Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
we are talking about Nexus here. a $30 plan will give you unlimited data.

If you're referring to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan, the data is actually soft-capped at 5 GB per month. If I have to stream from the cloud every time I want to listen to my music, or watch my videos, I'd go over that regularly.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Look, I have less data on mine, try less then 500mb.
I am not complaining so you shouldn't. Can everyone drop the criticism of the mobile.
Its ether your buying it or your not.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Nexus hasn't had an SD card slot for a while. On screen buttons are starting to happen on a lot of phones. And non removable battery makes for a much more quality feel. No problems with any of it. If they could put those things in there without raising the price that'd be great. But if those things raised the price I'd say hell no to all of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think of it as going backwards but not including Atleast an SD slot is bad imo

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think of it as going backwards but not including Atleast an SD slot is bad imo

But the last 3 haven't so wasn't it a little expected for this one to not have one?

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I'm wanting in the new nexus is Lte but panda hinted that Verizon may give the nexus another shot on his twitter. So I'm thinking we will see another VZW nexus early next year

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
But the last 3 haven't so wasn't it a little expected for this one to not have one?

Yea your right but it would have been a nice surprise either way It doesn't make it a bad phone just not usable for everyone

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a very good point. I totally forgot about that fee to microsoft. Makes sense but I'd be willing to pay that $15 plus the cost of making the slot for extra space for movies, pics, and music.

I agree. I am fine without both features as long as I have enough power and have enough storage. But the reality of it is that in certain situations you need more power and need more space. 16GB as the largest available size is in my opinion just too small in this day and age. The 8gb option shouldn't even be an option. The battery should be pretty good day to day but I think anyone who travels will miss not being able to swap their battery.

Also I truly believe one of the reasons the Sgs3 kicked HTC's butt in sales was because they included the removable battery and storage. It may not matter to a lot of people but it is still important to many users as this thread will attest. I know we can go get a sgs3 instead but we all want a nexus device too, so it's not so cut and dry.

If the N4 came with a 3000 mha battery and 64gb of storage I don't think we would be having this conversation.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Moving backwards - no.
However, would I like a removable battery - yes. My GNex lasts 6 hours at best so I always carry a second battery...and no I don't want an ugly extended battery.
So I really hope I can get a decent 12 hours out of the one Nexus 4 battery.

Other than that, I couldn't care less about SD storage - I'm getting the 16GB model so that's enough for me.

I wish they had LTE but hopefully Tmo in San Francisco will support the 42MB speeds & I understand them cutting LTE to keep the cost way down so I'm fine with that decision.

Would be nice though if they had a 399$ that included LTE & 32GB but that's likely just wishful thinking as that would probably all but eliminate the competition from other OEM's...and Google needs to keep them happy. Imagine that though *sigh*

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I am fine without both features as long as I have enough power and have enough storage. But the reality of it is that in certain situations you need more power and need more space. 16GB as the largest available size is in my opinion just too small in this day and age. The 8gb option shouldn't even be an option. The battery should be pretty good day to day but I think anyone who travels will miss not being able to swap their battery.

Also I truly believe one of the reasons the Sgs3 kicked HTC's butt in sales was because they included the removable battery and storage. It may not matter to a lot of people but it is still important to many users as this thread will attest. I know we can go get a sgs3 instead but we all want a nexus device too, so it's not so cut and dry.

If the N4 came with a 3000 mha battery and 64gb of storage I don't think we would be having this conversation.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Just because some of us may be able to live without these features on most days, it doesn't mean that it's a step forward to eliminate them. For example, I don't travel all the time, so I can probably live without being able to swap my battery most of the time, but it is always nice to have the option when I do need it.

I'm actually close to filling up my 16 GB GNex, so the lack of a 32 GB Nexus 4 is a real bummer.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
As for storage, there will always be those folks where there is never enough. I have a colleague that, no matter how much storage he has, it is full. I have over 6gb free on a 16gb device. Not sure what the norm is, but am guessing it is more like me than him.

Yeah a lot of us get used to what we have and we adapt. Your friend is adapting to his sizes and using all of it. I have a 16gb iphone and i have 9gb free but I dont have any music because I figured if i cant get all my music and videos on here why even put them on at all? So if i had expandable storage, I wouldn't have to live without my music and videos. I have 200mb of data so I try to limit my data usage and can't stream my content without wifi.

I don't think its backwards if they don't do expandable storage since they are pushing the future of "cloud" computing but its definitely not what consumers want.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah a lot of us get used to what we have and we adapt. Your friend is adapting to his sizes and using all of it. I have a 16gb iphone and i have 9gb free but I dont have any music because I figured if i cant get all my music and videos on here why even put them on at all? So if i had expandable storage, I wouldn't have to live without my music and videos. I have 200mb of data so I try to limit my data usage and can't stream my content without wifi.

I don't think its backwards if they don't do expandable storage since they are pushing the future of "cloud" computing but its definitely not what consumers want.

The future won't be cloud if the future of wireless data is tiered plans.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind losing expandable storage as long as the internal drive is large enough. I'm apathetic about on-screen navigation buttons; as long as they're implemented well it makes little difference. A removable battery is nice, but how much you need it depends upon how good the battery is in the first place. Really it all comes down to design decisions and usage case. Of course, some people won't buy a phone with or lacking certain features purely on principle.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. The future is in the cloud. The reason why prices have gone up and gone into tiering is because there is more demand and it is harder to supply the bandwidth. Hopefully, when carriers begin to expand prices will go down again. Plus here is a very good point: many places are starting to provide wifi for their customers, residents, employees, etc. I honestly don't see why any place, be it a business or whatever, doesn't provide free wifi. Soon, almost everywhere you go will have wifi. Unless you drive yourself to work or spend lots of time in the wilderness or anywhere where there isnt wifi, you should be able to connect. Planes have wifi now... Soon we'll get wifi in subways, trains, buses. It might even be possible to get it in your car soon. The cloud is getting cheaper and there is a future there, however it isn't now and thats why I still think its still necessary to give us expandable storage or at the very least, bigger internal storage.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

This is a transitional time, sooner or later data is going to become so cheap that while it might not be 'unlimited' the cost of each extra unit will be marginal.
All the costs to the provider are up front in setting up the system, if you use 3gb or 4gb or 100gb in a given month their expenses don't change. They might have to invest more to keep up with the demand, but the market will reward those who do and those who don't will go out of business.

Burleson90

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I may be confused but aren't you able to access "the cloud" using wifi? Yes I do get that it is a hassle considering it is your material but it is still doable. Wifi seems to be everywhere now. Also while AT&T and VZW have got rid of their unlimited data there are still several other companies that have it; both post and pre-paid.