Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

Quote Originally Posted by sduda210 View Post
    I have been considering the 8 gig version because I use my nexus 7 for games and music. The nexus 4 would only have communication apps on it which aren't big at all. The lack of an SD card doesn't bother me at all either. I lost a bunch of new born pics of my daughter due to a SD card going bad. Since then I always backed my pics up to my computer and cloud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    100% agree x

I have a 16GB Nexus 7 so I'm thinking I can get away with a 8GB Nexus 4.

I'll be using the N4 primarily for calls, text, data tethering for my N 7 and taking photos whenever the mood strikes me so I don't need much space. Any photos and videos I take will be uploaded to the Cloud and deleted off my N4 fairly quickly. I'll have access to them with unlimited data or Wi-Fi. I don't carry my life around on my phones!

So 8 GB is looking better and better to me every passing day... We shall see...

Thanked by:
    gone down south likes this.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    $50 for double the storage is worth it, even if you have to budget hard and wait 2 extra weeks to get the phone.
    I agree and that's the reason why I paid the extra $50 on my Nexus 7, but I have nearly 12 GBs of storage still unused on my N7!

So I'm thinking it'll be a waste of $50 + tax of my very hard-earned cash to get a 16 GB Nexus 4...

Anyway, was thinking that for any reason I decided I want/need the extra space, within 15 days, I can return it, get a full refund and buy the 16GB one.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    Or upload whatever massive files you carry around on your phone to the cloud B-)
    Agreed the only reason for the low internal storage/no external storage is that Google is pushing cloud storage.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Thanked by:

To more directly answer the question: an 8GB device has 7.45GB of useable/logical storage space (8,000,000,000 bytes as advertised / 1024^3 actual logical bytes). I would imagine JB to take up anywhere from 1-1.5GB of storage space, leaving you with anywhere from 5.95GB to 6.45GB of actual storage space for your apps, photos, music, etc.

I'm personally leaning towards the 8GB model myself. I currently have a 16GB Captivate and I'm only using approximately 3.3GB, the majority of which is some music I've decided to store locally and apps I haven't touched in months, as well as carrier bloat. If we assume my usage will go down to 3GB after pushing out the fluff, and potentially lower if I go completely cloud based, 8GB is more than enough. We'll see though. I'm not hurting for the extra $50 so I might grab the 16GB just for the peace of mind over the next 2+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Total space a little under 7 Gb
    Available space a little over 5 Gb.

So, both of you are right.
    Shouldn't total space be 7.45GB?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by masqueofhastur View Post
    He/she is taking into account the firmware.

I can't really afford that, so I'll have to take some sacrifices sadly. It can't be that bad I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by masqueofhastur View Post
    how did you come at 7.45 Gb??? 8 Gb memory will have a little less than 7 Gb and Android use a bit of space so available will be like 5.5 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrid View Post
    To more directly answer the question: an 8GB device has 7.45GB of useable/logical storage space (8,000,000,000 bytes as advertised / 1024^3 actual logical bytes). I would imagine JB to take up anywhere from 1-1.5GB of storage space, leaving you with anywhere from 5.95GB to 6.45GB of actual storage space for your apps, photos, music, etc.

I'm personally leaning towards the 8GB model myself. I currently have a 16GB Captivate and I'm only using approximately 3.3GB, the majority of which is some music I've decided to store locally and apps I haven't touched in months, as well as carrier bloat. If we assume my usage will go down to 3GB after pushing out the fluff, and potentially lower if I go completely cloud based, 8GB is more than enough. We'll see though. I'm not hurting for the extra $50 so I might grab the 16GB just for the peace of mind over the next 2+ years.
    Everything you said is bang on what I'm thinking except for the last part. I'm hurting for cash and that is conflicting with the 2yr peace of mind. I do like to put on lots of music (lots of variety for a weekend extravaganza) and the occasional movie when I'm on the road for a while. An 8gb will test my ability to manage my media at multiple points in time.

On the return policy, who pays the return shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    how did you come at 7.45 Gb??? 8 Gb memory will have a little less than 7 Gb and Android use a bit of space so available will be like 5.5 or something.
    8 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 7.45.

I'll be getting a 8GB Nexus 4, and a 32GB Nexus 7. My Nexus 4 will mostly be for Apps and a few pictures, since those auto-upload to Dropbox. I use Google Music for my music. And I'll have unlimited unthrottled data.

I also barely use 2.5GB on my Galaxy Nexus (toroplus) now.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Can anyone who has received one answer this now?

Am I happy with the sizes of storage google gives for the N4? Ahh no!! however, here's reality the more space you have the more most people tend to use for crap they dont need on their phone, I did the same thing with my GNex until I got stuck only getting the 8GB N4, then I realized I had lots of CWM backups etc on there and pictures of stuff I already have in the cloud and dont look at everyday. I'm sure we'll get by with 8 but I plan to get 16 soon.
    May the little green robot be with you!
    wahoo25 likes this.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

So, actual storage space on an 8GB? by someone who got it?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12