Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I may be confused but aren't you able to access "the cloud" using wifi? Yes I do get that it is a hassle considering it is your material but it is still doable. Wifi seems to be everywhere now. Also while AT&T and VZW have got rid of their unlimited data there are still several other companies that have it; both post and pre-paid.

My point exactly but when on a run, no wifi, i'd like to have more storage. On my drive to school, no wifi. There are little times when i dont have wifi so id like more space.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I have to pay for WiFi on the road. Like $10 for 24 or $5 for a hour. Speeds are slow and unreliable. My vzw lte is fast and reliable. I'd more then gladly pay $500 for a vzw nexus4 or even more.
I may be confused but aren't you able to access "the cloud" using wifi? Yes I do get that it is a hassle considering it is your material but it is still doable. Wifi seems to be everywhere now. Also while AT&T and VZW have got rid of their unlimited data there are still several other companies that have it; both post and pre-paid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My point exactly but when on a run, no wifi, i'd like to have more storage. On my drive to school, no wifi. There are little times when i dont have wifi so id like more space.
Thick about future pricing, Data caps will be reduced it requires competition. Like in Australia we see ex-pats complain how expensive our internet is compared to the UK because lack competition. In some states they are trialling free wifi on public transport.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If you're referring to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan, the data is actually soft-capped at 5 GB per month. If I have to stream from the cloud every time I want to listen to my music, or watch my videos, I'd go over that regularly.
I don't understand why people don't just download ("store offline" ) the music they want to hear next while they're on Wifi. Or 4G ... it's not THAT much data.

The conceit that ALL your music has to be available to listen to (stream, retrieve, whatever) was promoted by none other than Apple. When they had a swankin' music player to sell. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why people don't just download ("store offline") the music they want to hear next while they're on Wifi. Or 4G ... it's not THAT much data.

The conceit that ALL your music has to be available to listen to (stream, retrieve, whatever) was promoted by none other than Apple. When they had a in' music player to sell. :rolleyes:
I find now i destroyed my hard drive its so how I find more enjoyable youtubing all the old songs and rediscovering them again. sounds silly i know.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Thick about future pricing, Data caps will be reduced it requires competition. Like in Australia we see ex-pats complain how expensive our internet is compared to the UK because lack competition. In some states they are trialling free wifi on public transport.

Pricing largely depends on competition and ease. If it gets easier to get the data bandwidth to people, itll get cheaper too

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I would have no problems with the nexus 4 if it came in 32gb at least. 16 is too small. For people who say the cloud is the future what happens when you don't have service. I live in NYC so I comute a lot and the cloud does not work all that well. Every time I take the subway I lose service and I could be underground for 30-1 hour. If I forgot dl the music before I got into the station I'm screwed. Also I just went through sandy and we got power with in 2 days but I had no cell service for over 4. My phone was useless because all my stuff was in the cloud. The cloud is cool but at least give us enough space to store our files just incase it doesn't work. Nexus devices should come in 16/32/64 if they are going to eliminate expandable storage

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Each previous nexus device has been a small incremental update. The nexus one had a 1ghz cpu and an amoled screen. The nexus s had a little bit bigger super amoled screen and a bit faster 1ghz cpu. The galaxy nexus had a HD super amoled screen and a dual core cpu. None of the sequels were actually noticably better or faster than the one before. They were all really good phones, but they weren't anything "amazing". It also seemed that they were always a generation behind in the specs department. The cpu's weren't cutting edge, the displays were of the lower quality of the spectrum, the cameras have always been complete crap. The designs were just clones of other devices on the market: The nexus one was the same design and form of a Droid Eris. The nexus S was a Galaxy S with a curved screen. The Galaxy nexus was a Galaxy S2. None of them were truly innovative designs that stood out in the crowd.

This brings me now to the Nexus 7... There was nothing on the market like it. Yes there were several 7" android tablets, but none that it shared any similarities with. The design is unique, minimalistic, and very durable. Also nothing could match the specs of it at the price it is. It was the first truly original nexus design, one that was pleasing and stands out against everything else in it's class.

Next up is the Nexus 10, once again it's design is completely unique to it's form factor. It isn't a clone of any other of Samsung's 10" tablets. It has curves that no other tablet has, it's made out of a material that is on no other tablet. It is a solid and sleek looking device. And lets not forget the absolutely phenomenal screen resolution on this device. Retina? Nope. It makes retina look like an SDTV. There is no equivalent to even compare its to. It's in a class of its own. Samsung and Google spared no expense in the spec department. The absolute first device sporting an ARM A-15 cpu, and it's Samsung's own Exynos design. This tablet is an absolute MONSTER. It is the fastest mobile device EVER. Nothing on the market in Android's corner or any of their competitors can even come close to the power of this tablet. This is really the first serious 10" tablet that can take the iPad head on and beat it in every category. Google did it's homework with this device and unleashed a MONSTER.

Finally, the Nexus 4. Sleek, beautiful, stunning, polished... Words that have never been used to explain the design of an LG phone... I didn't quite think that LG had the capability of creating a device worthy of the Nexus name, especially not a Nexus phone of this quality. I think they surprised the whole world with this one. Glass, beautiful glass. This is the most classy Android device ever put on the market. Not just the most classy phone, the most classy device, period. The HTC One X is a beautiful device, so is the Galaxy S3, but neither of these phones can even hold a candle to what LG has achieved in the design category. Did I mention how beautiful of a phone this is? This phone isn't just a step forward in the right direction... It is a leap, not a leap across a ditch, a leap from one continent to another continent over a humongous ocean. This device deserves the Nexus name more than any device before it. It had taken everything that was good in the previous nexus phones and polished every aspect. It took all the shortcomings of the previous nexus phones, chewed them up, spit them out, and flushed them down the toilet. This is the perfect phone. Once again, Google has unleashed another beast of a device. Housing the fastest, most cutting (bleeding) edge technology available, upgrading upon every previous spec in the past nexus phones, and giving it a layer of polish that is next to none. This phone will not soon be beaten. They nailed it this time. Every shortcoming of the Galaxy Nexus was addressed, modified, tweaked, improved upon and optimized.

