• 1 Post By Fairclough
  • 1 Post By Fairclough
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Default Can it be used as wifi only?

I got to thinking as my sons iPod touch is broken, can this be used in the same fashion as a wifi only device or does it need an active sim card to function?

Thanks

Default Re: Can it be used as wifi only?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    I got to thinking as my sons iPod touch is broken, can this be used in the same fashion as a wifi only device or does it need an active sim card to function?

Thanks
    Yes, But a waste of money.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Thanks
    yes, it can be done. you can use it just as a wifi device.

I don't think it's such a bad idea myself. $350 N4 16gb vs. $300 iPod Touch 5th gen 32gb. iPod is cheaper with more memory, but N4 would make a great wifi phone, has a better camera and bigger display, and you could always have the option to get a cheap pre-paid Tmobile SIM card to have some minutes to talk and use it as an actual phone. Mostly I think it depends on if you like Android vs. iOS and their respective app marketplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by dlsmd45 View Post
    I don't think it's such a bad idea myself. $350 N4 16gb vs. $300 iPod Touch 5th gen 32gb. iPod is cheaper with more memory, but N4 would make a great wifi phone, has a better camera and bigger display, and you could always have the option to get a cheap pre-paid Tmobile SIM card to have some minutes to talk and use it as an actual phone. Mostly I think it depends on if you like Android vs. iOS and their respective app marketplaces.
    Absolutely, if you don't consider a $300 iPod touch stupidly overpriced you are dead on. This would be the better buy.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Absolutely, if you don't consider a $300 iPod touch stupidly overpriced you are dead on. This would be the better buy.
    And if you wanted to use it strictly locally with WiFi available all the time, there's no reason to spend more for the Nexus 4. Get the 8GB for $300, same price as the iPod Touch, and call it a love story.

Why not go for the Nexus 7 or 8 for this?
    cnguyen0320 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Exactly. He won't mind having to carry it around and it'll have a bigger screen. Best for wifi only unless you want the phone capability...

Get either the Nexus tablet or the new iPod touch.
    both are better options in my opinion.
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This has a rear facing camera, a flash (doubles as a flashlight), a faster processor, twice as much RAM, smaller and more portable, an earpiece for Wi-Fi calls, and can be used as an actual phone any time in the future.

I think this is a good idea and even considered it myself. I have an iPhone 4 that I use like an iPod touch and I considered doing this myself. I really want a Nexus 4 but I'm on Verizon and have no intention of leaving.

Probably a teenage boy. We all know what they want out of a "ipod" thus bigger screen is better.
    Blendercloud likes this.

Thanks
    GSM = freedom. These phones don't lock you out if they aren't activated like some CDMA phones do.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a few reasons for asking. First reason is I have lots of apps for Android already vs. very few on iOS. Not a big deal as most apps are not that expensive.

Next is the now 300 price for the touch. While better than the previous version by far I can't see spending that much for one and the Samsung Android offerings leave much to be desired.

With the N4 I could get him a device with some amazing specs and in my opinion adds another function that the iPod doesn't by being a phone. Maybe a prepaid plan down the line.

I just didn't know if phones worked different for some reason and needed an active sim to work. Also gives me a way to check one of these out myself to see if I want to leave Sprint.

60% of the time it works every time!
    *Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a few reasons for asking. First reason is I have lots of apps for Android already vs. very few on iOS. Not a big deal as most apps are not that expensive.

Next is the now 300 price for the touch. While better than the previous version by far I can't see spending that much for one and the Samsung Android offerings leave much to be desired.

With the N4 I could get him a device with some amazing specs and in my opinion adds another function that the iPod doesn't by being a phone. Maybe a prepaid plan down the line.

I just didn't know if phones worked different for some reason and needed an active sim to work. Also gives me a way to check one of these out myself to see if I want to leave Sprint.

60% of the time it works every time!
    *Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*
    if you are planning to add prepaid down the line then def yes, Nexus 4 is best bet for you.
    and you would have figured it by now that Yes, it can be used as wifi only device.

Yeah good idea if his too young for a phone yet, but could use one in the future.
    If you do get worried about him, you can always download a tracker app into his phone mates did it to his girlfriends mum so they would know when she would be home. Might want to watch out for that.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

Yeah good idea if his too young for a phone yet, but could use one in the future.
    If you do get worried about him, you can always download a tracker app into his phone mates did it to his girlfriends mum so they would know when she would be home. Might want to watch out for that.
    Thats clever.

Motorola Photon 4G

Nexus 7 is a better choice just from a value proposition.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Nexus 7 is a better choice just from a value proposition.
    While I agree with you on this because it's $100 cheaper it doesn't offer an inexpensive phone plan down the road.

You guys for forgeting that Android have such devices too But they don't get as much of attention then iPod touch not to mention Android Phones (which is why you guys don't recomand it?). Samsung got there line called Galaxy Player, latest model in this line is Galaxy Player 5.8 which is based on Galaxy S3 (same as iPod Touch 4-gen is based on iPhone 5). Only down side specs are lower compeered to SIII (or even SII) where iPod touch 4-gen for example use extended CPU of iPhone 4S and have iPhone 5's new screen size, but Samsung got stereo speakers build in compired to iPoT.

If you dive in you might find other devices from other manufactures

Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post
    Thats clever.
    Thanks its the first smart thing he did all year.
    To the post above me, if his a runner or something a large phone could be a pain.

While I agree with you on this because it's $100 cheaper it doesn't offer an inexpensive phone plan down the road.

How far down the road? If it's more than a year or so, might as well just get the tablet now and buy a new phone then.

There are a lot of apps that allow texting and phone calls over WiFi. But how does user get a phone number without a SIM? Can you buy a SIM to get a phone number but then never activate it with the carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    yes, it can be done. you can use it just as a wifi device.
    Don't forget to switch ON airplane mode - it will save battery (turn W-Fi ON manually when needed).

Quote Originally Posted by susie798 View Post
    There are a lot of apps that allow texting and phone calls over WiFi. But how does user get a phone number without a SIM? Can you buy a SIM to get a phone number but then never activate it with the carrier?
    Use something like Pinger Text Free + Call Free. They supply a phone number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Nice thing about using a phone for this or getting a Touch is that camera. I love my Note 3 but find it bulky and awkward for photos. I much prefer using the Touch. I wouldn't ever consider an N7 or something even larger for that.

Of course most people probably don't carry a monster phone and so don't need a smaller device for that...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4