Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    going_home's Avatar
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

    Posts
    393 Posts

    Question Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Anyone have any idea exactly how much useable space is on a new 8 gigabyte Nexus 4 ?
    Wondering if I am going to buy one or not.
    The extra $50 will kill it for me, would buy more than one.


    Hebrews 13:8
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Anyone have any idea exactly how much useable space is on a new 8 gigabyte Nexus 4 ?
    Wondering if I am going to buy one or not.
    The extra $50 will kill it for me, would buy more than one.


    about 5.5 gb
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Well the 16GB Galaxy Nexus has 13.33GB total space, so the Nexus 4 will likely report something like 6.66GB total. Its kinda weird because its reported differently in decimals and binary, and the formatted size of an 8GB chip is less than 8GB... Subtract a couple GB for the OS and there you go.

    I think the only devices out for review are 16GB, so we won't know for sure until the 8GB goes on sale.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  4. #4  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Its just under 7gigs, don't remember the exact number.
  5. #5  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,261 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaguy99 View Post
    Its just under 7gigs, don't remember the exact number.
    Actually its a little over 5gb

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaguy99 View Post
    Its just under 7gigs, don't remember the exact number.
    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Actually its a little over 5gb

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Total space a little under 7 Gb
    Available space a little over 5 Gb.

    So, both of you are right.
    RenoD2010 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    8MP pictures weight 800mb or 8mb each? I have lots of pictures and I like to have them in my phone. My current camera is 5MP and photos barely take any space.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    8MP pictures weight 800mb or 8mb each? I have lots of pictures and I like to have them in my phone. My current camera is 5MP and photos barely take any space.
    800MB? Could you imagine if each picture was that big? lmao

    an 8MP JPEG will only be a couple MB. There's compression involved in shooting JPEG.

    My 12MP RAW photos from my Micro 4/3 camera are about 14MB in size. But if I shoot in JPEG, the file sizes are multiple times smaller.

    Don't worry about filling up your internal storage with photos from the phone's camera, you'd have to take thousands and thousands and never remove them.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  9. #9  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,439 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Or upload whatever massive files you carry around on your phone to the cloud B-)
    ahylianhuman likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    800MB? Could you imagine if each picture was that big? lmao

    an 8MP JPEG will only be a couple MB. There's compression involved in shooting JPEG.

    My 12MP RAW photos from my Micro 4/3 camera are about 14MB in size. But if I shoot in JPEG, the file sizes are multiple times smaller.

    Don't worry about filling up your internal storage with photos from the phone's camera, you'd have to take thousands and thousands and never remove them.
    This may sound ridiculous but my dad for his job shoots 25 for sports each. Its crazy how large they get.

    Agreed with about 5gb remaining.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    This may sound ridiculous but my dad for his job shoots 25 for sports each. Its crazy how large they get.

    Agreed with about 5gb remaining.
    And he likely has a grouping of 32GB SDcards to use too lol.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    So what exactly are you doing to fill up a phone's internal storage at the rate of 4GB per day? And what's the graph of this usage look like over time? You're going to fill up even the largest phone capacities available in ~24 days.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  14. #14  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Um, what? What the heck are you putting on your phone?
    ConTejas likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Total space a little under 7 Gb
    Available space a little over 5 Gb.

    So, both of you are right.
    its actually about 6gb(+/- 2gb)


    as far as how far will the 8gb go, I think it would be better than what people expect. Honestly most of the space on my Gnex is taken up basically because I just don't delete uneeded zips/apks, and backups. Keeping a bunch of backups ON your phone is a bad practice as is, you should always transfer those to something else with the storage being fixed and non-removable. In the event something does happen, your kinda screwed with the backup only being on your phone. Its fine if you keep 1 backup, but anymore than that usually isn't needed. Same thing for rom zips, I have no reason for keeping versions 8.0 on up of jellybelly along with all the different gapps, but i do simply because i just never bother to delete them. The rom files with gapps alone is probably 2gb+. I I know not everyone uses streaming but I do, so music isn't an issue for me when it comes to space either. Would I like more space? Yes, but I can live completely normal without it, I just have to not get messy with what I store on it.
  16. #16  
    blacksapphire08's Avatar

    Posts
    221 Posts
    ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by reidoreilly View Post
    its actually about 6gb(+/- 2gb)


    as far as how far will the 8gb go, I think it would be better than what people expect. Honestly most of the space on my Gnex is taken up basically because I just don't delete uneeded zips/apks, and backups. Keeping a bunch of backups ON your phone is a bad practice as is, you should always transfer those to something else with the storage being fixed and non-removable. In the event something does happen, your kinda screwed with the backup only being on your phone. Its fine if you keep 1 backup, but anymore than that usually isn't needed. Same thing for rom zips, I have no reason for keeping versions 8.0 on up of jellybelly along with all the different gapps, but i do simply because i just never bother to delete them. The rom files with gapps alone is probably 2gb+. I I know not everyone uses streaming but I do, so music isn't an issue for me when it comes to space either. Would I like more space? Yes, but I can live completely normal without it, I just have to not get messy with what I store on it.
    Well that's you, i have most of the internal 16Gb filled on my Amaze and a 16Gb microSD that is completely filled. If I was more decisive on what to keep I could swing a phone with only 16Gb of storage but 8Gb is ridiculous. At that point you're not using the phone to its full capabilities IMO.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    going_home's Avatar
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