I'm very proud of what Google has brought to the table this time around. They have been listening. They have been studying. They have been doing their homework. They have created devices this time around that aren't only competitive, but that have actually raised the bar so high that every single partner and competitor now has a LOT of catching up to do.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
You need access to ALL your music and EVERY movie you own on that 30 minute subway ride?

No but like him I lost power and cell service because of sandy so I couldn't access the cloud that's the point that is trying to be made its better to have SD cards or higher internal storage then rely on the cloud

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You need access to ALL your music and EVERY movie you own on that 30 minute subway ride?

I think he is just trying to say that with the limited space, some people need a little bit of extra space in some situations, along with the cloud. Not too hard to understand me thinks.

It's no different when you look at people who fly a lot. The cloud is useless on a plane. If everyone relied on the cloud we would all need to be carrying an iPod every time we got on a plane. It shouldn't be this way. A 32GB device would correct this. Especially when HTC and Apple are offering 64gb devices.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(1019781)

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Screw the cloud.

However. I only need 32 GB and that's all the space I ever need. I never use over 10gb on my phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

eric10234

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My reasoning for wanting an SD slot is not for additional storage, but rather an external memory that is protected from factory resets. I flash a lot of ROMS and I don't want to have to pull all of my backup off the cloud or have to plug into my computer every time I flash a ROM. If there were a way to partition the internal storage and protect it from being erased, then I would be fine with no external storage. Maybe that exists and I'm just an idiot.

As for on screen buttons, I would be fine with them if the lower bezel was reduced. My S3 is almost identical in size to the GNex, but I have a bigger screen and the same size bezel. Its just that my bezel has buttons and I consequently have much more usable screen real estate.

As far as removable batteries, I have had phones in the past, namely the iPhone, freeze up and become unresponsive to the power button. I had an S3 ROM which made the screen turn off and the only way that I could get it back on was with a battery pull.

I love the idea of Nexus devices, but I don't think Google has developed the platform enough to make up for the shortcomings produced by these decisions.

I shall now retreat to a flame proof bunker... :beer:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I've been flashing custom ROMs on my S2 for over a year now and have never erased any internal memory photos, videos or other files. I've done plenty factory reset and cache wipes and as far as I am aware, they only wipe the user data (apps, account settings, etc) without touching the user files such as downloaded files or photos taken with the camera. I may be wrong about how it behaves for other phones but that is how it has been for my S2.

I agree with you on the buttons though. They could have elongated the screen to accommodate the on screen buttons AND still leave 768x1280 viewing area. However, there's an expanded desktop mode feature in CyanogenMod ROMs which hides the on screen buttons and give you full viewing area. That should come in handy for when you want to have full viewing area.

As for ROMs making the phone totally unresponsive, I agree that it could well happen under some circumstance. But the thing to remember is that on a non-Nexus device, ROM developers are often time experimenting with unknowns and will lead to more possibility of crashes which render the whole device unresponsive. With a Nexus device, this should happen very much less.

Still, each person is allowed their own opinions. I've mostly made up my mind to get the Nexus 4 but the final barrier will be the release date and price in my country (no Google Play Store device availability).

15israellai

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I really don't like the idea of non-removable batteries. After all being able to swap the battery is better than not, unless they have a good justification. I love the virtual buttons (one of the reasons I got my GNex) as they're customisable and durable and stylish and rotatable, except that they can be disastrous on AMOLED screens.
My other gripes, though, include the back as fragile as an iPhone 4S and the storage. I support the idea of having no microSD slots, after learning Google's viewpoint, but 16GB is really barely sufficient for Titanium backups (if you want more than one backup) and CWMs. They should sell 32GB models like the VZW GNex.

wilara23

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
You may have a point with the physical buttons, but wireless carriers are moving away from unlimited data plans in favor of tiered plans. That makes cloud storage very unpractical.

T-Mobile and Sprint are still very much for unlimited data.
I never really cared for expandable storage and had no issues transitioning to the cloud.

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If you're referring to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan, the data is actually soft-capped at 5 GB per month. If I have to stream from the cloud every time I want to listen to my music, or watch my videos, I'd go over that regularly.

Buy a Nexus 4 straight from Google, then get on T-Mobile's Value plan for phone service. You can add the new non-capped unlimited data to any value plan for only $20.00. That's what I have and it's awesome.

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
As for moving forward or backward for Nexus? Forward without a doubt. Beats the Galaxy Nexus in pretty much all areas (except 16GB vs. 32GB but most GSM phones Google were recently selling only had 16GB). Storage for music is a non-issue for me. There is no phone (even one with microSD card slot) that can hold all my music (currently at 504GB) so it has no bearing on my phone purchase. I just store what I want to bring along on external storage. I also use a 10000mAh external battery pack so non-removable battery also doesn't concern me. One week left and I'm so ready for the Nexus 4 to be here.:D

PetiePal

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
People will vote one way or the other for MicroSD storage....

The reason *I* care about MicroSD storage is that despite the fact that I'm on grandfathered unlimited data on VZW, if I ever were to switch to another carrier (or if Verizon DOES end the unlimited at some point), I would NEED local storage because I'd have a data cap. Music, movies, all this stuff that they want to "live in the cloud" with Nexus devices...but if carrier don't give you unlimited access what's the point. And if they keep NOT releasing 32 or 64GB versions of phones in the US, then it really seals the deal.