price down and then anyone who needs more space for music/videos can just get an SD card. This means that manufacturers don't have to make several different sizes of the same phone (16, 32 and 64 gb version of the GS3 for example) and the user doesn't have to hope the size they want is available in their area (64 gb version isn't available in the US, not all the stores even have the 32 gb version for sale). Also this means that if somehow you run out of room your phone doesn't need to be replaced (I'd rather buy a $50 sd card then a new phone for $600).

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    1) Ok yes I could spend time transferring stuff, the point is I shouldnt have to do that, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

2) As I already posted, I dont use Dropbox etc nor should I have to, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

3) I have gotten several phones wet. Pull the battery immediately and put all of it in uncooked rice for a few days and they work fine.

What doesnt make sense is why Google has chosen to make the battery non removable and not include an expandable memory slot, thats what doesnt make sense.

Its called life deal with it. For the price of the phone we got a lot better specs than anticipated. SD card slot hasn't been in a nexus since the N1 and Google explained why so i don't see why ppl are ing. Non removable battery makes for a better build quality. Ppl complained about the crappy build quality of the gnex now they fix that and ppl are still complaining. Be happy with what they are offering. The phone could be hell of a lot worse but it couldn't be that much better for the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

1) Ok yes I could spend time transferring stuff, the point is I shouldnt have to do that, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

2) As I already posted, I dont use Dropbox etc nor should I have to, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

3) I have gotten several phones wet. Pull the battery immediately and put all of it in uncooked rice for a few days and they work fine.

What doesnt make sense is why Google has chosen to make the battery non removable and not include an expandable memory slot, thats what doesnt make sense.

There is a performace aspect to not having an external sd card and there are also advantages of having a fixed battery. So, yes, it does makes sense. It just doesn't make it a good phone for you and others like you. Sorry?
    Andrew Martonik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Google is deffenitly moving forward. Producing an unlocked phone of great specs yet keeping it simple for the masses and making it customizable for the exprienced and with such a low price will force other phone makers and carriers to reconsider how their phones and services compare to the new kid on the block.
    No, because although the specs are great and almost everything you said is true. Phone makers won't feel pressured by the Nexus 4 because Google doesn't have the advertising that Apple or Samsung has. Probably less than 1% of all cell phone users even know about this phone..

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    No, because although the specs are great and almost everything you said is true. Phone makers won't feel pressured by the Nexus 4 because Google doesn't have the advertising that Apple or Samsung has. Probably less than 1% of all cell phone users even know about this phone..
    While I agree with your point regarding this phone being targeted for developers and tech geeks, as it's a Nexus, you do realize that Google is an advertising company, right? Apparently not. Google is perhaps THEE advertising company. It has the resources to market its devices however it chooses. Also, seeing as there was dozens of pages on slick deals already regarding the Nexus 4 (last I checked) this phone is going to kill it in budget/deal hunter population. Just as the Nexus 7 did. I think Google's on to something here.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    People will know about it now. This phone will be the talk of the town for anyone wanting a low cost option. I live in Canada and we are stuck on 3 year contracts. My daughters both have old phones that are on low cost data plans. But they want newer phones. I have been dreading the day I have to go pay $150+ for their new phone then pay at least $50 /mo. each for their plans. This new Nexus 4 changes everything. I can buy this phone out right and get it onto any cheaper carrier with the best deal. Heck I can buy 2 N4's and still save money.

Google is marketing with our wallets and people are taking notice in a huge way.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

I can't resist....

B A C K W A R D

I change phones frequently....
    So change is something you're probably accustomed to and comfortable with...?
    ...I lose all pictures when the phone has no expandable memory....
    Set to auto-upload to Picasa or Google+ or something. "Problem" solved: no lost photos. (This seems a non-issue to me. You won't "lose" all your pictures just because you don't have removeable memory installed.)
    ... I dont use cloud storage, nor do I have any interest in using it...
    Drive is much improved from a year ago, is super easy to use on Android and Chrome browser on desktop. There's no charge (as with Dropbox IIRC) for marking files and folders for offline access. Drive is built-in to Android IIRC.

Welcome to Today. Cloud is easy and useful.
    ... The non removable battery means you are buying a new device if it gets wet.
    I'm guessing you're buying a whole new device if it gets sufficiently wet. But you change phones frequently, so you're buying a new device anyway.

And how often do you get your phone wet?? Shower with your smartphone much?
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

are you serious? Nexus 4/7/10. This is the Nexus era.

My external battery has 2 USB slots to plug into to charge 2 devices. So you can use the charging cable that came with your phone (as most have the micro-USB to USB cable) and you're good to go. It also comes with a cable that has USB on one end and several adapters on the other end to fit pretty much any device if you don't want to use your normal charging cable. Love it. Mine is the Anker Astro 3, in case you were wondering (it's $59.99 on Amazon and it's worth it).

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

SD card - dont use it.

Extra battery - Not needs

Physical buttons - Nope.

32 GB of storage - nope again (I am a cloud guy all the way)

LTE battery draining that is not needs. Verizon is also tooooooo expesnive.

I pay $50 a month for unlimited all and I can change my phone when I want. 7-8mb in NYC with probabyl double that wiht HSPA+.....This phone was made for me....
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345