Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Default Re: Bad battery life on nexus 4

I can lose 20% in an hour just playing around on the internet with all sync'ing turned off and the screen at 40ish%.

Quote Originally Posted by raysgrumpy View Post
    I also keep my screen at 100%. I saw somebody say that you shouldn't go above 20%. That is absolutely crazy to me.
    Interesting you said this. I have gradually nudged mine down *below* 20%. I was at first doing this to see how it would affect battery life, but, ironically, every time I made a reduction and then returned to the home screen (or went to read something on currents, for example) I kept mumbling the same thing to myself: Jesus that's still really bright. So I'd go down another notch and so on. At any rate this has left me wondering how, with my brightness set darn close to "0", this screen is still so exquisitely usable--even pleasant, at least to my eyes. When I set my iPhone 4S to a comparable level I can barely read *anything*...even indoors. I'm assuming it must have something to do with the backlight, which is independent of the brightness settings? Not sure cause what do I know about screen technology. But the upshot is I don't really feel as though I'm "losing out" by keeping the screen at 15%. It still seems rather attractive to me: and no, I'm not a masochist

Anyway, between a low screen brightness setting and juice defender plus, I've got my battery to give me about an hour and 10 minutes for every 10% of charge, and that's with moderate to heavy usage (that means surfing, streaming music, etc--not video, but with the screen awake *most* of the time for that hour and 10).

Haven't really tested standby time yet, cause I can't stop fiddling around with this ridiculous device lol.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post
    Interesting you said this. I have gradually nudged mine down *below* 20%. I was at first doing this to see how it would affect battery life, but, ironically, every time I made a reduction and then returned to the home screen (or went to read something on currents, for example) I kept mumbling the same thing to myself: Jesus that's still really bright. So I'd go down another notch and so on. At any rate this has left me wondering how, with my brightness set darn close to "0", this screen is still so exquisitely usable--even pleasant, at least to my eyes. When I set my iPhone 4S to a comparable level I can barely read *anything*...even indoors. I'm assuming it must have something to do with the backlight, which is independent of the brightness settings? Not sure cause what do I know about screen technology. But the upshot is I don't really feel as though I'm "losing out" by keeping the screen at 15%. It still seems rather attractive to me: and no, I'm not a masochist

Anyway, between a low screen brightness setting and juice defender plus, I've got my battery to give me about an hour and 10 minutes for every 10% of charge, and that's with moderate to heavy usage (that means surfing, streaming music, etc--not video, but with the screen awake *most* of the time for that hour and 10).

Haven't really tested standby time yet, cause I can't stop fiddling around with this ridiculous device lol.
    Are you practicing some kind of voodoo, because I think you've converted me?!? I have to admit that I had made my previous comments based on screen brightness of my past phones (Mytouch 4G and most recently HTC One s.) I was amazed how good this phone looks at a lower brightness. At 100%, the screen use would be 70-85% of the battery. Putting the screen at around 35-40 last night, I was perfectly fine with it and the battery didn't "plummet" like I'm used to. The fact that I also can't seem to put this thing down might be a factor as well!

i've found that the battery is quite good, as in make it through a day with pretty heavy use (streaming Spotify, lots of screen time, etc. -see my other posts for detailed battery info) unless you do one of two things:

a) set the screen brightness to 100%

b) navigation, even with screen brightness on auto, drains the battery pretty quickly. i can kill the battery by the end of the day if i've done about an hour of navigation.

I think the nexus 4 suffers from new phone syndrome. Give it a week, go back to normal usage than take a look at how long it lasts.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LNWJ View Post
    Over the weekend my phone usually sits idle and on my old NS4G I would get 2 days w/o a charge.

Today the phone sat idle with the screen off most of the day (as shown in the pic) but Android OS consumed a huge amount of battery. Not sure what is up with that. The only thing I have set to sync is Gmail/Contacts/Cal. The rest is manual pull.