    Posts
    393 Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post
    Well that's you, i have most of the internal 16Gb filled on my Amaze and a 16Gb microSD that is completely filled. If I was more decisive on what to keep I could swing a phone with only 16Gb of storage but 8Gb is ridiculous. At that point you're not using the phone to its full capabilities IMO.
    Just pics and a vid or two. Mostly apps from the store. No music or any movies.
    Mostly just use it for a communication device, calls, texts, email.
    I have audio files on my tablet if I want to listen to them.
    Hebrews 13:8
  18. #18  
    Runningwarrior08's Avatar

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Honestly going through the storage on my Gnex. I currently have 3GB usable, after deleting the files for the games I only play ion my tablet I am only using a few gigs then. I have the cloud for storage along with netflix etc, and my tablet has 64gigs. Which usually is always with me. So for me I am really debating getting the 8 gig version and saving a few dollars... Worst case scenario I sell it for a slight loss and buy a new shiny 16gb...
    pceasar likes this.
  19. #19  
    DanSan's Avatar

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    my 32gb galaxy nexus (verizon) i use like 20 or so. idk how i'd deal with a 16gb nexus 4.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    I have been considering the 8 gig version because I use my nexus 7 for games and music. The nexus 4 would only have communication apps on it which aren't big at all. The lack of an SD card doesn't bother me at all either. I lost a bunch of new born pics of my daughter due to a SD card going bad. Since then I always backed my pics up to my computer and cloud.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #21  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    I've had my galaxy nexus since August of last year, I have a 16gig and I still have 7.85gig's free. There goes your argument.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Oh I see lol. I just check my pictures and they where like 780k each. Still I have like 2 gigs of pictures in my phone, I guess I can just look at them via a Skydrive app.
  23. #23  
    rickydavis1051's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    I have like 1500-2000 pictures alone lol

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  
    N8ter's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    800MB? Could you imagine if each picture was that big? lmao

    an 8MP JPEG will only be a couple MB. There's compression involved in shooting JPEG.

    My 12MP RAW photos from my Micro 4/3 camera are about 14MB in size. But if I shoot in JPEG, the file sizes are multiple times smaller.

    Don't worry about filling up your internal storage with photos from the phone's camera, you'd have to take thousands and thousands and never remove them.
    A decent 8MP camera (i.e. Galaxy SII) will shoot full resolution pictures between 3 and 3.5MP each. That's pretty big. A camera that compresses the image more may be able to save some space. The 12 MP camera on the Sony Xperia ion I had tok pictures around the same size as my Skyrocket, but compression was higher. The Vivid's 8MP camera was on par with the Skyrocket for output image size. That's fairly large. No smartphone camera shoots RAW so that's not worth mentioning.

    Available Space will be a little over 5GB, which is not a lot of space - borderline unusable amount of space unless you're on an unlimited data plan, don't go to any highly populous destinations (where HSPA+ falls flat on its face, making a mockery of "the cloud"), and almost barely use your phone. I went to the Zoo last month and the HSPA+ connection was so bogged down that I could barely load Google.com on my phone. I ended up putting it in Airplane mode, which renders the cloud inaccessible.

    Add up your Pictures - both sideloaded and taken, Videos - both sideloaded and recorded (720p is heavy enough, 1080p can be something like 100MB or more per minute of footage in size), Apps, Games (some of which require significant download sizes to play them), Documents, Music - unless you want to hedge your bets on Google Music, however when the cloud is inaccessible/speeds are too slow you are going to be SoL (or have your battery destroyed while others put their phones in Airplane mode and use 10% of their battery in 2 hours of constant music playback).

    The 5.x GB space becomes a huge drawback when you consider all of that.

    Take it from me. I had an 8GB iPod Touch. You do not want a phone with only 8GB storage. I am not saying don't get the phone. I am saying save up another week or two and just get the 16GB variant and save yourself the potential (or eventual, in many cases people think it isn't a problem but they simply haven't fully evaluated their requirements and use cases) headache and/or buyers remorse (of that specific storage capacity N4).
  25. #25  
    N8ter's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Oh I see lol. I just check my pictures and they where like 780k each. Still I have like 2 gigs of pictures in my phone, I guess I can just look at them via a Skydrive app.
    SkyDrive Auto-Uploaded pictures from Windows Phone were compressed down. In WP8 they give an option to Sync full resolution, in WP 7/7.5 they were compressed with no choice from you. Google+ Instant Upload images are also compressed down if they are larger than 2048px on their longest side. None of that gives a true indication of what size the images are when the phone takes them. My HD7 took images that were 2-3MB in size (averaging somewhere in the middle) with a 5MP camera. My Vibrant took Pictures Mid 2-just under 3MB in size average with a 5MP camera. The 8MP camera on the Nexus 4 should give image output sizes on par with the GS2/3/HTC 8MP camera devices, which is close to 3-3.7 or so depending on lighting conditions, settings (Super Fine), etc. They'll be significantly larger than 780k each.

    $50 for double the storage is worth it, even if you have to budget hard and wait 2 extra weeks to get the phone. As a Windows Phone user you know exactly how much of a PITA it was for those people who had no choice but to get an 8GB phone, and how many of them wished they had gotten a different device just for the higher storage capacity.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How much space does a backup take up?
    By Network24 in forum T-Mobile Vibrant Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM
  2. How much space do i need for GB OTA?
    By Delta_Sigma_Pi in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
  4. How much space do you have for gaming?
    By Spartan745 in forum Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 12:45 AM
  5. How much space do I really need available?
    By NewYorkLaw in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

B