Attachment 48198
    The same is happening for me - Android OS is the biggest drain.
    I downloaded CPU spy and it seems like the phone is idling at 384 MHz for hours instead of going into deep sleep. Something it keeping it from sleeping hence the bad battery life?

I'm seeing 12-17% drain per hour, depending if I'm using the phone or if it's sitting idle on wifi with screen off (~12%/hr). I did a hard reset with nothing but the stock apps running and screen at minimum brightness and no change. I'm debating sending the phone back as a defect and going back to my Galaxy Nexus in the meantime, which has 2-3x better battery performance in my experience. The screen off/idle fast drainage is what's most puzzling to me.

I'm trying to read through this thread and figure out what is normal for the Nexus 4. For me, I'm not able to hit 7 hours of light usage with the screen at minimum brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by tim1e View Post
    The same is happening for me - Android OS is the biggest drain.
    I downloaded CPU spy and it seems like the phone is idling at 384 MHz for hours instead of going into deep sleep. Something it keeping it from sleeping hence the bad battery life?
    I am having this exact issue. I have disabled google now as well as auto location update in maps, and some other stuff but no luck so far. Idle use is way lower when I am on wifi, but I still get massive time at 384 MHz which seems to be killing the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post

I installed juice defender to try it out. But now I can no longer connect to 3/4g even after uninstalling the app. Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    what i dont understand is iphone suck at battery life. all my iphone friends complain about it.
    but yet they are at the top. my nexus S battery last longer than my friends iPhone.
    Notice they left out the razor android phones

I went 13hrs total after this.
    Bad battery life on nexus 4-uploadfromtaptalk1354007596181.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I recommend GSam Battery Monitor. It has done wonders for me in terms of finding wakelocks or programs using far too much battery. Just to throw in on the battery life debate, so far my experience on the Nexus 4 has blown my Galaxy Nexus out of the water. When I used my Galaxy Nexus in my normal moderate to heavy usage, 50% of the battery usage would be screen and I had trouble making it through a day without charging my phone both on the way to work and when driving home.

I forgot my car charger today, took my phone off the charger at around 9am, it's now 11:40pm, and it still has 28% battery left. As mentioned I didn't charge it once all day, I used it to listen to bluetooth podcasts both on the way to and back from work, 30 or so min each way. I used it relatively heavily during the day, and even used Navigation on my drive home, with the screen on the whole time.

I had 1.5 hours total screen on time and it used 15% of my battery. I have Google Now fully enabled, and am even logged into Latitude. My battery record in GSam reflects that with maps using 13.4 percent of my App usage, mostly due to processes like "FriendService" etc. I'm sure if I disabled Latitude I would have even less drain.

Really, with the Nexus 4, as long as you don't have some errant process that's sucking down battery, I think it's been a pretty equivalent experience to my month of using an iPhone 5, which is a first for me for an Android phone. I also notice that when it's on WiFi, and on standby, the battery just doesn't drain. If I happen to not check it for 2 hours, it will be maybe 1 percent lower.

Hope that all helps you guys.
    Thanked by 2:

I've found that turning the screen down to about 10 percent brightness leaves it perfectly viewable in indoor lighting and saves a ton of battery life.

Thanked by:

I did a couple experiments this week, leaving the phone on overnight but killing various processes.

With WiFi and mobile data off, the phone lost 8% battery over 8 hours of now use, which seems pretty good. Even better, in airplane mode it lost only 1% overnight!

This tells me that there's nothing in the background causing problems. I'm going to go through my different apps now to see which ones are using more battery than they should, but I'm guessing the bright screen is the worst culprit.

ROM
    Stock

I've added an app called "Custom Auto Brightness" by Dmitry Matzuko (shows up in the app tray as "Screen Brightness") that runs as a background service, replacing the "auto brightness" provided by Android. It allows you to define your own heuristic brightness curve based on various ambient light levels, and adjust how often brightness is sampled and what kind of averaging to use.

I find it really useful for several reasons:

1. 4.1.1 of Android on my Nexus 7 introduced really annoying "flicker" on auto brightness. Basically, the thing was responding instantly to subtle brightness changes and meant the brightness was CONSTANTLY shifting up and down based on slight motions of the device. 4.1.2 made it a little better, and 4.2 made it bad again. By increasing the sample averaging time, the adjustments aren't so "Jack Russell Terrier".

2. My HTC Thunderbolt's built in AUTO setting is really annoying. It's ludicrously bright in a darkened room and uselessly dim outdoors on AUTO. By setting a dimmer light in the darkness and actually bringing it to 100% in daylight, I'm so much happier using my Thunderbolt.

3. I've been able to run all of my devices significantly dimmer than the manufacturer designed them for in their AUTO profiles under most circumstances, because most manufacturers want the screens to look bold and bright and beautiful. Since I can still run AUTO but a lot dimmer than stock settings (but still plenty bright enough for my use), I've seen dramatic increases in battery life with no loss of useability.

4. I'm a geek, and being able to doink around with heuristic curves is just fun.

Quote Originally Posted by clove#AC View Post
    I'm seeing 12-17% drain per hour, depending if I'm using the phone or if it's sitting idle on wifi with screen off (~12%/hr). I did a hard reset with nothing but the stock apps running and screen at minimum brightness and no change. I'm debating sending the phone back as a defect and going back to my Galaxy Nexus in the meantime, which has 2-3x better battery performance in my experience. The screen off/idle fast drainage is what's most puzzling to me.

I'm trying to read through this thread and figure out what is normal for the Nexus 4. For me, I'm not able to hit 7 hours of light usage with the screen at minimum brightness.
    This is precisely me. My phone is dead within 10 hours no matter what I do. The battery drains at a remarkable rate, and nothing I do stops it from doing so. I've even reset it, no luck.

Can either of you guys install GSam Battery Monitor, use it for a day, then post both the main battery usage screen and App usage? Even with stock apps sometimes Android can do weird things like Maps can randomly drain a lot of battery searching for your location due to latitude etc.

Mine has better battery life than my Evo 4G, but not nearly as good as the GSM Galaxy Nexus. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the recurring problem my phone seems to have with the screen randomly waking up. No idea why this keeps happening but I'm sure its killing the battery.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by darthus View Post
    Can either of you guys install GSam Battery Monitor, use it for a day, then post both the main battery usage screen and App usage? Even with stock apps sometimes Android can do weird things like Maps can randomly drain a lot of battery searching for your location due to latitude etc.
    I posted a ton of screens from GSam here: -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

This was after a worst-ever evening where it bled 90% in about 8 hours of just sitting there. Last night's result was to lose 35% in about 6 hours; still pathetic IMO. I'm used to losing 8-15% overnight (5-6 hours off charger), but this is pathetic. I had to use my GS2 when I went out in the morning because the N4 was starving for juice. Now that my GS2 was borked by a buggy GSam update last night, I'm down to just the Nexus and that's not good. Next step is to Airplane Mode it while sleeping, but what if I need to receive an emergency call? So lame.

What's puzzling is how most of the reviews, which were done with pre-final software, generally reported acceptable battery life, getting through the work day without a refill while a lot of us are seeing 6-8 hours which is simply unacceptable, especially since we have no option to swap in another battery, not that we should have to deal with that inconvenience.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    dentmac likes this.

Global Posts
    4,359 Global Posts

Maybe this is a software issue and Google hopefully will address ASAP. From personal use I get between 8 and 10 hours battery life with light to moderate use. After a full charge, it will drop to 94% after only a couple hours just sitting idle. My iPhone 5 takes about 6 hours to drop to 99% sitting idle with no use. There's defiantly room for improvement on Google's end as far as battery life.

I'm going to close this thread up, no need for 2 bad battery threads. Please continue discussion here: -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123